Chromoplastic Mudguards rubbing on tyres

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I've just finished fitting my new SKS chromoplastic mudguards to my bike and they seem to fit fine apart from the fronts of both mudguards are causing problems.

The rear mudguard has an eyelet which fixes to the brake axle and grips around the side of the plastic guard but at the front of the guard there's what looks like a clip or just a slither of metal that looks like it should be pressed up against something and I just can't seem to find where it's supposed to go and the way it's sitting is rubbing against the tyre unless I physically hold it off the tyre.

As for the front mudguard, the eyelet is fixed so it is not adjustable and when tightened up to the brake axle and fork eyes, the front part rubs against the tyre.

Am I missing something here? They're for 700c tyres and I'm running 700x23s so what's the problem?

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Try a plastic tie from the eyelet to the seat tube to pull the guard away from the tyre-Im running 25mms with them on a race bike and they just about fit if you dont mind the odd bit of grit getting in the way.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The rear mudguard has an eyelet which fixes to the brake axle and grips around the side of the plastic guard but at the front of the guard there's what looks like a clip or just a slither of metal that looks like it should be pressed up against something and I just can't seem to find where it's supposed to go and the way it's sitting is rubbing against the tyre unless I physically hold it off the tyre.

As for the front mudguard, the eyelet is fixed so it is not adjustable and when tightened up to the brake axle and fork eyes, the front part rubs against the tyre.

If the front of the front is rubbing the tyre, then probably the back is too far away. If you loosen the bolts on the stays and move the back of the guard closer to the tyre, the front should move away. In theory anyway.

As for the back - not so sure here. On my old tourer, there is a cross member behind the bottom bracket and the guard is held to it by a bit of springy metal that clips them together. Check the last post in this thread - viewtopic.php?p=15901298
    Faster than a tent.......
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    ... but at the front of the guard there's what looks like a clip or just a slither of metal that looks like it should be pressed up against something and I just can't seem to find where it's supposed to go and the way it's sitting is rubbing against the tyre unless I physically hold it off the tyre.

it sounds like your bike has no chainstay bridge. Have a look at this website: http://bostonretrowheelmen.bostonbiker.org/2010/06/12/installing-fenders-on-a-road-bike-not-designed-for-them/ for an idea.

There are other options too, like using two zip ties to attach it to the chain stays themselves.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    g00se wrote:
    ... but at the front of the guard there's what looks like a clip or just a slither of metal that looks like it should be pressed up against something and I just can't seem to find where it's supposed to go and the way it's sitting is rubbing against the tyre unless I physically hold it off the tyre.

it sounds like your bike has no chainstay bridge. Have a look at this website: http://bostonretrowheelmen.bostonbiker.org/2010/06/12/installing-fenders-on-a-road-bike-not-designed-for-them/ for an idea.

There are other options too, like using two zip ties to attach it to the chain stays themselves.

What he said.
    That sounds exactly like what the problem is.
    I had this issue on my Giant Rapid hybrid bike. Normally the bottom front of the rear mudguard would be fixed to a bridge at the end of the chainstay, near the junction of chainstay and seatstay.

My Kinesis racelight has this bride, my Giant rapid does not. However my mudguards (tortec chromoplastics) comes with a plastic thingy which can be fixed to the bridge point of the chainstays to act like a bridge.
    If you do not have this bridge it can be difficult to get the mudguard to take the proper shape, and it will almost always rub some parts of the tyres.

Check again amongst the fixings which came with the mudguards. You sure they did not come with an adapter?