Crusing speed

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just wondering what most people's sustainable cruising speed is? Basically the speed you do on the flat at a moderate pace so not stamping on the pedals and not sitting back watching the scenery somewhere in the middle.

On the flat bits on my commute I usually hover around 18.5-20 mph, at that speed I tend to pass most people on the cycle paths (although these are usually people on old MTB's or shopper bikes so nothing to brag about). This is on a alu road bike with 20 speed standard double. I don't carry much and I weigh 75kgs, bike weighs 9kgs

I just thought it would be interesting to see what most people do.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I'm about the same on the country road section of my commute, no real effort just riding about 70% of my MHR with no wind I'm around 19 to 20mph but I'm sure someone will be along soon to say how they never go less than 25mph on the flat ;)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'm a bit slower at the moment - probably about 17-18mph. Been very lazy of late, hence speed drop - it used to be closer to 20 most of the time.

I did find myself pootling a couple of weeks ago (14-ish mph) and remember thinking how lovely it was!
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    35-40 kph when there's no blasted wind
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    104 mph on the flat. That's my willy-waving done, here's another one...

William-Hague-addresses-t-002.jpg

Norm is to not drop below 20mph as much as poss, and to make up for it after a climb by exceeding 20. In the real world though my cruising speed on the flat is around 19-20, all things being equal.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Just back from a 48km jaunt from St Neots to the outskirts of Bedford then Kimbolton and Into the wind I was doing 20-25kph then 30-35kph on the way back. Happy with that this early in the year!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    Try to keep it above 30kph.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I would appear to be fairly standard then.

On the flat, not pushing it but not loitering either, with little to no wind - 18-20mph.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Just back from a 48km jaunt from St Neots to the outskirts of Bedford then Kimbolton and Into the wind I was doing 20-25kph then 30-35kph on the way back. Happy with that this early in the year!

B660 through Grafham and Perry? The head wind on that road can be a nightmare. The road surface is pants too, especially as you get closer to Hargrave. I was out that way on Sunday, loads of motorbikes out.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    jordan_217 wrote:

B660 through Grafham and Perry? The head wind on that road can be a nightmare. The road surface is pants too, especially as you get closer to Hargrave. I was out that way on Sunday, loads of motorbikes out.

Going out west out of St Neots it was head on then as my loop took me north it on my left side and slightly head on then coming back it was from the side again. Seemed to be no matter which direction I took I never had the wind behind me! I find the surface varies between very good and at one point I was weaving trying to find a route through the potholes!!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I know of a guy who did 80mph down Hardknott IIRC, tee hee
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Monkeypump
    thecrofter wrote:

IIRC, his (stationery) kitchen table was doing 20mph in one photo! :lol:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I'm doing about 17-18 at the minute, hopefully this will improve with more time on the bike.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i nearly got knocked off today - my cursing speed was 120 swear words a minute, :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    jordan_217 wrote:
    The road surface is pants too, ....
    Slightly OT: I'm amazed at how much difference the road surface makes, Prawny and I hit a brand new stretch of tarmac on our regular route and find that almost instantly we've gained at least 1mph.
  • thecrofter
    Monkeypump wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

Did he have an envelope on it? If not it was stationary [/pedant]
  • thecrofter
    Gizmodo wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    The road surface is pants too, ....
    Slightly OT: I'm amazed at how much difference the road surface makes, Prawny and I hit a brand new stretch of tarmac on our regular route and find that almost instantly we've gained at least 1mph.
    On particularly rough surfaces I sometimes cycle along the white line on the edge of the road. It's a bit of a risky strategy though, last year while doing this I hit a skuzzy bit of white line and had a bit of an off, dislocating a finger, maybe not my best plan. :oops:
  • I'd probably say about 20-21, not that there are many flat roads in Wales :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Monkeypump
    thecrofter wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

Did he have an envelope on it? If not it was stationary [/pedant]

It's a fair cop! Had momentary brain-fark, couldn't be bothered to check my -ery/-ary use. Fifty lashes with the cat-o-nine-tails for me.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    andy46 wrote:
    I'm doing about 17-18 at the minute
    Impressive not to make any spelling mistakes doing that speed and typing at the same time.
  • thecrofter wrote:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of it was Kirkstone.[/pedant]
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    thecrofter wrote:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of it was Kirkstone.[/pedant]
    Was he on a hybrid by any chance? :lol:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    18mph is a nice speed to cruise, not out of breath, just enjoy the scenery. I usually put a little more effort in and cruise at about 20 though. Rough roads knock at least 1mph off.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    So given all the responses most people are around the 20mph mark give or take. I completely agree about road surface, on Sunday I went out to Epperstone Bypass near Lowdham and hit 27 or 28 without really pushing. The road is glass smooth. Its amazing how much of a difference rolling resistance makes.

Makes you wonder what the TDF boys roll at without really trying, if a average Jo like me on a alu race bike can get 20 ish and up to 28 ish then I bet those boys can hit 30 just crusing.

Cavo don't suppose you're about are you, can you elucidate for us? Lol
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Cavo don't suppose you're about are you, can you elucidate for us? Lol
    Why don't you tweet him and ask?
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I have to put quite a bit of effort in to maintain 20mph. I can chat at 16mph, although even a small hill will drag that down (the beer belly doesn't contribute to climbing a hill, unfortunately). I have a few climbs close to home, and it's always depressing seeing my average speed drop so much just at the end of a ride!

Seems like I'm the slowest so far :oops: Although weight is going down and speeds are going up gradually.
  • thecrofter
    I have to put quite a bit of effort in to maintain 20mph. I can chat at 16mph, although even a small hill will drag that down (the beer belly doesn't contribute to climbing a hill, unfortunately). I have a few climbs close to home, and it's always depressing seeing my average speed drop so much just at the end of a ride!

Seems like I'm the slowest so far :oops: Although weight is going down and speeds are going up gradually.

Hmmm, I have to be a little sceptical of claims of 20-25mph "cruising". I've done quite a few sportives and have always finished in the top half of the field (as an example I finish in the top 1000 of the Caledonia Etape with an average of 19mph, usually the fastest ride of the year). I cruise at around 15-16mph. I dare say if you are all club members and all regularly putting in 60-70 mile weeks and 10mile TT's under 25mins, I can eat my words, but.......
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    I could tell you what my long-term overall average speed is, but wouldn't hazard a guess at an average cruising speed, as that is only really knowable on a completely level road, with no wind, and a decent surface. It only takes a slight tailwind/headwind, or an imperceptible gradient, and you can add/subtract a few mph. And given that there is hardly ever a windless day, and there are no flat roads in Devon, and not that many with a good cycling surface, I'm not going to guess. Add to that the question of what people define as 'cruising speed (for one minute, 30 minutes or three hours?) and you end up with far too many variables to make a meaningful comparison.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    20mph on the venge, that thing purrs along at 20, eating tarmac.