RS SID RLT PSI

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently got my first air fork which is a 2011 RS SID RLT. I followed the air pressure guides on the side of the fork for my weight, but i dont seem to be getting use of the full travel. I put air in the +ve and -ve chambers and adjusted the rebound to half way between slow and fast. I've done about 150 miles on them so far so would have thought they would be bedded in by now. Have i missed something out in the setup stage?!
Since I've never had an air fork before can anyone suggest how I can get use of the full travel. I also wanted a more supple feel over small bump as they seem quite "stiff" over the smaller bumps.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would reduce the air in the fork, and even more so the -ive chamber. I find the guide on the SID is way to high on the negative side, and too hard on the +ive side. Not that would stop you going through the travel, but as a general guide.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget the guides. Set the fork up to give you 25% sag, then experiment with the negative chamber.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    try adding enough air to get the sag (usually 20-30%) you want rather than using the guide, then adjust the air in each chamber to suit your needs - if you're not using the full travel, it seems like you need to decrease the amount of air in both chambers
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Yep, as above, follow the sag, 25% +-5%. And if your fork then feels stiff and not sensitive enough to small bumps, increase the pressure to the negative chamber relative to the positive one.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • welsh_14
    Thanks for that guys! so does the +ve chamber deal with the sag and -ve with the travel use and bump response?! I've got it set up so it has between 25-30% sag as suggested. So once the sag is set should I then leave the +ve chamber and just experiment with the -ve?
    Sorry for the noob questions but i've only ever had coil forks before!
    386ka so what you think is I need more air in the -ve than the +ve to increase sensitivity?
  • supersonic
    Empty out the negative chamber. Then inflate the positive to 100psi. Inflate the negative to 100psi. Check sag. Then remove or add air in 5psi increments (one after the other) until you get 25% sag.

Then ride. If you want a more supple start, add upto 15psi to the negative chamber. Firmer, decrease by upto 15psi.
  • benpinnick
    Ive found that having the same in +ive and -ive means that the forks sit into their travel without any weight on. Any ideas on that SS?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welsh_14
    Thanks supersonic! i'll give that a go. Why cant RS just right that in a manual with the forks!!
  • supersonic
    benpinnick wrote:
    Ive found that having the same in +ive and -ive means that the forks sit into their travel without any weight on. Any ideas on that SS?

Release all the negative air. Do the forks fully extend?
  • benpinnick
    Yeah, they are fine at around 75% of positive, but if totally balanced they sit about 20mm into the travel. Its 80mm of nice travel, but I lose the 20mm.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yeah, they are fine at around 75% of positive, but if totally balanced they sit about 20mm into the travel. Its 80mm of nice travel, but I lose the 20mm.
    Sounds perfect with 20% sag.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    Sounds perfect with 20% sag.
    But that's without weight on them.
    benpinnick wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ah missed tht bit. Then something is wrong with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ah missed tht bit. Then something is wrong with them.
    Really? I'm sure my Revs (2011 RLT Ti) do this, my Rebas (2008 Race) did too
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    Mine do a little, but is hard to judge exact pressures - but certainly not 20mm!
  • benpinnick
    Of course, It might just be that one of the pumps is knackered, and by chance its always the same one I use on the negative :(
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.