Which chainrings ?

Zidane
Zidane Posts: 140
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, the drivetrain on my mtb is ready for an overhaul and I wondered which would be the right chainrings to order for my 8 speed hardock as I am unsure.
I've already picked up a brand new 8 speed sram cassette off ebay amd just need the cahingrings and chain.
Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what crankset is fitted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There is a formula for working out the best chain rings whether you choose a triple or a compact
    A cheat is to download an app for your android which will calculate your ratios for less crossovers (Duplications) of gears.
    The app I use is called Cycling Calculator and its free.
    It gives results in inches or metric , also has some other nice features i haven't used yet.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But that doesn't tell him what is compatible, and I am pretty sure he will stick with the ratios on there. In many cases you only have a narrow band to choose from.

Need to know what chainset.
  • Zidane
    I know that there is a Truvativ power spline crankset on it at the moment of that helps ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so any 104mm BCD 4 bolt rings then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zidane
    Thanks. Something like this then ? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5699
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes but you may need to take a file to the shoulders to get it to fit correctly.

Truvativ ones should fit with no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    For the price of a set of chainrings, you could probably get a new crankset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Zidane wrote:
    if its the SR ones you get on hardrocks, the shimano rings are no good, the SR chainrings are threaded and use a single bolt to fasten them, not an inner and outer like the deore rings use, if that makes any sense to you, my advice, buy a new crankset, something like a deore
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Zidane
  • chez_m356
    Zidane wrote:
    i think you need to check and make sure which bb you have, hardrocks usually have shimano ES25 octalink, i don't think there compatible with the ISIS stuff, i could be wrong, but it wont hurt to make sure
  • cooldad
    If you have a powerspline BB, that is the correct set.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Zidane
    Yes thanks. Its an 06 Hardrock and has the powerspline BB. Thanks again.
  • chez_m356
    Zidane wrote:
    now that info would have made it so much easier :)
  • Zidane
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Zidane wrote:

:oops: Apologies.
  • chez_m356
    Zidane wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Zidane wrote:

:oops: Apologies.
    none necessary, would have been just as easy for one of us to ask which model it was etc, but sometimes we just don't think :lol:
  • cooldad
    Er we did and he answered in his second post. Reading is obviously not your strong point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    cooldad wrote:
    Er we did and he answered in his second post. Reading is obviously not your strong point.
    which is why i said he needed to make sure which bb it was, since there was no model year given and the later ones use octalink, he may have misidentified it, which is why i asked him to double check, you were saying about reading and strong points ??? :wink:
  • supersonic wrote:
    But that doesn't tell him what is compatible, and I am pretty sure he will stick with the ratios on there. In many cases you only have a narrow band to choose from.

Need to know what chainset.
    yes as i see this is a crank issue when i saw the bit about the sram cassette i thought it was about chainring sizes not the bcd issue he was asking about.