Creeking headset cup on carbon storck adrenalin

spankone
spankone Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Good evening guys,

The front of my storck took a bit of a bonk the other day, now tge bottom cup creeks when Im standing on the bike. I was told by posh bikes that the headset is "special" and that the cups are" bonded " in. Can you guys provide me with a bit more info? Can the cups be removed and replaced? Can I replace them with a standard internal headset?

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pics?

If that is what the importers/seller is saying I would tend to agree.

But strip it take pics and post them and we will see.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spankone
    Dont judge me on the state of the bearings they've been changed :oops: My LBS said they are a standard bearing size but I don't know more than that :?

caebac36.jpg

2691ac0f.jpg

93cf5144.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Ok so you have fitted new bearings and still have a creak?

It does look like an internal headset but I can not see he cup detail so that is purely a guess.

But no you can't just fit a "standard" headset. There is actually more than one standard and you need to get the right one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • spankone
    Yep fresh bearings fitted this weekend, the whole bikes been serviced. I have a good ear for creeks and i have 2 the first coming from a gear cable stop near the head tube which creeks when i turn. A spot of lube sorted that out. The other is deffo the bottom cup, the cup its self is fine. The trouble is how do i go about fxing a creek from a cup thats bonded in.
  • spankone
    bump!

its getting worse
  • nicklouse
    More pics need as said before nothing can be seen of the headset.

Bumping topics normally gets them removed.
  • spankone
    Pictures of what? They look like standarded press in cups but posh bikes told me last august that they are bonded in, I,m clueless as to what to do. And google draws a blank, the headset is an across AI-24sec 1 1/8th and its not listed on the across website which leads me to believe its proprietary.
  • nicklouse
    The rest of the headset.

But as it seems from Storks webby you ave an integreated headset.

So basically you have a damaged frame that can not be easily be fixed.
  • tbikeradar
    tbikeradar Posts: 129
    The frame sounds damaged. What is the warranty on the frame?
  • spankone
    It's 5 years old and second hand so I doubt it has any warrenty left.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    http://storckbicycle.com/usa/index.php? ... drencarbon:
    Standard issue are the patented headset system
    1-1/8" Integrated Headset System

Not much you can do with that other than a bearing change unfortunately. An integrated headset has the cups fixed in to the frame :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the cup is at all loose in the frame and can be removed easily without force, then it can be bonded back in.....little to lose!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spankone
    Bit of an update, after taking it back to my LBS to fix a few niggles after a recent service and after a good chat with poshbikes they have both come to the conlusion that its either the fork stanchions in the yoke of the steerer tube creaking. It would explain why I assumed the creak was coming from the lower headset cup. I think because ths is my first carbon bike I instantly assumed it was the frame. Luckly the forks are under warrenty so I'll be swopping them with my wifes forks just to confirm its deffo the forks, then they'll be sent off to mojo for inspection. :roll:
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Oh, yes, the old CSU fork creaking. I had that problem with my Fox Float R on my Trance, after some use they started creaking, mostly when you exert forces on the fork, like when doing a stoppie ect. My LBS sent them to Slovenia, there they replaced the CSU (under warranty), and voila, the creaking is gone!

You can remove your forks from the frame, and fit stem and bars to the steerer tube. Then hold the bars, and someone should try to twist the lower legs to exert torsional forces on the fork. You will hear the Crown-steerer-uppers creaking badly. :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • spankone
    Good idea I'll try that.