Re-proofing rain jacket

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hullo,

I have a Castelli Velo jacket:
Castelli%20Velo-399-75.jpg

It has now lost it's water resistance. It's 100% polyester, very light and fine material.
I'd like to re-proof it; can anyone recommend a particular product that they have used, please?

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    The only 2 products I know of are the Nikwax mentioned above and Grangers - see link
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gra ... l-ec011891
    If you go to your LBS or outdoor sports shop, such as Blacks, they will stock one of them.
    Each shop tends to have it's preferred brand, so unlikely you'll be able to compare both.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • pottssteve
    Thanks, Guys,

To the shops it is....!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've given up trying to re-proof my Altura jaffa jacket. It's Pertex, and was originally showerproof at best. It's been repeatedly dunked in some Nikwax stuff, smells lovely, but has the water repellency of a teabag.

Maybe I should try the Grangers?
  • pottssteve
    I gave this a go:

http://www.toko.ch/en/products/care-lin ... tile-proof

I'll let you know how it goes if I'm out in the rain this weekend.

Steve
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    keef66 wrote:
    I've given up trying to re-proof my Altura jaffa jacket. It's Pertex, and was originally showerproof at best. It's been repeatedly dunked in some Nikwax stuff, smells lovely, but has the water repellency of a teabag.

Maybe I should try the Grangers?
    Pertex is only water resistant but is good for active sports where breathability is important.
    Can I ask what you wash the jacket with before re-proofing?
    If you wash in detergents (i.e. supermarket wash powder) the dwr cannot adhere to the surface of the fabric very well. It is important to use a soap that works very differently at cleaning.
  • morstar wrote:
    Can I ask what you wash the jacket with before re-proofing?
    If you wash in detergents (i.e. supermarket wash powder) the dwr cannot adhere to the surface of the fabric very well. It is important to use a soap that works very differently at cleaning.

Yes, I agree. Use Nikwax Tech Wash (or the Grangers equivalent) or ordinary soap flakes.
  • +1 to Grangers or Nikwax.

I reproof climbing / mountaineering gear regularly using both their products. The trick is to follow the instructions to the letter - any ideas about cutting corners just ends up with clean, but non-waterproof clothes!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for Grangers.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't think I washed it in anything; I was just trying to improve it's (lack of) water repellancy. maybe that's where I went wrong?

Also, do these wash-in reproofers have a shelf life? It's certainly possible it's past it's use by date...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Also, do these wash-in reproofers have a shelf life? It's certainly possible it's past it's use by date...

They do put a best-before date on Nikwax products, usually about 4 to 5 years.

I've got an old bottle of Grangers and can't find a best-before date on it.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    By way of an update, I've just re-proofed a gore tex jacket using the Grangers 2 in 1 detailed in a post above. It worked a treat (but you do need a tumble drier to activate the proofing).

Thanks for the tips guys.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    You lot are all posh nonces - use liquid bitumen available in 20L tins from your local DIY store. Just dip the thing and let it dry in the oven. Gas mark 2.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pottssteve
    I used the Toko stuff on the cycle jacket but I haven't been out in the rain since!

However, I re-proofed my walking jacket with the Grangers stuff and that has worked well, so thank you for the tips.

Steve