You know you ve been in here too long when...

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited March 2012 in Pro race
So I'm on the club run this morning. Lovely day, a light breeze, perfect temperature for a light long sleeve jersey and some leg warmers. Post cafe we head into the Dunes, which is disastrous for me as I'm no climber, even by dutch standards. Sit at the back of the group tapping out a decent pace keeping the "climbers" in view nd pullign past the other riders being "shelled out of the back".

Out of the Dunes we get back on the flat and there are two of us about 30 secs behind the main bunch. We work together for a few mins until i decide he's not going fast enough. So i come though for my "turn" and reach deep into my suitcase of courage and put on a burst of power riding him off my wheel. Forearms on the bars I time trial on my own for 5 mins, max HR rapidly approaching, and make contact with the group as we enter a town.

All i could think about the whole time was....

Frenchie would be so proud of me! :shock:
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Panache.

Though obviously depending on which cycling shoes you were wearing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    Sidi's - good

but MTB ones - Fail

;)
    - @ddraver
  • He probably has some photos of you somewhere in his database!

:D
  • ddraver
    Yeah it wasn't photo worthy - If I'd stuck with the group and then attacked from 1km out and blown them all the way to win the town sign sprint then maybe, but tbh I was knackered (and there was nt really a sprint today, maybe it's too early)
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    That makes you a 'Supreme Something-or-other', congratulations. Someone might be pleasuring themselves over your avatar as we speak!! :0 :shudder:

3.2kgs of rare steak and chips with salt and drugs for lunch now then.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Congratulazioni! I can hear the Tifosi cheering : )

What/where are the Dunes?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Baglan.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think you need to post a picture of your heroic endeavour so that Frenchie can crown your achievement with an atmospheric black and white photo!

I will now think of Frenchie every time I pass a junior in our local 10!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver

The Dunes on the coast. There is a long cycle path the runs pretty much all the way along the Dutch coast so occasionally we duck in and out of it. They re the closest things to hills we have here save a big (geologically wierd) thing up by Bloemendaal.
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:

The Dunes on the coast. There is a long cycle path the runs pretty much all the way along the Dutch coast so occasionally we duck in and out of it. They re the closest things to hills we have here save a big (geologically wierd) thing up by Bloemendaal.

Ah ha, you are in Dutch land! Never had that thought before. I thought Rick Chasey was an out and out Dutch man until I met him!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    ddraver wrote:

Ah ha, you are in Dutch land! Never had that thought before. I thought Rick Chasey was an out and out Dutch man until I met him!

Bet you still think I'm lekker ;).
  • ddraver
    Yep, Leiden is sort of half way between Amsterdam and The Hague (closer to the hague though....)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    edited March 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    Yep, Leiden is sort of half way between Amsterdam and The Hague (closer to the hague though....)

Leiden is lurvely.

Spend any time in barrera?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ddraver wrote:
    They re the closest things to hills we have here save a big (geologically wierd) thing up by Bloemendaal.

Completely off topic, but HC Bloemendaal are more or less the Real Madrid of hockey.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    I mean a tiny littl village on the coast - I suspect there are two.....

This is the club in Leiden - http://www.swift-leiden.nl/index.php?op ... e&Itemid=1 (with it's own private 1.4km road circuit)
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ddraver wrote:
    So I'm on the club run this morning. Lovely day, a light breeze, perfect temperature for a light long sleeve jersey and some leg warmers. Post cafe we head into the Dunes, which is disastrous for me as I'm no climber, even by dutch standards. Sit at the back of the group tapping out a decent pace keeping the "climbers" in view nd pullign past the other riders being "shelled out of the back".

Out of the Dunes we get back on the flat and there are two of us about 30 secs behind the main bunch. We work together for a few mins until i decide he's not going fast enough. So i come though for my "turn" and reach deep into my suitcase of courage and put on a burst of power riding him off my wheel. Forearms on the bars I time trial on my own for 5 mins, max HR rapidly approaching, and make contact with the group as we enter a town.

All i could think about the whole time was....

Frenchie would be so proud of me! :shock:

Superb! Reads like a Jens Voight interview :)
  • Hands on the bars mate, hands on the bars. ;)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ddraver
    .....You've lost me there SoS?
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Heavyweight - True Champion TM
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Stuck behind this in traffic today... Delivery for Frenchie?

419942_10150732537390781_501685780_11738500_1691740974_n.jpg
  • ddraver
    FYI...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKV8K1EO ... e=youtu.be

Small vid of the Tuesday night Crit - A peloton overtaking the B...
    - @ddraver