Edinburgh Country Explorer/Recommend me a entry level tourer

raaaiku
raaaiku Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
Am thinking of doing some light touring - 60 miles or so a day, but would also like to be able to use the bike for my commute afterwards.
As I am used to riding my road bike, looking for something with drops
The Edinburgh Explorer seems to be recommended for a few similar questions, does anyone have experience with one?

Also, am 5'4" if anyone has a second hand bike knocking around :D

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I bought a Country Explorer last July and took it for a week touring through Forest of Bowland, The Lakes, across the North Pennines to North York Moors then home. It performed superbly.
    I took it for it's free service afterwards and the shop in Sheffield were great. Excellent value. I've put a Brooks saddle on but the rest of the spec is fine. Disc brakes are brilliant in the wet.
    I also use it for my short daily commute.

I've got a week's tour soon so that's another 500+ miles so I'm happy with it.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    My old flatmate has one. It's a nice enough bike but it's very heavy - 14kg or more IIRC. Also, both of the stock disc brakes on his developed a fault where they would fail when heavy lever pressure was applied. (!)
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    A friend has had one for around four years, done several thousand miles and it is still using the original chain and cassette ( although he is about to replace this on a full service prior to our netherlands trip) It is heavy but this is often questionable depending on the loads you carry. It rolls very easily and for the money has a great spec and components which are durable. It is also very comfortable for long days.
    Hope this assists.
    Pedaling spans generations.