Tubeless Help..

ollie_lucas1985
ollie_lucas1985 Posts: 325
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I was out for a ride the other day and got a flat, so tried to change it in forrest .. fail! Luckily I was riding pretty local to me so walked the bike home!

I decided that while changing the flat it would be a good time to put on my new tyres I got for my birthday, however when I tried to get the tyre off to fix the flat this eve it just wouldnt come off..

After having a little fondle with the wheel It felt very empty inside the tyre (not normal) so I came to the conclusion that It must be tubeless (Its a Trek Fuel EX8 2011) and yes.. this is the first time I've had a puncture!!! :shock:

So questions:

1. How the hell do you get the tyre off? without damaging the rim/tyre?
2. Where do you start trying to fix a flat assuming that you want to keep the tyre as tubeless?
3. What do I need to fit my tubeless ready tyre on my tubeless rim?

Oh and do you have to actually replace the whole tyre if you get a thorn or something in?.. thats crazy expensive if true!..

Thanks for any help.

Ollie

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    are they DT Swiss wheels on your bike buddy?? if its standard fit then it shouldnt be tubeless unless it says tubeless or UST or something like that on the sidewall of the tyre.

There needs to be a sealant inside the tyre to plug any holes that get created by thorns etc.

with regard to getting the tyre off, you need to fully deflate, then give each side of the tyre a good pull towards the middle of the rim. most rims have a slightly recessed channel in the centre to allow for easy tyre fitment. both beads of the tyre will need to be in this channel for you to remove without to much stress.

with tubeless style rims the beads of the tyre are locked/stretched pretty tight at the edges of the rim, this is necessary to create the airtight seal. so they do take some force to remove.

in answer to using tubeless ready on tubeless rims you need a track pump and a good set of arms or access to a compressor to help inflate fairly quickly to force the tyre beads back out on rim edge.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It will not be tubeless from the factory. It will be tubed for definate unless it is second hand.
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    are they DT Swiss wheels on your bike buddy?? if its standard fit then it shouldnt be tubeless unless it says tubeless or UST or something like that on the sidewall of the tyre.

There needs to be a sealant inside the tyre to plug any holes that get created by thorns etc.

with regard to getting the tyre off, you need to fully deflate, then give each side of the tyre a good pull towards the middle of the rim. most rims have a slightly recessed channel in the centre to allow for easy tyre fitment. both beads of the tyre will need to be in this channel for you to remove without to much stress.

with tubeless style rims the beads of the tyre are locked/stretched pretty tight at the edges of the rim, this is necessary to create the airtight seal. so they do take some force to remove.

in answer to using tubeless ready on tubeless rims you need a track pump and a good set of arms or access to a compressor to help inflate fairly quickly to force the tyre beads back out on rim edge.

Hi mate, It doesnt specifically say that its a tubeless tyre but its tubeless ready..

The rims are "Bontrager Rhythm Comp Disc wheel system, 28 hole, tubeless ready" so I cam to the conclusion about the lack of tubes..

I will try and push the tyre walls into the centere of the wheel and let you know how I get on tomorrow night, i'd rather them not be tubeless to be honest - way to much hassle!

Thanks for the help
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    sanchez89 wrote:

Hi mate, It doesnt specifically say that its a tubeless tyre but its tubeless ready..

The rims are "Bontrager Rhythm Comp Disc wheel system, 28 hole, tubeless ready" so I cam to the conclusion about the lack of tubes..

I will try and push the tyre walls into the centere of the wheel and let you know how I get on tomorrow night, i'd rather them not be tubeless to be honest - way to much hassle!

Thanks for the help
    They sit in transit and as stock in warehouses far far too long to be tubeless from the factory. It will have tubes preinstalled from the factory. Tubeless would be more expensive for them, more hassle, and stops working way before the bike would be purchased anyway!