Any cures for leg cramps at night?

jjonescali
jjonescali Posts: 3
Wondering what's the best way to fix leg cramps? More electrolytes? More potassium or magnesium?

Comments

• bananananananananananas
  • I think Calcium and Magnesium tablets are exactly good for that...so it's about taking a supplement if you choose to,

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6047473_magne ... ramps.html

Note though it gets a warning:
    Warning *

See your doctor before starting a regimen of supplements. Also, if you have a history of kidney stones, see your doctor before taking calcium supplements. If, after increasing your intake of calcium and magnesium, your cramps don't cease, see your doctor because there are other treatments for cramps.

But other options are massage, even self-massage, I use to go to a whirlpool to sit in too after a hard run and that worked. People massage with olive oil and other oils. That could work too. Be sure to stretch well after exercise.

Even a hot water bath, shower, steam room might be worth a try.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/47893 ... or-cramps/ Another link talking about the Ca Mg type tablets, I think those are the correct chemical symbols.
    Calcium and magnesium can both be taken as supplements, but consult with a licensed nutritionist who can help you determine the best forms and dosages to take. Certain forms of vitamins and minerals are not as bio-available as others, meaning the body does not absorb them as well. A nutritionist can tell you what kind is the best to take according to what drugs you may be prescribed and what allergies you have. If you are experiencing muscle cramping, talk to your doctor before starting any nutrition regimen, as it may be a sign of something more serious.

I'm just adding this in. Also, there are natural foods to get these vitamins from.
  • I use bananananas and a dioralyte If I feel dehydrated
  • GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    You can also drink the soft drink 7 up its a dioralyte properties
    GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bananananananananananas

Listen to the monkey dont take any supplement crap nature has specially made the right thing for all of us apemen.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    For cramp at night, lots of stretching after exercise, and compression clothing can help.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Taurine can help as well
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    You sure it bike related? cramp is also a sign of uncontrolled diabetes.

Other side effects are excessive drinking, associated pissing and blurred vision
  • DCR00
    sandy771 wrote:

Other side effects are excessive drinking, associated pissing and blurred vision

Are you being serious ? this post made me laugh

Do you not think that the cramps are probably bike related ? hence why posting in a bike forum..?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DCR00 wrote:
    sandy771 wrote:

Do you not think that the cramps are probably bike related ? hence why posting in a bike forum..?
    It's entirely possible to cramp without being near to,or having anything to do with a bike. It's your post that is laughable.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    DCR00 wrote:
    sandy771 wrote:

I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago and the first symptoms were cramps. I had recently started training (a lot of running) and initially put the night time cramps down to that. Why wouldn't I in those circumstances?

Just because its posted on a MTB forum it does not follow that the answer is in MTBing - It's not always the obvious that is the answer as you seem to think.
  • jjonescali
    jjonescali Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for all the help. after doing a bit more research found some other interesting facts. according to this leg cramps at night blog, a lack of calcium, magnesium or potassium can cause them. i had always heard that low potassium could be the cause, which makes sense why bananas help, but the mag and calcium where new to me.
  • Following activities might help prevent leg cramps during night:
    - Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
    - Wearing shoes that have proper support.
    - Stretching your leg muscles, or riding a stationary bicycle, for a few minutes before you go to bed.
    - Untucking the bed covers at the foot of your bed.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 wrote:
    sandy771 wrote:

It's entirely possible to cramp without being near to,or having anything to do with a bike. It's your post that is laughable.

of course, but given the poster is asking the question on a bike forum, its not unreasonable to assume that the cramps are being experienced after being on the bike
  • DCR00
    sandy771 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    sandy771 wrote:

I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago and the first symptoms were cramps. I had recently started training (a lot of running) and initially put the night time cramps down to that. Why wouldn't I in those circumstances?

Just because its posted on a MTB forum it does not follow that the answer is in MTBing - It's not always the obvious that is the answer as you seem to think.

fair enough mate, i can see why you posted that