Pedal On Southern XC Series

VamP
VamP Posts: 674
edited March 2012 in XC and Enduro
Round 1 this Sunday. Anyone on here taking part?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If my forks are back from servicing I may well do, not looking too likely though!
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I am planning to race, although haven't entered yet. I have never raced at Checkendon before, so looking forward to it :D

Njee, I can't belive you only have one mtb?
  • njee20
    Indeed I do!

I'm also making excuses because I really didn't enjoy checkendon last year and it's knocking 2 hours from me, and I can't be bothered :-)
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    After geting my arse well and truly caned at Crowthorne (Gorrick) last Sunday I really should know better, but perversely I'm thinking of giving Checkendon a go. However it rather depends on how I feel after a 4th cat circuit race at Milton Keynes on Saturday.

Anyone know how the Checkendon course compares to Crowthorne?

I'm a complete newbie and I'm desperately short of skills on technical courses, if it's like Crowthorne, I'll give it a miss.
  • njee20
    It's significantly more technical than Crowthorne! lots of tight singletrack, steep little climbs and off camber descents. V slippery in the wet too, with some nice flints to trash tyres! It did used to be a great course, and they've done well with the significantly reduced land they've got now, just wasn't my sort of course!
  • VamP
    That does sound great, especially given that someone else told me the course was not very interesting. Forecast is for wet :)
  • njee20
    It's a difficult one in the wet, part of it is quite Mayhem-esque and you want a very narrow mud tyre, but that won't last/grip on the flints!

Vindicates my decision to go for a nice local ride instead :-)
  • VamP
    njee20 wrote:
    It's a difficult one in the wet, part of it is quite Mayhem-esque and you want a very narrow mud tyre, but that won't last/grip on the flints!

Vindicates my decision to go for a nice local ride instead :-)

Ha, I'm riding it on an 18 year old all steel rockhhopper with CX tyres. Can't wait to see the carnage. Better bring some spare tubes :shock:
  • VamP
    DNF due to snapped bar. Some rethinking needed on racing the 18 year old rigid it seems.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    It became very dark and started to sleet/hail as I lined up with the veterans. Very ominous but that stopped almost straight away and the course improved every lap. 100% rideable if you had the skills and fitness. Didn't notice the flints but was very rooty.