Pushing back pistons

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
On my rear ELixir R disc brake the pads are sticking to the rotor. I changed the pads and i think the pistons are still not far enough in. I have tried with a bluntish screwdriver to push the pistons back in but they wont really go back in that far. The result is by pads having lots of contact with the rotor and making my ride useless.

Do i need to bleed them and reset the pistons or is it a case of trying to ram the pistons back further? Really need some help here as it is really frustrating when i can't ride.
Thanks in advance
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what happens when you press on one piston (pad)?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    the other piston doesn't seem to move very much at all. I have tried pushing on one and then the other - trying to move them in. The brake was 100% fine before i decided to change the pads
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have got hem off centre. Remove the wheel and put something clean and slim where the disc would have been and pump the pistons back out again. Clean the sides of the pistons (remove the pads) dry an refit the pads. Then push the prisons home (pressing on the back of he oposite pad works well. Then when that is sorted put th wheel back in an reset he pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sounds like you have got hem off centre. Remove the wheel and put something clean and slim where the disc would have been and pump the pistons back out again. Clean the sides of the pistons (remove the pads) dry an refit the pads. Then push the prisons home (pressing on the back of he oposite pad works well. Then when that is sorted put th wheel back in an reset he pads.

Brilliant. thanks for that Nick. I'll give it a go tomorrow after work and write back here if it works/or doesn't. Thanks again!!