Tapered headset trouble. (planet x carbon fork)

The_JML
The_JML Posts: 132
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi. Iv recently purchased a carbon planet x fork with a description of a non tapered 1 1/8 steerer so i knew it would fit obviously......how wrong was I....

The fork is completely 1 1/8 to about 2cm away from the top of the fork. It then increases in size to roughly 1 1/2 - 2 inches. All the tapered forks i have seen have an actual taper to the steerer as in they slowly increase in size with no fluctuations whereas this one just balloons out at the bottom. I have an integrated headset where the lower bearing sits about 1.5 cm off the top of the fork. If i remove the bottom bearing from the frame it fits well but when the stems fitted does not feel snug as usual.

So the question is, time for another new fork or a headset change?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Have you spoken to Planet X? They may have sent you the wrong fork - this sounds a bit weird!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The_JML
    No as they were purchased through ebay. They are the forks which came with the nanolight frame so may only be compatible with eachother maybe? Anyway they are for sale on ebay and i have pics of them so you can see what i mean. Just search for planet x carbon forks. There on a blue team alu frame and the forks are white. Thanks
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    Yep sounds like the forks are 1 1/2 lower bearing which probably wont be compatable with your frame.

Even the photo's on ebay show it fitted idealy not quite how it should be ie the frame headtube is rather slim and these forks would normally be fitted to a frame with a very oversize headtube.

The term always look twice at a bargain is springing to mind :(
  • The_JML
    I did ask the guy about it being tapered and he replied no, so yeh, not quite.
  • kippy
    Ah i see you are re-selling them.

Good luck.
  • kippy
    I'd be leaving bad feedback for the seller then, he clearly made the same mistake that unfotunately you did but thats no reason to do the same.

Bad form on his behalf. :(
  • The_JML
    Yes, the ebay listing is my listing of the forks. His listing was vague with no clear pictures. I think they look abit daft on the small headtube like mentioned previously anyway. Dont suppose anyone has some NON tapered forks they want to sell me. Preferably black under 400g. ;)