sorting out my road bike for a small "tour" + advice please

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hey everybody!

Ive got a Spesh Allez sport with stock wheels, it has eyelets for rack both near the brakes/seat stays and on the bottom near the chainstays. im planning during the holiday (student :lol: ) to go off on acouple long weekends and just ride my bike with minimal gear. i of coarse will need a rack, will any old rack do? i spoke to a club friend and he mentioned that the rear wheel my not hold up to it? im a small guy only 65kg, so assume for riding gear +5kgs plus tent sleeping bag cooking kit and food for acouple days then buy more as needed what sort of weight would that work out at? +10kgs?

any recomendations for rack/bags and what do you guys all do for things to sleep on, roll mates or just deal with it?

thanks in advance! 8)
Ben

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The rear hubs Specialized use have a rep for giving up the ghost under normal use, don't think I'd want to rely on one in the middle of nowhere, even though the numbers suggest you ought to be able to get away with it.

I have a Hennessey Hammock for sleeping in and a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack, but most rear racks should fit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Rear racks now come with lots of "features".
    Good ones inc rear lamp bracket.
    Bad ones are any bit of metal which disrupts the circular cross section of tubes for attaching hooks. Twin rods welded together, wide cross struts all block the action of a decent quick-release locking pannier hook (like Rixen & Kaul or Ortleib).
    Open tops have more lashing points than top plates.
    Adjustable leg length is a convenience for bikeshops, not riders.
    My aluminium Blackburn clone works as well as the real thing.
    Gelert Solo tent is fine for a couple of days. Keep cooking gear to an absolute minimum.

The hub durability is not the same as wheel failure under camping load. A **light** camping load shouldn't collapse a normal midmarket road wheel.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Going by some of the posts I've read on forums, there are some fairly big guys happily pootling around on Specialized Allez. So you would have to be really, really, really unlucky to break anything by putting an extra 10kgs on the back. That said, if you are worried, it might be worth asking a bike shop to make sure all the spokes are nice and tight.

As far as a rack is concerned, my advice would be get the best you can afford - after all you can always transfer a rack from bike to bike. A really cheap rack could well turn out to be a false economy - Blackburn racks have a good reputation if you don't, at this stage, want to spring for a Tubus.
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    I'm thinking of similar for my Road bike - a 2008 Trek 1.2. Have never done any touring so figured I'd start somewhere. I've got upgraded wheels (Mavic Open Sports rims on 105 hubs) but thinking of sticking with the stock Alex rims for touring. Bought a lightweight Tortec rack (second hand from this forum) which I'm not sure is up to the job or not but I guess I'll find out!

For sleeping you need something to lie on - I've done a lot of walking and camping and the roll mat is more for insulation than padding. there is nothing worse than being cold at night - you wake up tired in the morning with little energy to get on your bike (or feet in my case).

As a minumum a lot of the weight weenies running up mountains and such like cut a roll mat in half widthways so at least your torso and head is insulated - a pair of tights (cycling or otherwise) can be worn on the legs but with a modern sleeping bag this shouldn't be necessary.

I always go for a pillow, clothes and rucksacks (or pannier bags) just don't have the 'squish' factor to support your head and neck properly. Most camping shops have small lightweight folding ones.
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    thanks for the replys guys! very helpfull!

yeh im new to al lthis so thanks for the tips! imthinking about getting a tortec or a topeak rack, only problem is finding some none resiculous price panniers haha im thinking small 1 person tent, one of those tiny solid fuel cookers just to boil things like water and such, will mainly eat cold food i think plus clothes buy food as i go and a roll mat too. shouldnt be too too heavy i would have thought at max another 15kgs which would take it to 80kgs so thats your average joe really so shouldnt be too bad.

thanks again gents!
    Ben
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I bought some panniers from Decathlon and they've seen me through a few tours in Britain. I always line them with bin bags just in case it rains but I've had no wet clothes yet.
    I also bought a Coleman Bedrock 2-man tent (£54.00 at present) which is light and plenty big enough for one person and baggage.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    random man wrote:
    I bought some panniers from Decathlon and they've seen me through a few tours in Britain. I always line them with bin bags just in case it rains but I've had no wet clothes yet.

'Rubble bags' are a bit more durable, but the same principle.

The only thing to watch out for with cheaper panniers is the system for securing them to the rack. get some that use the 'Rixen Kaul' system if you can.

Decathlon own-brand camping stuff is extremely good value (Decathlon for anyone who hasn't heard of them is like the IKEA of sports and outdoor stuff).
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I use a self inflating mummy shape mat, good insulation, great comfort, weighs about 550gms. Also a self inflating pillow, folds really small. Good sleep is important.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    If your shoes aren't too smelly you can put them together, fold a fleece over them and use that as a pillow. It's firmer than those fluffy self-inflating things, and this way you have one less thing to pack and carry.

I second the advice on getting a good rack and have good attachments for you panniers.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sorry for the short reply but its late.. but do read this thread, I'm sure it'll answer most of your questions. I should really do a write up on the trip/kit as I keep getting asked about it. :D

viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12702169

IMG_5898-PS.jpg
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I survive better on long rides by getting some food down me on the hoof. So, when I have packed everything I leave say a bar bag available for fruit, cakes, bars and drinks. I Cafe stop around where I live can set you back £4 for a cake and cuppa probably the same abroad. Where as a brew, cake and a rest in a beautiful spot cannot be beaten.
    Also, since you are concerned with weight on the back wheel then consider front panniers as well.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.