Some questions about MTB + London + Bike parks

sednan
sednan Posts: 25
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello,

Ill be on London in the next 30 days, and got some questions:

I'll be near GoldHawk Road underground station.

1 - Can you guys tell me good stores to buy these brands in London (near the place i mentioned above): Trek, Specialized, Scott or Canondale? Im thinking about a cheap full suspension MTB (2011 or 2012).

2 - What is the closest bike park near London? Aston Hill or ChickSands? What is the best in you opinion? Why?

3 - Im intending to ride after 15/03/2012, these parks will be able to ride? I mean, snow, rain, etc, can close the parks ?

4 - How many days before the date i want, i need to "booking" my ride on a park like these?

5 - Its easy to: get a bike, get a metro/train, go to one of these parks, ride, and get all way back to home? Its allowed and easy to travel with bikes in subway/train? If i'm correct, i'll use the ChilternRailways, and they allow bikes, except on some peak hours. I need to get bike disassembled/unmounted and on a carrier bag. The travel duration its about 1h30min from London to Wendover.

6 - Has any hints you can give me for make this dream came true ? (yes, its a dream ride on a nice bike park, like i see in all videos)

Thanks,

PS: I'm looking for the answers, and will post what i found. So please say something about what i'm posting in red, ok ?

PS2: Sorry for my iliterate language/speak, i really need to improve my english, thats the reason i'm going to London.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you want to ride. Aston Hill is mainly DH rides, with a XC loop, which is pretty rubbish, part of which is a red run, which is fun. No need to book, just pay on the day, and if you don't park I don't think you'd need to pay.

Don't know Chicksands.

If you are looking for XC, a trip to Surrey Hills would be good.

Nearest 'proper' trail centres with nice long flowy rides are really in South Wales.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    From your post in London Calling
    Keep an eye on the thread, and post your plans and something will be arranged. Regular trips to S Wales, and a couple of the guys spend a lot of time at Aston Hill as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sednan wrote:
    Hello,

1 - Can you guys tell me good stores to buy these brands in London (near the place i mentioned above): Trek, Specialized, Scott or Canondale? Im thinking about a cheap full suspension MTB (2011 or 2012).

I used to live there, it was a good time!

You have some local options for bike shops. In Shepherds Bush itself there's a Cycle Surgery - http://www.cyclesurgery.com/

Down the road in Chiswick (you can take a 237 bus from Goldhawk Road) there's an Evans. http://www.evanscycles.com/

Another one in Chiswick is more of an independant - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gs_ ... 4789546812

Not sure how good they are for MTB though, they are quite small and last I saw were more about commuters/road/kids.

A little further afield in Richmond you can go to http://www.bikelab.co.uk/
  • sednan
    Ty guys!

And if somenone got more information... I'll be happy!
  • sednan
    milko9000 wrote:
    sednan wrote:
    Hello,

I used to live there, it was a good time!

You have some local options for bike shops. In Shepherds Bush itself there's a Cycle Surgery - http://www.cyclesurgery.com/

Down the road in Chiswick (you can take a 237 bus from Goldhawk Road) there's an Evans. http://www.evanscycles.com/

Another one in Chiswick is more of an independant - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gs_ ... 4789546812

Not sure how good they are for MTB though, they are quite small and last I saw were more about commuters/road/kids.

A little further afield in Richmond you can go to http://www.bikelab.co.uk/

And what are another best Bike Stores in London? Stores can i have acess by train/tube or bus.

Ty,
  • The London stores are usually quite roadie, but near Spitalfields Market (Liverpool Street station) there is a big Evans and a big Cycle Surgery close together and they have quite a lot of MTB. I don't know of any good independent stores in the city, but there is Pedal and Spoke out at Peaslake where the London Calling group often ride. You could also I guess consider Gumtree and eBay for second hand bikes.
  • sednan
    milko9000 wrote:
    The London stores are usually quite roadie, but near Spitalfields Market (Liverpool Street station) there is a big Evans and a big Cycle Surgery close together and they have quite a lot of MTB. I don't know of any good independent stores in the city, but there is Pedal and Spoke out at Peaslake where the London Calling group often ride. You could also I guess consider Gumtree and eBay for second hand bikes.
    Thanks !
  • sednan
    I'm in London. I think i'll look the stores on saturday. I hope i can find good deals/saves on MTB.
  • cooldad
    Where are you from?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sednan
    cooldad wrote:
    Where are you from?
    Brazil.

Tomorrow i'll look the bikes in Evans and Circle Surgery.

Ps: Very sad, it's hard to get a soccer ticket here...
  • sednan
    Bought my bike!! I'm Very happy!

Can't wait till next weekend to ride!
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    What did you get?

Regarding the soccer, it depends on what teams you want to see. Fulham should be easy enough to get in and see a Premier League game, and they're pretty entertaining at the moment too. It'll be harder to see Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal though, that's true.
  • sednan
    milko9000 wrote:
    What did you get?

Regarding the soccer, it depends on what teams you want to see. Fulham should be easy enough to get in and see a Premier League game, and they're pretty entertaining at the moment too. It'll be harder to see Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal though, that's true.

I bought a tkt for Arsenal x Aston Villa! Will be a good game, i hope.

Now i need to find a good store to buy cheap shorts and shoes (with cleats) to ride.

Doubt: People usually wear shorts over cycling pants? Or its too weird? Because i got cycling pants ( that tight ones who fits the legs) and i'm trying to save money.
  • cooldad
    They do normally wear baggy shorts over lycra shorts, but I wouldn't get too stressed about it one way or the other.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sednan
    Tryng to buy tkt to wendover, but says all bicycle spaces are full.

=/. So frustrating.

I really need to book the bicycle seat? Or i can go without seat/bike booking?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    With chiltern railways?

Unless things have changed drastically recently their bike policy is very liberal. You can take your bike on as long as it isn't during peak times on a train leaving Marylebone or Birmingham between 8-10 am and 16.30-19.30 IIRC.

I've never booked a bicycle seat with them, I've always just taken the bike into a carriage with me, left it by the doors. If it's in the way when the train stops I move it. This is what most other people seem to do too, if I'm honest I haven't noticed a specific bike compartment on their trains.

Also there are no restrictions on bikes at the weekends.
  • sednan
    Angry Bird wrote:
    With chiltern railways?

Unless things have changed drastically recently their bike policy is very liberal. You can take your bike on as long as it isn't during peak times on a train leaving Marylebone or Birmingham between 8-10 am and 16.30-19.30 IIRC.

I've never booked a bicycle seat with them, I've always just taken the bike into a carriage with me, left it by the doors. If it's in the way when the train stops I move it. This is what most other people seem to do too, if I'm honest I haven't noticed a specific bike compartment on their trains.

Also there are no restrictions on bikes at the weekends.
    Ty sir!!

Btw, theres a video of a trail imusually do in my country:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... l1axxjORWc