Milan San Remo

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited March 2012 in Pro race
OK, Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico out of the way, preparation is now done. So what's gonna happen on Saturday? Big sprint, sprint from a small group, lone attack on the Poggio or something else? Who's gonna be strong and who's been eating too many cakes and pies over the winter. Thoughts anyone?

Sits back and waits for everyone to say sprint won by Cavendish :wink:

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,214
    Cav, sprint.

Cancellara makes it all exciting for a brief, fleeting moment.

Boonen comes in third, behind Freire.

Goss is way out.

S'good weather forecast too.
  • Is that a big bunch sprint then?

Would love to see proper full out attack on the Poggio or even the Cipressa succeed. Maybe Cancellara is the only rider capable of doing so at the moment. Just don't think it will happen. Think it will come down to a sprint from a small group or 10-15 riders. Hopefully Boonen, Freire, maybe even Sagan. Just "anyone but Cavendish"
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    I think some of those who could possibly have the beating of the world champ (clearly not in a finish line sprint) just aren't in anywhere near the kind of form they could be and need to be.

I see Cav, not sure if I see tears - but deffo Cav on the podium. He's put a lot into this, has certainly set his stall out, wants the win - and if nothing else, is a relatively bad loser!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I will once again miss it. I've never seen this race live. Stupid Italians and their Saturday races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nana123
    nana123 Posts: 4
    I think some of those who could possibly have the beating of the world champ (clearly not in a finish line sprint) just aren't in anywhere near the kind of form they could be and need to be.dell.gif
  • rick_chasey
    nana123 wrote:
    I think some of those who could possibly have the beating of the world champ (clearly not in a finish line sprint) just aren't in anywhere near the kind of form they could be and need to be.dell.gif

I think Boonen was right when he said you don't necessarily need to be 100% to win M-SR. A good sprint and classics talent will get you there with 90-95% form.
  • rick_chasey
    I wonder what the odds are that Hoogerland puts an attack in on the Cipressa?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I will once again miss it. I've never seen this race live. Stupid Italians and their Saturday races.

My quest not to watch on a grainy internet coverage in Turkish that dies 5km from the finish on track. Sky card arrived last night, just need an engineer now! Maybe I should have ordered it a bit earlier...
    nana123 wrote:
    I think some of those who could possibly have the beating of the world champ (clearly not in a finish line sprint) just aren't in anywhere near the kind of form they could be and need to be.

Such as? I can only think of Gilbert and maybe Hushovd at the moment.

As long as someone does!
  • The point is there's only a select number of people, like Cancellara and Nibali, who can beat Cav by going long (i.e. coming over the top of the Poggio).

The rest are happy to wait for a sprint in the hope he gets boxed in
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505

As long as someone does!

Someone will, but they won't win the race.

(And yes, I do have a couple of hats lying around I don't wear much, should one need eating come Saturday evening.)
  • The point is there's only a select number of people, like Cancellara and Nibali, who can beat Cav by going long (i.e. coming over the top of the Poggio).

Sure I understand that. But Nana123 suggested their were riders who were capable of doing this, but didn't have good form. Both Cancellara and Nibali have both won recently, so who, other than Gilbert, is capable of doing this, but isn't riding well?
  • rick_chasey
    The point is there's only a select number of people, like Cancellara and Nibali, who can beat Cav by going long (i.e. coming over the top of the Poggio).

Sure I understand that. But Nana123 suggested their were riders who were capable of doing this, but didn't have good form. Both Cancellara and Nibali have both won recently, so who, other than Gilbert, is capable of doing this, but isn't riding well?

Scarponi? ;).
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited March 2012
    Interesting how in each of these articles, each rider talks about multiple race options...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... e-san-remo
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd ... nt-for-bmc
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali- ... n-san-remo

So Radioshack have Cancellara for a Poggio attack and Bennati for the sprint, Liquigas have Nibali for the Poggio and Sagan for the sprint and BMC have Gilbert(?), Ballan and Van Avermaet(?) for the Poggio and Hushovd for the sprint. Can't help but think this isn't a great idea and that Sky probably have it right as I'm guessing the will ride completely for Cavendish.

Or is the whole thing a bluff. Will Sky also say they have multiple options and say they are riding for EBH as well as Cavendish?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Will be surprised if it's not a rather large sprint.

Long breakaways won't win
    Only maybe Gilbert could attack and win from the Poggio and I don't think he's in great form.
    Top teams too aware of the chance to attack on the descent, that it shouldn't really happen.

So leaves a sprint between those that can handle the high pace of the Poggio and get themselves in position for the sprint. So I'd look for a repeat win. Cav, Freire, Goss?
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    TheStone wrote:
    Will be surprised if it's not a rather large sprint.

Long breakaways won't win
    Only maybe Gilbert could attack and win from the Poggio and I don't think he's in great form.
    Top teams too aware of the chance to attack on the descent, that it shouldn't really happen.

So leaves a sprint between those that can handle the high pace of the Poggio and get themselves in position for the sprint. So I'd look for a repeat win. Cav, Freire, Goss?

Wouldn't rule out Boonen.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    You never rule out Boonen :p
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Wouldn't rule out Boonen.

Looking much better this year than the last few. He has a chance, but I'm really looking forward to him taking the fight to Cancellara in Flanders and Roubaix, which both look like being a two horse race like '10.

Gilbert will come good for the Ardennes
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    It's so obscenely long.

300km!

They do 200km, which is a longer TdF stage and then they have to do ANOTHER 100km?!

They always look properly tired when the win. Always.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The races of the 21st century teach us that winner of this race has a minimum of two wins already for the season., and usually three, four or five. (Pozzato is an exception). So anyone hoping for a victory for likes of Gilbert, Goss or Hushovd and others, don't hold your breath.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Quick-Step team:

Tom Boonen, Sylvain Chavanel, Gerald Ciolek, Nikolas Maes, Jerome Pineau, Niki Terpstra, Stijn Vandenbergh, Peter Velits.

No Devenyns after his Paris Nice crash.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
    It's so obscenely long.

300km!

They do 200km, which is a longer TdF stage and then they have to do ANOTHER 100km?!

They always look properly tired when the win. Always.

Cav only does about 200m though.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696

Cav only does about 200m though.

I love the idea of Cav hiding in a sidestreet halfway down the Poggio and zipping out without anyone spotting him.. Would Bernie be there as well, keeping some sort of covering over him until the leaders appear?
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Doobz wrote:

Nope. It'll be Mick Rogers.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Get the feeling that Sky have set their stall out for this one - they probably have a powerpoint on it.

So far this season Sky and Omega appear to be the teams to beat. Sky have the double edged sword of EBH and Cav. Favourite to win has to be one of those two riders. Unless of course the weather helps cause fractures in the peleton in that case could be anyone.
  • rick_chasey
    Chavs out with bronchitus.

Sh!tter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Cav or chav? The frenchman or the poorly styled Manxman?!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    ddraver wrote:

;)

The Frenchman!
    cartoon.jpg
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ddraver wrote:

;)

If Cav was out Rick would be having a party. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

;)

If Cav was out Rick would be having a party. :lol:

Yeah.

I really don't mind Cavendish. Untill he's on a bike or in a race.

Can't help it. I get disappointed whenever he wins.