Whyte 146 dropped chain

Sambuca
Sambuca Posts: 116
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at purchasing a whyte 146s, love the bike but just want some real feedback on the possible chain drop issue I've heard about? Is it just a few people on forums or a real problem? Realise you always see bad reports on forums but don't want to spend my hard earned on a problem....

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Should be something you can sort with a chain device of some sort. I don't see why it would be worse than any other bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I bought the 146S in Januray, I've loved every minute of riding this bike. It's been ridden nearly every weekend, and I haven't experienced any chain drop issues, but if you're still unsure, a simple chain device will be easy enough to add on.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yep, black spire stinger or mrp 2x should sort it out for good, personally would run 1 x 10 on the 146, as it was designed to be built as such.
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 116
    Thanks guys, I did remember seeing something in one of the mags in their first review and have seen some pics online of terribly scratched crank arms etc. apparently it drops of the outside of the big ring so not many chain devices work so well although I think the MRP x2 one does work..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I can't see how that would be down to the bike though. It's the same components as any other (SRAM equipped) bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    1x10 with e13 lg1+ like on the 146x and it's sorted.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • leebo74
    leebo74 Posts: 2
    I have a 146 x and I can completely confirm
    That 1 x 10 works perfectly with this bike. I was worried that I would run out of gears on the climbs but so far the 34t and the light weight 146 have been the perfect marriage. Single ring and chain device rocks for this bike!