£680

averagc
averagc Posts: 19
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all if i could stretch my budget to £680 for a hardtail what would you recommend i have been looking at a canyon yellowstone 5.0.Is there better bike out there for the money.goin to have a trip to evans cycles this week and have a look what they have in

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    averagc wrote:
    hi all if i could stretch my budget to £680 for a hardtail what would you recommend i have been looking at a canyon yellowstone 5.0.Is there better bike out there for the money.goin to have a trip to evans cycles this week and have a look what they have in
    don't forget the extra £50 for postage and packaging
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • averagc
    what do you think to this bike its at £500 now reduced from £700 my budget will stretch to £700 at the most what would you recommend
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A link might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    the canyon personally
  • averagc
    been to bike shop and really like the look of the cannondale sl4 and the whyte 801.think i need a bit more experience before buying a bike without even sitting on it like the canyon.just cant decide which 1?
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    The Rockrider 8.1 has a similar spec to the Canyon, and at a price of £500 leaves you with £180 to spend on Pennywhistles and Moonpies. Are there any Decathlon stores near to where you live?
  • averagc
    there is a decathlon nearby i have been and had a look at the bike and it looks terrible which being my 1st bike the looks are as important due to me not nowing good spec from bad just wanting pointing in the right direction as to not buy a pile of sh*te.Was told the spec on both cannndale and the whyte were of a decent standard and the forks although not brilliant would cope with anything i throw at them for the time being
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many bikes that look good though are piles of shite. They spend the money on fitting good looking parts rather than ones that work.

That said some of your choices are good. The Whyte however has a very basic fork which will let it down in the rougher stuff.

I'd still have the Rockrider if it fit.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    averagc wrote:
    the looks are as important due to me not nowing good spec from bad

Which is why most of us ended up with Hardrocks when we should have been buying Decathlons as a first bike because we're all suckers for prestige purchasing and aesthetics on known marques :oops: . If you're set on your path, get the Canyon; the spec on the Whyte and the Cannondale are ballbags for the money you'll pay.
  • averagc
    thank for the replys lads decided to go with the cannondale trailsl4 can get it for £510 brand new in a shop discount sale hopefully next week.
  • jaymodunn
    jaymodunn Posts: 22
    I bought my cube race 2010 for 600 pounds. Nearly new and brakes not even bedded in. It is a good bike and having had a cube attention is very good value in comparison to new bikes. Why not try second hand, i looked at canyons on the German ebay website for bargains.
  • averagc
    will have a look.keep changing my mind on which bike to get then i read another review and change my mind again really like the cannondale but cant find any reviews but also like the boarmand and the carrera fury which both have really good reviews.I will pick 1 sumtime soon honest
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    For £600 I have a barely used Boardman HT Pro with upgraded brakes for sale. Depending on size it may suit. It is a 19" frame, so suitable for 5'10" to 6'2". Reviews have been superb across the board
  • Just want to throw a spanner in and say check out the new Vitus range on Chain Reaction. I got a 2011 one and I like it. (Free delivery too.)
  • averagc
    guilliano wrote:
    For £600 I have a barely used Boardman HT Pro with upgraded brakes for sale. Depending on size it may suit. It is a 19" frame, so suitable for 5'10" to 6'2". Reviews have been superb across the board
    Thanks for the input mate.i iam very interested in the bike would you be able to pm me some photos of the bike and a few more details i.e.how long have you had the bike etc.thanks
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I nearly bought the cannondale sl4 until i checked the spec then weighed it in the shop 30 pound for a hardtail for chris s sake!!!!!!
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What about the Voodoo Hoodoo, looks more expensive than it's £500, nice spec, not as good as the Rockrider, but not far off, and it has a great fork.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.