The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• ahhhhhh. makes sense now. are most of the people on this forum getting the clinchers?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    tri-sexual wrote:
    dan, the left-right you describe is lateral true
    the up-down is radial true, a good wheel builder can correct this, it happens when a wheel is incorrectly tensioned so that spokes at a certain point is pushing the rim out of roundness at a certain spot so that although the wheel is laterally true it may be out of radial trueness
    was this up and down noticeable before you took it to your LBS?
    radial trueness (roundness) is actually much more important than lateral trueness, a wheel which is not round will have a much shorter life and than round wheel (damaged rim, bearings wear and spokes break faster

With carbon rims I don't think you can do much if the rim isn't round to start with. You can't really pull the rim about in the way you can with alu rims.
    More problems but still living....
  • I've just ordered a set of 60mm clinchers from carbonzone, to those of you who have ordered from him, how long did they take to arrive?
  • I just did exactly the same willowthewhite! Hoping to get them before 4th September.

What tyre and tube combo are people using and recommending?

thanks

Mike
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I've just ordered a set of 60mm clinchers from carbonzone, to those of you who have ordered from him, how long did they take to arrive?

6 days from payment. :D
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    i contacted HongFu , and 2 weeks later i have a reply and price for 2 pairs of wheels and 20 pairs of wheels . as follows :

Dear tim
    thanks for your email!
    ok,so the sample order 2 pairs price is :
    HF-W38-T02: $415/ pair
    total shipping cost: $140 by EMS
    if you order 20 pairs, I suggested you assemble the wheelset in your country
    then we box all the parts separately
    then 5 pairs wheelset can into one box, shipping cost is : $250/box
    20 pairs wheelset, then the price is : 360/pair
    looking forward hearing from you!

--
    best regards!
    Jenny
    HongFu sports Equipment Co.,Ltd
    Tel: +86-755-84116881

how much with shipping to U.K please for 2 pairs .
    also a price for 20 pairs please inc shipping

PICTURE HERE :

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... s-234.html

AND THEY ARE tubs
    Britannia waives the rules
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    $485 IS TODAY £292.89 on the 2 pair order price .

£410 is today £247.60 on the 20 pair (group buy etc ) price

the above prices include tracked shipping .

cheers Tim :D
    Britannia waives the rules
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    timmyturbo wrote:
    $485 IS TODAY £292.89 on the 2 pair order price .

$410 is today £247.60 on the 20 pair (group buy etc ) price PLUS WHEEL BUILDING COSTS!

the above prices include tracked shipping .

cheers Tim :D

FTFY :roll: good at missing out important info aren't you :wink:
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Castleman wrote:
    I just did exactly the same willowthewhite! Hoping to get them before 4th September.

thanks

Mike

Arrived today! 10days payment to receiving them.

Also got a package from wiggle and a package from chainreaction, with new cassette, tyres (GP4000's), 80mm valve inner tubes and other bits and bobs. Just need rim tape now and it will be a fun weekend! :D
  • Castleman wrote:
    Castleman wrote:
    I just did exactly the same willowthewhite! Hoping to get them before 4th September.

thanks

Mike

Arrived today! 10days payment to receiving them.

Also got a package from wiggle and a package from chainreaction, with new cassette, tyres (GP4000's), 80mm valve inner tubes and other bits and bobs. Just need rim tape now and it will be a fun weekend! :D

Nice to know my wheels had company on the trip over :lol: as mine arrived yesterday as wel, today's mission to get them fitted to the bike, was going too wait until all the parts for my 10spd upgrade had arrived but they look so good I just have to get them fitted 8)
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Guys

Apologies for dragging this up again

What pressures are you running on these wheels?

Cheers
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I run mine (carbonzone 50 carbon clinchers with GP4000's) at 110 psi. Not had any problems so far (fingers crossed)!!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • davicio
    davicio Posts: 45
    My friend had bought a set of these Chinese carbon rims with the bright red hubs - and a crack has appeared in the rim. Not good.

He did call and they did say they'd send a new one - he's still waiting. This happened some weeks ago now.
  • title of thread " a beginners guide to" and its 15 pages long and counting, surely at somepoint having read the 15 pages, you will cease to be a 'beginner' on the topic, and should stop reading, or apply for an NVQ on the subject? :)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    title of thread " a beginners guide to" and its 15 pages long and counting, surely at somepoint having read the 15 pages, you will cease to be a 'beginner' on the topic, and should stop reading, or apply for an NVQ on the subject? :)

Unless of course, people think of buying some carbon wheels - and have yet to read the thread - in which case all the info is in one place.

If anyone here is looking for cheap carbon wheels - but with an alloy rim - google soul ca5 clincher - just over £500
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Or buy some dura ace.
  • Or some rs80's. 350 quid, built to last etc!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Anyone have an opinion on 38mm wheels? There seem to be more places selling them now. A better all rounder than a 50mm? Or does the slightly lighter weight not make up for the loss of aero benefit?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I've read the thread. Here are the questions:

I'm interested in the carbon clinchesr 50/5 or 50/80. Unlike Carbones these are all carbon, so what is the braking like? I'm thinking a wet sportive or something. Main use will be triathlons.

How much faff are tubs? Am I swaying towards clinchers unnecessarily?

Cheers
  • willy b
    ChrisSA wrote:
    I've read the thread. Here are the questions:

I'm interested in the carbon clinchesr 50/5 or 50/80. Unlike Carbones these are all carbon, so what is the braking like? I'm thinking a wet sportive or something. Main use will be triathlons.

How much faff are tubs? Am I swaying towards clinchers unnecessarily?

Cheers

I use 50/50 for normal road riding. For tri's i'd look at 50/80.

Braking - Not great, not crap. Not as good as Alu rims though.

Clinchers - mainly because of teh cost of Tubs and the faff if they puncture. Tubs obviously have their benefits though.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    About to part with some money on some carbonzone 50mm clinchers. But before I do want to check no one has had any issues with theirs?

Also are these suitable for my weight? About 78kg?

If people don't rate these wheels then what would you buy for a light weight wheel for about £300-£400. I currently have a set of fulcrum 5's. So looking for an up grade for these as best summer wheels.

The carbonzone wheels seems good weight and price.

Thanks for help.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    In your price bracket, for day to day wheels, I'd go for RS80s. Just over £300 from Ribble (and others I think). Good wheels.

I have Carbonzone wheels, but they are my summer, dry, fast wheels(!)
  • paulc33
    That's what I wanted the carbonzone wheels for as a summer wheel.
    How do you find yours?
    Does the free wheel hove a nice clip sound to it?

I have looked at the rs80's before they aren't a deep section wheel are they?

spin to win!
  • Are the 50mm carbonzone wheels exactly same as the Planet X 50mm carbon wheels?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    No - the RS80 are not a "deep section" wheel - they have a carbon fairing, but it is not as deep.

The Carbonzone wheels and the Planet X wheels are very different - if you are talking about the Planet X clinchers, they have an aluminium braking surface, so no need for "special" carbon brake pads. The carbon fairing is attached to this.

If you look on ebay - there are some like this and are significantly cheaper (and a fair bit heavier).

I do like my carbon wheels - the freewheel does have a nice clicky sound, not TOO intrusive, but not silent by any stretch of the imagination either. I ride them with Schwalbe Ultremos and they are a nice match and look good. I had one pun*ture with them last year - hit a massive pothole at the end of a downhill (saw it and slowed down a little, but must have hit it at 25mph) - big snakebite, no damage to wheel and I was able to ride on for about 200m until I pulled over. Run tyres at about 105psi no probs.

Think they are a bit of a vanity wheel - but once you get up to speed, you can get that nice carbon wheel sound which is just lovely....
  • Would you recommend the Carbon 50mm from Carbonzone?
    Has anyone ever experienced any damage of the wheels during the shipping process?
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    designman wrote:
    Would you recommend the Carbon 50mm from Carbonzone?
    Has anyone ever experienced any damage of the wheels during the shipping process?

Read bottom of page 12 and onwards :D

Still thinking of some 60's for myself
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • paulc33
    Anyone with the carbonzone 50mm clinchers struggled to fit tyres on them?
    I can not get my conti tyres on they are so tight.

Any tips / can you use tyre levers?

spin to win!
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    No problem using levers, plastic ones will break long before the wheel. They may seem light and fragile but the wheels are almost bullet proof.
  • willy b
    Thought i'd give this thread a quick boost.

I've had mine fr about 9 months now, and used them a best/nice weather wheels. In total probably done around 500-ish miles. Only issue I had so far was a snapped spoke nipple, which was replaced by the local bike shop (and a cost of £20!!!)

Using them at the weekend and swapping them with my Mavic Aksiums. Quite nice really as you can really notice the difference, very stiff, and once upto speed just keep going and going! Only thing which is worse is the braking, but you just need to get used to it!

Currently debating if I should use them for the Etape in July, i'm not sure tbh...