Help Spending £1000 on upgrades

Asar01
Asar01 Posts: 51
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
fork, shock and bike are getting serviced at evans. I need help from you guys as im thinking of spending £1000 on upgrading my Cannondale Rz 120 2 2011

I need help with upgrading these
Brakes
Wheels
Tyres
Chain
Stem
Cassette

Please bare in mind that this bike will be used on the turkish mountains as im moving there next month :P

Comments

• Asar01 wrote:
    fork, shock and bike are getting serviced at evans. I need help from you guys as im thinking of spending £1000 on upgrading my Cannondale Rz 120 2 2011

I need help with upgrading these
    Brakes
    Wheels
    Tyres
    Chain
    Stem
    Cassette

Please bare in mind that this bike will be used on the turkish mountains as im moving there next month :P

Brakes - Shimano (they just work, you can bleed them a piece of p*ss!)
    Wheels - Hope Hoops (value / strength / less maintenance required)
    Tires - Continental X Kings rock (imho) but look at the 1001 tire questions on here...
    Chain - Sram (in my experience stronger than Shimano)
    Stem - Depends on budget, but I'd go Thomson everytime.
    Cassette - Shimano XT (good quality, lightish, just works) but again budget is a major factor, I'm sure SLX works as well.
  • Asar01
    Here is a list i made myself. Please comment and let me know what you think and what you think I should change.

Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail M988
    Brake Pads: Shimano RT86 XT Ice-Tec 6-Bolt 203mm/180mm
    Wheels: Mavic 2012 Crosstrail Wheel Set
    Cassette: Shimano M771 XT 10 Speed
    Chain: Shimano HG94 XT 10 speed

what u guys think?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    brakes, XT all the way including rotors, gives you more to play with wheel wise. Crosstrails are ok, but wouldn't personally recommend factory wheels, spares can be a nightmare, hope pro2 evo hubs and stans crest rims will be lighter, more versatile axle wise, and easier to repair. Nothing wrong with the other kit, its all good stuff.
  • Asar01
    XT meaning XTR brakes ive listed above? could you send me a evans link to a good pair of wheels if thats ok ?
    thanks
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Asar01 wrote:
    XT meaning XTR brakes ive listed above? could you send me a evans link to a good pair of wheels if thats ok ?
    thanks

XT meaning XT brakes!

I'd do a custom wheel build on Superstar Components and add an XTR rear mech with Shadow+ to your list
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you must get everything from evans
    XT Brakes:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... t-ec029031
    Rotors:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... r-ec029021

Wheels:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hop ... l-ec027441
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hop ... l-ec027450

Cassette:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... e-ec023701

Chain (I don't have a problem with shimano chains):
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... e-ec023701

You already have xt shifters and mech but might be worth considering upgrading to these shifters:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... r-ec029271
    Would tidy up the bar and you get the multi-release of these newer ones.

Finally a shadow+ mech would be nice. Could go for the current XTR or wait for the XT version which will probably come out soon enough.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    oodboo wrote:
    Finally a shadow+ mech would be nice. Could go for the current XTR or wait for the XT version which will probably come out soon enough.

Couldn't wait..just dropped £130 on the XTR one :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the cassette and chain you have worn?
  • Asar01
    oodboo thanks for the links and im going to buy the hope pro2 evo instead of the mavic tyres but i don't understand why the XT would be any better than the XTR.

Personally i don't mind dishing out the extra quid but from the looks of it i might go with the XT as 99% of the forum has told me to.

think 203mm for the rear is overkill?

the cassette i have now has somehow lost a big chunk of gear 7 so i have to get that replaced, just for peace of mind am i buying a new chain
  • oodboo
    The XT isn't better, just cheaper. Money saved can be spent elsewhere and you're not going to miss any significant performance benefits of XTR.

203mm rotor on the rear is overkill, especially on a 120mm trail bike. 160mm will probably do with 180mm or 203mm up front.

Strava
  • Asar01
    When it comes to the wheels i want tubes in there but not sure what one to order. Straight Pull or standard?

ok so im going to get the XT instead of the XTR
  • oodboo
    I'd go with standard for parts availability not sure what the benefit of straight pull is. Also I'm pretty sure you can still use tubes on tubeless wheels.

Strava
  • Asar01
    standard it is.

thinking of upgrading my handlebars as the ones i have now are 680mm but im thinking of upgrading to these
    785mm
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rac ... s-ec020510
  • So do the ones you have on now feel far too short then? An extra 105mm on the bars is a HUGE jump.

Also, you say you're going to go for the Pro IIs, isn't the 2011 RZ120 a lefty bike? I didn't think Hope did lefty hubs (I stand to be corrected on that though).

The main question really though is what exactly are you trying to achieve from upgrades? Lighter? stronger?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    So do the ones you have on now feel far too short then? An extra 105mm on the bars is a HUGE jump.

Also, you say you're going to go for the Pro IIs, isn't the 2011 RZ120 a lefty bike? I didn't think Hope did lefty hubs (I stand to be corrected on that though).
    i think that must be in the US, seems to be fitted with a fox over here
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Asar01
    RZ 120 2 is fitted with Fox
    RZ 120 1 is the lefty

-Just found out that in the US they fit the 120 2 with a lefty-

Tbh i just want good handlebars and thought the extra 100+mm might benefit me somehow but i think im going to stick to the same size ones i have now.

Im looking at making the biker stronger and with better components than the one i have now.
  • Fair enough. BIoody manufacturers messing about, find a spec and stick with it you asshats!
  • Asar01
    VERY last question i have for you guys in what stem to buy?

the stems i have now feel a bit to far out for me and would like something a bit shorter and have no clue what to get?

anyone? thanks!
  • supersonic
    You need a 1.5 inch stem, rather than the normal 1 1/8th inch. No need to spend more than £20 -£25 on a stem, the expensive ones are no better. Try on of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/truvativ-aka-am ... stem-2011/

You currently have a 90mm reach. I'd go for 60 or 70mm.
  • Asar01
    Ive tried looking on the evans site for a 1.5inch but i couldnt actually see any as there all 1/8
  • supersonic
    They are not very common - I don't think you'll do any better than the one I just posted!
  • Asar01
    Thanks for the Supersonic reply speed supersonic :)

How about the 70mm of this
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tho ... m-ec008204
  • supersonic
    Well if you want to spend that much - you won't notice a blind bit of difference compared to the Truvativ, I think Thomson stuff is overhyped and well overpriced.
  • oodboo
    supersonic wrote:
    No need to spend more than £20 -£25 on a stem, the expensive ones are no better.

Really? After seeing that counterfeit Thomson stem fail on facebook I'm not so sure. I'd guess that was just a £20-£25 stem dressed up as Thomson and after seeing the video I think I'd rather spend the extra.

Strava
  • oodboo
    For anyone who hasn't seen the counterfeit stem test:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=353 ... =2&theater

Strava
  • supersonic
    Comparing a counterfeit Thomson to a Truvativ stem, owned by SRAM doesn't really mean much!

How many other stems have you seen break? I have seen very few - and the ones that I have have mostly been Thomson, with the face plates!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    £1000?
    Full xt group from merlin @ £470
    Stans arch ex wheelset from superstar @ around £300 depending on spokes
    Easton Haven/Havoc carbon bars from merlin @ £72
    Stem choice as already discussed
    Choice of any tyres you want from next day tyres / bike-discount.de max £80
    Use the rest to get Evans to fit it
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Asar01
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I've made up my mind on what I want and the reason I'm ordering from Evans is because they offered my a free of charge installation on all the parts and seeing as they already have my bike there due to a service I couldn't be asked taking it somewhere else.

Rotor: Shimano RT86 XT Ice-Tec 203mm/203mm
    Shifters: Shimano XTR M980 10 Speed Rapid Fire
    Cassette: Shimano M771 XT
    Chain: Shimano HG94 XT
    Wheels: Hope Pro2 EVO ZTR Crest
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 60a
    Handlebars: Race Face Atlas AM Low Rise
    Stem: Easton Havoc 1.5"
    Grips: Lizard Skins Lock-On Peaty GRAPHITE

£1137.41
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Asar01 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I've made up my mind on what I want and the reason I'm ordering from Evans is because they offered my a free of charge installation on all the parts and seeing as they already have my bike there due to a service I couldn't be asked taking it somewhere else.

Rotor: Shimano RT86 XT Ice-Tec 203mm/203mm
    Shifters: Shimano XTR M980 10 Speed Rapid Fire
    Cassette: Shimano M771 XT
    Chain: Shimano HG94 XT
    Wheels: Hope Pro2 EVO ZTR Crest
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 60a
    Handlebars: Race Face Atlas AM Low Rise
    Stem: Easton Havoc 1.5"
    Grips: Lizard Skins Lock-On Peaty GRAPHITE

£1137.41

seems like a very high price for all that!! even with free fitting thats still a whole load of cash, especially when you could have saved alot more than the fitting cost buying from different places on the web...

203mm rotors are mega-overkill for the xtr's too, unless you weigh several million tonnes 180's or even 160's are fine, and considerably cheaper.
  • Asar01
    Well to be honest with you im getting this all on Finance and thats the reason im goign with evans but if u know any other sites that offer finance on 0% and cheaper than evans im willing to order from there and just get of my lazy ass and fit it all myself :)

I weight 120kilos so 203 is just ideal for me, on the other hand i think im gonna go with 180 on the back :)