Commencal Meta 55 Custom - Updated Pics Page 2

bigpee
bigpee Posts: 205
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hi. I've just received a nice shinny Commencal Meta 55 frame courtesy of a sale Real Cycles were having (and for the record their service has been excellent) :) . I now have the task of building my first bike which will also happen to be my first full sus. Currently I have a very XC orientated Boardman HT Comp which has been great but I fancied a change and could not resist this when it cropped up on sale :) .

Build details (as cheap as possible for the time being :oops: )
Forks - either a second hand Pike / Revelation or a new Revelation or Sektor
Shock - Fox Float RP2
Wheels - Rear Mavix Crossride. Front will be decided by whether fork QR or Maxle.
Brakes - Avid Juicy 3
Groupset - Sram X7 and X5 components
Finishing touches - most Superstar.

Essentially with the exception of the fork I will be stripping my Boardman and moving the parts across to the Meta. Over time I hope to upgrade them where suitable but to start with they should perform fine. I have two areas of uncertainty. First is around forks. I basically have a top budget of £300 which will get me new QR Revelations, new 15mm Sektors (with almost enough left over for new 15mm front wheel), or second hand Pikes plus new front wheel. Second is colour scheme. The frame is red so do I go red / white or red / black or even something else. Enough to give me sleepless nights :wink: .

My lovely new frame
SAM_0477.jpg

My donor bike
SAM_0472.jpg

My limited finishing kit (protection from the upcoming winter)
SAM_0478.jpg

Aiming to get this built by the end of August but like any building project this is bound to not finish on time and go over budget.
Current bikes:
Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
Boardman HT Comp 2010
GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)

Comments

• chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    The frame looks sweet, Always loved the look of Metas... :D

In terms of colour scheme, Most people base it around the little triangle bit in the middle... So I'd say grey/gunsmoke parts. Or you could go all white, as white/Red Revs would look brilliant on that frame. My only concern about your build would be your choice of wheels though, I'm sure if you looked around in the classifieds you'd find a much nicer/stronger pair of wheels :)

I'd say, if you could... black Flows on Gunsmoke Pro 2s, gunsmoke Hope headset and BB. White/Red Rockshox Revelations with 9mm QR dropouts (?) White/Black Nobby Nics, White/Red headset spacer Mix, white seatpost clamp and bars.

That's what I'd go for (in terms of colour anyway :D)
  • bigpee
    Some nice suggestions - hadn't thought of gunsmoke but I can see that would work well. I have already gone and ordered a white headset (Stolen insider as suggested by Commencal Owners forum) but that shouldn't clash too badly with any gunsmoke parts.

As for wheels - these are definately on the list as and when money will allow. I seem to be a bit of a Superstar components fan boy so will probably go for one of their AM rims as recently reviewed in MBUK, or possibly Mavic EX721 or EN521 rims although less choice in colours there (any colour as long as black).

Also realised I need a wider seatpost and clamp which is forcing me to get some new bling there too :lol: .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • chrisjnr19
    Sounds great to me! :) All white bits and bobs would be just as good, its just a bit of a bother trying to locate them :P
  • bigpee
    Fork has now been ordered. In the end after seriously considering second hand (and not quite finding what I was after) I went for a pair of Rockshox Sektors from Merlin for £247. Price seemed too good to pass up for 150mm forks with a 15mm Maxle. Reviews seem good as well, and there will be no worries about have a steerer tube that is too short. Link to review of forks:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-rockshox-sektor-rl-air-150mm-11-44622/

Truvativ seatpost and On One collar on order from On One.

That just leaves the wheels which will almost certainly be Superstar Tech2 AM wheels - for £160 front and rear they seem to be the ticket. Just need to consider the colour!
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • chrisjnr19
    Wheels: White rims on Red or black hubs :)

btw... what colour forks did you get?
  • bigpee
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    Wheels: White rims on Red or black hubs :)

btw... what colour forks did you get?

White forks - perfect really :) . Think white rims might well be the way forward too.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    Top service from Merlin - forks came next day. Sadly the poploc was missing. Called them and it arrived the next day. Can not say fairer than that :) .

SAM_0528.jpg

Think I'll be going for these wheels with white rims, white hubs and red spokes (currently on offer for £170).

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-superstar-components-switch-evo-am-custom-wheelset-10-39766
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • chrisjnr19
    That front end should look spot on, especially with the white headset... :)

I still say White rims, red hubs and black or white spokes... No matter what though I'll look pretty sweet :D

White bars and a Black Superstar Zephir stem with red faceplate, should just about top the front end off methinks.

Ooh and try to locate a white seatclamp...

I look forward to seeing the finished product :)
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Looking promising. I didn't know you could get White spokes. How about just having Silver spokes as I'd read somewhere that the colouring process impedes the spoke integrity a bit.
  • bigpee
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    I still say White rims, red hubs and black or white spokes... No matter what though I'll look pretty sweet :D

White bars and a Black Superstar Zephir stem with red faceplate, should just about top the front end off methinks.

Ooh and try to locate a white seatclamp...

Interesting wheel colours - not as easy to picture as the white / red / white combo as it's pictured in a recent MBUK wheelset group test :) . Besides it costs £25 more :( which might swing it.

Funny you mention the Superstar Zephir stem with red faceplate - you can't see it on the photo but that's what I have on my Boardman and will be coming across.

Already ordered a black seatpost clamp for a fiver from On One so that's a future upgrade.
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Looking promising. I didn't know you could get White spokes. How about just having Silver spokes as I'd read somewhere that the colouring process impedes the spoke integrity a bit.

Interesting point about coloured spokes being weaker although these ones are double butted if that makes a difference.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    My Boardman has now been striped and I can start building up the Meta. Fork needs shortening hence this test out. Crank installed and the old bike is on ebay. Figures crossed it'll sell soon and I can pay for my new wheels :) .

SAM_0560.jpg
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    Nearly there now. Just waiting on wheels from Superstar, and gear cabling and the bike will be complete. Near term upgrades will be white grips from superstar, a white saddle probably a Charge Spoon and white brake cables. Longer term new bars, a new bottom bracket (when the current one gives up the ghost) and possibly new brakes / bigger rotors.

Full current spec (including wheels)
    Frame: Commencal Meta 55 2010
    Forks: Rockshox Sektor RL 150mm travel 2011
    Shock: Fox RP2
    Wheels: Superstar AM490 rims (white) on Switch Evo hubs (white) with red spokes (all on order)
    Brakes: Avid Juciy 3s
    Shifters: Sram X5
    Front mech: Sram X5
    Rear mech: Sram X7
    Crank: Truvativ Firex 3.2 (I think)
    Pedals: Shimano M520s
    Stem: Superstar Zephir
    Seatpost: Truvativ Holzfeller
    Saddle: Boardman
    Grips: Superstar lockons
    Seatpost collar: On One cheapy
    Headset: Stolen Insider

SAM_0562.jpg
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Good choice of steed you have there my friend they are a great bike that climb well but are built for going down hill FAST i absolutely love mine, like you i moved up from a hardtail XC bike to a meta and the difference was incredible i just found riding to be so much more fun as i knew i could push the Meta more thn i could with the XC bike and it would stick.

i notice from the shock mounting you've got for the large frame, as i'm pushing 6ft i tried the large and didn't get on with it at all it just felt too big so opted for the medium and it's like riding a totally different bike so much more responsive and i feel like i can throw it into a corner with complete control.

Heres my baby but since this photo i've bent the seat rails after a heavy landing at glentress so swapped it for a white charge spoon with red lettering, tis very bling.
    IMAG0439.jpg

Oh and before i forget if you have some spare cash i'd look at changing the bearings in the rear linkage as i had 3 sieze within 6 months of buying the bike. It's a simple job to do once you get the old ones out. I use www.simplybearings.co.uk for mine as they are cheap and only around the corner from my work but most importantly 3 of the lads that work there are really into there mountain biking.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • bigpee
    That's a lovely bike you have there Muttley1981 :) and with the exception of the wheels how I hope mine will ultimately turn out.

My frame isn't just the large - it's the XL but as I'm 6'3'' without shoes on I reckon I should be fine. The Commencal sizing guide has me in the XL range (and besides it was just the XL frame that was in stock and on offer so I had little choice).

Good to know it can climb too. Through the very cowboy method of standing on scales with and then without holding the bike I make it 9kg without wheels, tyres or chain so probably in the 13-14 kg catagory fully built. This is a tad more than my Boardman HT Comp so it's good to know it can climb.

Ta for heads up about bearings. Think I need to tinker here anyway as swingarm and linkage isn't quite central (out by a mm or two). But spare money after a bike build :lol: .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    bigpee wrote:
    That's a lovely bike you have there Muttley1981 :) and with the exception of the wheels how I hope mine will ultimately turn out.

My frame isn't just the large - it's the XL but as I'm 6'3'' without shoes on I reckon I should be fine. The Commencal sizing guide has me in the XL range (and besides it was just the XL frame that was in stock and on offer so I had little choice).

Good to know it can climb too. Through the very cowboy method of standing on scales with and then without holding the bike I make it 9kg without wheels, tyres or chain so probably in the 13-14 kg catagory fully built. This is a tad more than my Boardman HT Comp so it's good to know it can climb.

Ta for heads up about bearings. Think I need to tinker here anyway as swingarm and linkage isn't quite central (out by a mm or two). But spare money after a bike build :lol: .

I'm pretty sure mine comes in at 13.2kg which is pretty light for a bike that can take the abbuse they do, i've no problem with hitting a 5ft drop off on mine (although i currently have a snapped rear axle but thats all mavics fault) i even had a blast at Inners on it last month but nothing too big.

Me and my riding buddy have the mediums like i said i'm pushing 6ft and he's 5.7ft we both get on perfectly well with that size but i prefare having quite a lot of ball clearence just incase i slip a pedal :oops: :D

A picture of the twins
    IMAG0449.jpg
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • bigpee
    With the exception of a chain (in the post) and sorting the gears my first build is now finished :) and I have to say I'm pleased with the results. There are finishing touches to make over the next few months (white grips when current ones wear out, white saddle etc) but these are minor. I was worried the wheels might be a little OTT but I think they are perfect for the bike :D .

SAM_0563.jpg
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Looks good dude, the wheels look spot on.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    That looks very tidy fella! :D

Those red spokes and frame actually looks sweet together!...

I too would say that a white Charge spoon or something similair should be due to complete 'the look' :)

... and this >>Perhaps?? (it'd certainly set the bike off nicely :D)

If you wanted to spend a few extra bob, I'd personally say that it would look better with Black/Red Grips and white bars (IMO of course :) ) , and you wouldn't have the bother of keeping the grips clean...
  • bigpee
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    That looks very tidy fella! :D

Those red spokes and frame actually looks sweet together!...

I too would say that a white Charge spoon or something similair should be due to complete 'the look' :)

... and this >>Perhaps?? (it'd certainly set the bike off nicely :D)

If you wanted to spend a few extra bob, I'd personally say that it would look better with Black/Red Grips and white bars (IMO of course :) ) , and you wouldn't have the bother of keeping the grips clean...

Thank you :) . Agree with the white bars black grips angle - something I've been considering but I need to let the bank balance recover first. The seat post clamp is perfect too - just found it on ebay for free postage so it's now in the post :) .

Took the bike out for a shake down ride today. It is promising but was ruined by shockingly set up gears :oops: . I had about one or two gears I could use so it's back to the drawing board with setting them up, and thorough consulation of the Park Tools guide. Fingers crossed with a bit of fettling and patience I can get it right. Also how hard is that front mech to sort out! The swing arm completely blocks access to the H and L screws. Going to have to try and replace them with allen key screws I think (hoping local nut and bolt place will have some).

When not pedaling the bike definately inspires confidence. Apart from the short bits of single track near where I live I took it down several flights of steep(ish) steps without a second thought. I know steps are easy but on the old bike I would have thought about it!

Think it'll be a few rides before I have the gears and suspension how I like it, but then that's half the fun. The other half of fun will be a trip to Afan I now have booked in October :D .
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    Here's the bike pretty much complete. I'm hoping to pick up a 2x10 groupset in the January sales (ideally SLX) but until then here is the spec:

Frame: Commencal Meta 55 2010 XLarge frame
    Fork: Rockshox Sektor 150mm with 15mm maxle
    Shock: Fox RP2
    Brakes: Formula Oro K18 180mm front, 160mm rear
    Wheels: Superstar XC-430 rims on Switch Evo hubs
    Chainset: Truvativ Firex 3.2
    Rear mech: Sram X7
    Front mech: Sram X5
    Shifters: Sram X5
    Stem: Exotic 70mm carbon
    Handlebar: Ritchy riser
    Grips: Superstar lock on

SAM_0817.jpg

SAM_0818.jpg

SAM_0819.jpg

SAM_0820.jpg

SAM_0821.jpg
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • bigpee
    The bike has undergone a few more upgrades. It now sports a Reverb dropper post (cable not normally as in picture), some Funn Fatboy slim handlebars and a SLX double crankset with bash.

IMAG0088.jpg
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • James0911
    James0911 Posts: 43
    how do you find the seatpost? have you had much use from it yet?
  • bigpee
    James0911 wrote:
    how do you find the seatpost? have you had much use from it yet?

It makes a big difference. I'm quite a nervous rider so being able to get the seat out the way on technical sections really helps.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • ionutned
    ionutned Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Hello
  • mac245
    mac245 Posts: 48
    Nice colour combo wheels and frame. Good looking bike.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    White rims are the future. Nice build! :D
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    nice
  • Yourself
    Yourself Posts: 3
    Hi, I´m thinking about the Superstar wheels. How are they holding up? Can you provide some info? I have DT AM1900 wheels now but I´m looking for some wheels in blue and the choice is really narrow..
  • bigpee
    Can't say how they're doing as the bike was nicked! Before that the rims where fine. The prawls in the rear hub snapped twice though. Not sure if I'm just hard on them, or if the quality wasn't up to spec but it was annoying especially as one happened in Cwm Carn.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • Yourself
    Yourself Posts: 3
    So basically you´re saying that the rims were fine yes? I ride a 140/150mm all mountain bike and wanted to put some good rims on it,but I wanted them to be blue and less than 500g each..so I may go just for the rims then