What grinds your gears?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
What grinds my gears are in no particular order.

1. Personalised number plates, especially on cr*p cars. By having 53XY1 on a ford fiesta shows the world that a) You are vein b) You have as much depth as a puddle c) You are either unfortunate and had to downgrade or you have no brains at all being as how your number plate is worth more than the car.

2. People who ride bikes with the seat fully down with flat tyres and don't understand the concept of gears. For my own sanity and to give me at least some faith in humanity PUMP UP YOUR TYRES and CHANGE GEAR, there are other options other than 'washing machine on spin style' or in the style of 'stiring some concrete that is already half set'

3. Fatuous spouting of megapixels on camera's and smartphones. Look unless you have some kind of 6 foot printer at home its completely pointless.

4. Spending £500 on a bike part to save 100g! I would like to move less mass so I have stopped eating cake at breakfast time, that should be far more helpful for both my health and my bank account.

5. Finally, people who bang on about 'the right weather for the type of bike'. Im sorry but bikes are not made out of styrofoam. Clean it every now and then, it will be ok. So unless its gale force 9 with weather that goes sideways your bike can cope, just clean it now and then.

I realise at this point most of my 5 items are bike related but its open to all things not bike related.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Forgot to add:

6. People who go 'ah' after every sip of tea.

7. People who can't say 'february' properly

8. sad old whining lefties that bang on about common sense.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    People using the wrong homophone, putting a completely different context on what they presumably meant to write e.g. you are vein (meaning you are a blood vessel) and you are vain (meaning conceited) ;)
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Pross wrote:
    People using the wrong homophone, putting a completely different context on what they presumably meant to write e.g. you are vein (meaning you are a blood vessel) and you are vain (meaning conceited) ;)

Ahmen brother!
    (Was that you off the back with me last week?)

Now, please add twats who can't work our where their light switch is, when it's foggy, doubly so for those who don't realise that side lights are a complete waste of time in said fog, I can see your car looming through the mist, before I see those little candles on the corners & trebly so, for those who feel a bit of mist is this a reason to put their rear fog lights on & then leave them on until about July! :x
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • People on bikes who jump red lights, then sneer at you for not doing likewise. Some bloke blew past me last night at a red light, shouted "you're on a bike mate, you can do what you like" as he rode off...

Grr. No you can't! Bike, car, motorcycle, animal, vegetable or mineral, the rules are the same for everyone!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    The little shit who nearly rode into me on the pavement as I was walking into a shop, who had the audacity to look back and stare me out because I said "for fuck's sake" as he nearly hit me.

And the vein/vain thing.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited March 2012
    1. People who say 'for f*cks sakes' instead of 'for f*ck's sake' for f*ck's sake.

2. Young blokes who spit on the pavement to try and act all 'hard and intimidating' :)

3. People who blip the throttle on motorbikes while coasting or stationery.

4. People you get stuck driving behind, who drive way below the speed limit, say 40 on an A-road, and then you enter a 40 mile an hour limit and you don't even have to slow down. They shouldn't be on the roads.

5. People who muck about finding the right change at a till or checkout, counting at a snails pace, holding the queue up when they could just pay quicker by paying with something bigger and get a bit of change, but not hold the queue up.

6. People who queue for something like an ice-cream or fast food, just in front of you for minutes and with more people waiting behind you as well, and they reach the front of the queue, get served and haven't decided what they want and start dithering.

7. Traffic police.

8. People who work in council offices etc, who seem to work at a speed that makes you think they had cannabis instead of cornflakes for breakfast, and who wouldn't be able to hold down a job in a commercial environment where you had to actually work efficiently as part of your job.

9. Covent Garden Soup Company soup cartons, cos they have those tetra pack (?) fold out spouts, but they never work, you always end up having to p1ss bout trying to get them open properly.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    mr_eddy wrote:
    What grinds my gears are in no particular order.

2. People who ride bikes with the seat fully down with flat tyres and don't understand the concept of gears. For my own sanity and to give me at least some faith in humanity PUMP UP YOUR TYRES and CHANGE GEAR, there are other options other than 'washing machine on spin style' or in the style of 'stiring some concrete that is already half set'
    this and never putting any oil on the chain, you can hear it from 500 yards away really grips my sh1t.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    rake wrote:
    really grips my sh1t.

:shock:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    "Touchy" lot aren't ya.

Still, if it gets it off ya chest fair-do's.

It's what places such as cake stop are for, long may it continue. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    mfin wrote:
    4. People you get stuck driving behind, who drive way below the speed limit, say 40 on an A-road, and then you enter a 40 mile an hour limit and you don't even have to slow down. They shouldn't be on the roads.

People who come hurtling up behind me when i'm driving at 40 mph, cos i'm in no rush, left in plenty of time and i'm just enjoying the drive, who then sit on my ar$e unable to bring themselves to overtake me, despite numerous opportunities, the bottleless beggars :P ...FFSakes, just overtake me :D
    (nothing personal of course :wink: )

TBF, i don't do that on A roads, but do on Bs.
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    The bloke at the pub yesterday afternoon who said 'no bike's worth a thousand pounds' and you 'can buy a car for that' as if he was making some kind of point or indeed sense.
    Cowards who just cannot put their foot down on motorway sliproads therefore turning themselves in to quivering human brick walls.
    Taxi drivers who think the rules don't apply to them because they're taxi drivers, including the one who was driving towards me on the wrong side of the road in Newcastle town center, almost causing a head on smash while I was on the Triumph.
    Passing a Mcd's and seeing people feeding it to children.
    Able bodied people who buy electric bicycles, calorie hoarders they are....buy a scooter and have done with it stop playing about.
    About everything else the human race does.
    Cockroaches, horseflies, sheep ticks, Jedward.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • People who abbreviate 'et cetera' incorrectly. It should be spelt 'etc' nor 'ect'.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    centimani wrote:
    mfin wrote:

People who come hurtling up behind me when i'm driving at 40 mph, cos i'm in no rush, left in plenty of time and i'm just enjoying the drive, who then sit on my ar$e unable to bring themselves to overtake me, despite numerous opportunities, the bottleless beggars :P ...FFSakes, just overtake me :D
    (nothing personal of course :wink: )

TBF, i don't do that on A roads, but do on Bs.

Saying that, I will overtake someone who's been going 40mph for ages, and then because they were going 20mph slower for no good reason, I will then go a another 20mph slower in front of them for the same amount of miles, it makes me feel ever so cheery doing that occasionally, its a good free way to have a smile :)

(I'll just add I wouldn't do that if they let people past or if there was plenty of places to overtake).

Here's one that's more annoying then... someone driving so slowly that if they look in their rear view mirror they can see they've got a dozen or so cars behind them, but it never occurs to them to pull over and let them all past. That's inconsiderate when its obvious the average driver wants to go a bit quicker and the evidence of it is literally queueing up behind them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Blair's.

Women who drop their kids off at school and then stand in the entrance's yakking, blocking everyones way.

People who stop cars both ways in the road to "have a chat".

The olympic committes decision making process.

Boris Johnson, the man is a buffoon and an embarrassment.

I could go on but I am trying to find my inner happiness. :)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    the clowns running the country :twisted:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The poor quality of most bread in this country.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Modern day 'hippies' - I can't stand them. "Hey man, I live in Cornwall, I'm so cool and I feel so free" The type that turn up on the beach and think they're the first people to have shitty hair and purple hemp clothing. Then they'll get out a hula hoop or juggling balls and try and impress everyone. F*ckkkkkk offffffffffff!!!!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

And now it looks like my ad has been removed. Well played.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Modern day 'hippies' - I can't stand them. "Hey man, I live in Cornwall, I'm so cool and I feel so free" The type that turn up on the beach and think they're the first people to have shitty hair and purple hemp clothing. Then they'll get out a hula hoop or juggling balls and try and impress everyone. F*ckkkkkk offffffffffff!!!!!
    +1.
    especially the one's who do the Diablo's, grrrrrrrr.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sticking a bit of paper in the shredder and wandering off, only to hear it continue spinning because it's now full and doesn't stop when it's done. That does my head in big time.

Man Utd. I really cannot stand them, or more specifically their glory-hunting bypass all the usual emotions involved in supporting a normal team fans. Yeah- go on. You just pick a team whose lowest ebb is finishing 2nd in the league, and leave all the disappointment and relegation battles to the rest of us.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    1. People who litter - hate it!
    2. People with dogs who fling the bag of poo into a hedge
    3. People who will walk past recycling bins and chuck the tv or whatever into a bin
    4. Club cyclists who seemingly would rather die than smile
    5. Public infatuation with toffs
    6. Professional climate change deniers - mainly tabloid 'commentators'
    7. Football fans who put their team before moral principles e.g. Suarez supporters
    8. High street drunks en masse on Saturday nights
    9. cling film
    10. British water pressure/showers - why so wimpy and complicated?

But aye, mustn't grumble
  • rake
    Alain Quay wrote:
    10. British water pressure/showers - why so wimpy and complicated?
    this comment is grinding my gears.
  • The poor quality of most bread in this country.

I've started baking my own. About 15-20 minutes of work (including the washing up), spread out over 4-5 hours, along with about 40 pence for flour and 10 pence for dried yeast and salt gives me two loaves of quality bread that tastes so much better than most supermarket bread which cost over £1 a loaf now.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    In Australia, NZ etc you take a shower and turn on the taps and water comes out full pressure. Simple.
    In the UK, you stay in a say, a B & B and you decide to take a shower
    1) you turn on the shower
    2) you realise you have to get out of shower and pull the cord/flick the switch that switches on the heater
    3) youget back in the shower
    4) you have two dials on the shower, and spend the next 10 mins adjusting each, while the
    water, which comes out a trickle/is cold/is scalding/is cold/etc. Hopeless.
  • rake
    Alain Quay wrote:
    In Australia, NZ etc you take a shower and turn on the taps and water comes out full pressure. Simple.
    In the UK, you stay in a say, a B & B and you decide to take a shower
    1) you turn on the shower
    2) you realise you have to get out of shower and pull the cord/flick the switch that switches on the heater
    3) youget back in the shower
    4) you have two dials on the shower, and spend the next 10 mins adjusting each, while the
    water, which comes out a trickle/is cold/is scalding/is cold/etc. Hopeless.
    one dial just sets the power through the element. no need to spend 10 minutes on that. the other dial adjusts the water flow rate to alter the temperature, slower water=more temperature, faster water=less temperature. crap showers only flow a trickle because they havent the power to get the temperature at a good flow rate. same in winter, water starts off colder so has to flow more slowly to heat up.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Aggieboy wrote:

But they can't just stay the feck in Cornwall can they, no they go 'travellin' get bloody everywhere, and insist on staying in wigwams (they will only call them teepees though) or yurts!

Nice people though, just have weird lifestyle choices, eg vegetarians the lot of them :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    team47b wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

But they can't just stay the feck in Cornwall can they, no they go 'travellin' get bloody everywhere, and insist on staying in wigwams (they will only call them teepees though) or yurts!

Nice people though, just have weird lifestyle choices, eg vegetarians the lot of them :D

Some of 'em obviously f*ckkkkkk offfffffffffff to Portugal.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • team47b
    Aggieboy wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Some of 'em obviously f*ckkkkkk offfffffffffff to Portugal.

Yeah, I know I have met some here!
  • team47b
    @aggieboy

Wait a minute...are you insinuating that I'm Cornish? :D