correct bottom bracket for canyon ultimate AL?

Hicksdesign
Hicksdesign Posts: 121
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
I've just purchased a Canyon Uultimate AL 2012 frameset to upgrade my current bike, and have been trying to find out the right bottom bracket to use. My groupset is SRAM Apex, and from what I can see on the SRAM site, it's BB is press-fit. (http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-apex-bb#/path/term-id/254)

I've contacted Canyon, and the UK division got back to me, suggesting that I look at the spec of the Ulimate AL 9.0SL: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2504. However the equipment section on that page just lists a part that doesn't seem to be commercially available ("sram gxp integrated bottom bracket adapter"). At least I can't see an adapter for sale anywhere.

So, has anyone installed SRAM on the Ultimate AL that can tell me if the Apex BB is OK, or if I need a different one? Thanks!

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I wud hav thought your SRAM cranks will bolt straight on, unless there is a bearing kit needed.

Sounds great advice from their UK rep again.
  • brimmers
    brimmers Posts: 47
    I have the ultimate CF with SRAM Force groupset. It takes a standard English fit SRAM GXP bottom bracket.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    canyon are being unhelpful and/or are idiots

it's their frame, they should be able to give you an unambiguous, clear, statement of the specification of their product, i.e. what bb type is it, if they can't, ffs who can?

the link you posted is to a page that says "Shimano Press-Fit-Standard", aka bb86 i think, in which case that's your bb, *if* that's your frame and canyon aren't just fobbing you off with the wrong info

once you know the bb type for your frame, you can go looking for a bb

such as...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-bb86-gxp-p ... m-bracket/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hicksdesign
    sungod wrote:
    canyon are being unhelpful and/or are idiots

it's their frame, they should be able to give you an unambiguous, clear, statement of the specification of their product, i.e. what bb type is it, if they can't, ffs who can?

Exactly, and I'm still pursuing Canyon (It feels like I got through to a marketing rather than technical department) but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience!

I also linked to the wrong item, should've been a BB30 as I understand.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Link from Canyon website to SRAM then to the crankset specs came up with this for the Force 50/34 (as fitted to that bike)
    GXP : PressFit GXP : BB30 : PressFit 30 / Q-factor : 149.2 mm (GXP : PFGXP) : 145 mm (BB30 : PF30)
    Apex : GXP : PressFit GXP : BB30 : PressFit 30 / Q-factor : 145 mm (GXP: PFGXP) : 146 mm (BB30 : PF30)

So some minor differences but the 2 (Apex / Force) seem to be interchangeable. Maybe a good SRAM dealer would confirm for you if in doubt.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Think there is a little over complication here.

I have the same frame and run a SRAM GXP BB that came with the Apex chainset. I also run a Force chainset with the standard BB supplied.
  • Hicksdesign
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Think there is a little over complication here. I have the same frame and run a SRAM GXP BB that came with the Apex chainset. I also run a Force chainset with the standard BB supplied.

Brilliant - thats the confirmation I was hoping for, thanks!
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    The road.cc review of the 2012 model says it's changed from a threaded BB last year to a press-fit this year. Gazzaputt, is yours an older model?

This is the bottom bracket on the review bike. Definitely not a standard 68mm threaded shell.

Canon%20Ultimate%20Al%20bb%20from%20below.jpg
    Alex
  • Hicksdesign
    Well spotted Alex - hadn't seen that the press-fit was new 2012. Can you confirm what year you have Gazzaputt?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well spotted Alex - hadn't seen that the press-fit was new 2012. Can you confirm what year you have Gazzaputt?
    Why not read the standards on Parktools then you can workout what your BB is?
    Or post pics of yours and we can ID it in seconds?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

2011 and before threaded, 2012 pressfit.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

I've a 2011
  • Hicksdesign
    nicklouse wrote:
    Why not read the standards on Parktools then you can workout what your BB is?
    Or post pics of yours and we can ID it in seconds?

I've done a lot of reading up, and I already know that the frame needs a press-fit bottom bracket (There's big image here: http://www.canyon.com/shop/wallpaper.html?bike=f-ultimate-al&color=d-b-a-white), and according to the SRAM website, the Apex BB is press-fit (http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-apex-bb#/path/term-id/254) but it still looks threaded to me. I guess I was hoping to find someone else who had gone through the process already!

Local bike shop are taking a look at the moment, and hopefully they'll be able to find out what I need.