Handlebars

benpinnick
benpinnick Posts: 4,148
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Everything will switch over fine, you shouldnt need to shorten the cables. The only tricky buit can be removing the grips, if they're not lock on then you'll need to push them off the bar, not pull! Its like a chinese finger puzzle you see... If you push them they bunch up and get wider, if you pull them they get thinner as they stretch and so harder to get off.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Just be sure to tighten the stem faceplate bolts evenly.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    also make sure you get the right clamp size, you got two to choose from, 25.4 (older) or 31.8 (newer)

your other option would be to keep the same bars, and get a stem that puts the bars higher
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mojsan wrote:
    Is fitting a new bar straight forward? I have had a look on u tube and it look straight forward, but will things like cable need shortening if I go for shorter bars?
    maybe maybe not. as well as going narrower you are going up.

you may find the hoses are too short and you will have to reposition the spacers to above the stem (if there are any).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Narrowest normal width is 580mm, if yours are 620mm, just moving your hands in 1cm (less than 1/2") will achieve the same effect......
    I do have a Tioga low rise (20mm) 25.4mm bar for sale cheap, PM me if your interested.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Each to their own - but what are you hoping to achieve with this reduction? 620mm is already pretty narrow by today's standards; most people with 680mm are putting wider bars on!
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Like dhobiwallah says, 620mm is skirting the limits of narrow bars.
    Each to their own though.
    Obvious stuff, make sure the stem fits the bar as they have differing sizes..brakes and gears will fit.
    You should not need to shorten any cables for such a small difference, just beware that the cockpit size will lengthen with tighter bars so maybe you will need a longer stem.
    Manouverability will be more challenging as well due to less leverage.
    Be carefull with stem torque. Sorry if I'm telling you somthing you already know but get the stem to bar bolts torqued properly or buy another bar later or more expensive, some teeth..