Bikes stolen at Hogg Hill

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited March 2012 in Amateur race
Reading from VeloUk that a couple of bikes have been stolen at Hogg Hill in the last couple of weeks.

I'm not often at Hogg Hill and Hillingdon, but it has struck me that it could be a thieves dream as I along with anyone else just leave my bike unlocked propped up against the wall/railings while I get changed, go for a pee, get a drink etc.......

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Would think the type to steal bikes would be obvious :evil: The organisers should allow you to leave your bikes in a secure spot that you can only get if you have a race number on...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I daresay organsers have enough on their plate as it is.
    We all have to be that little bit careful and looking out for eackh other and the unusual... easy enough to spot at HQs like village halls, less so at motor circuits and big leisure centres.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    I've heard about thieves turning up at sportives dressed in cycling gear and looking for people going to pee. They then grab the bike and load it in a transit van. You can imagine any witness statements.
    Question - "What did he look like?"
    Answer - "Well he wore lycra shorts, cycling top, and I didn't get a good look at his face as he was wearing a cycle helmet and a pair of sunglasses.

Of course if anyone saw them trying to steal the bike they simply say - "sorry mate looks exactly like my own...."

BEWARE
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    As a sportive and race organizer, forget it, it's tough enuf to get volunteers as it is - when you go to blue-water mall does blue-water look after your car for you? We're adults, so take a really light lock to discourage opportunistic grabs. Simple as... Bike stealing is not a race organizer's issue, just isn't. It's the owner's issue.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • As a sportive and race organizer, forget it, it's tough enuf to get volunteers as it is - when you go to blue-water mall does blue-water look after your car for you? We're adults, so take a really light lock to discourage opportunistic grabs. Simple as... Bike stealing is not a race organizer's issue, just isn't. It's the owner's issue.

In principle I couldn't agree more. Would you leave your car unattended somewhere with the keys in the ignition whilst you nipped to the loo? Well, actually, yes - people do do that. And then wonder why their cars get nicked... :?

But for a dedicated facility like Hog Hill - it could have been considered...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Bike stealing is not a race organizer's issue, just isn't.

Rubbish!

The triathlons that I have done - no one is allowed into the bike enclosure unless you have a race number and it matches the number on your bike. And this was strictly enforced. Anyone who had lost their number or had other issues, had to wait until the end of the event before they could claim their bike.
    However, this approach does put a burden on the event organiser to man a safe enclosure.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Bike stealing is not a race organizer's issue, just isn't.

Hmm, can't totally agree with that!

The triathlons that I have done - no one is allowed into the bike enclosure unless you have a race number and it matches the number on your bike. And this was strictly enforced. Anyone who had lost their number or had other issues, had to wait until the end of the event before they could claim their bike.
    However, this approach does put a burden on the event organiser to man a safe enclosure.
  • ga02clr
    ga02clr Posts: 97
    Triathlons are completely different. Your bike is only in a 'secure' area when in transition which is after you have signed in got your number etc. From experience people leave their bike outside to sign on at races.... We all do it but now they seem to be walking the small lock idea does make sense.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I always asked a friend to guard my bike when I had to step away (signing on or going to the toilet) and then reverse the roles. I have to agree that expecting to organisers to guard/protect 50+ bikes is unrealistic.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I agree that securing your bike at an event is the owner's responsibility - if there's even an implied liability for the event organiser, then you're opening the gates to all manner of problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Agree that the security of the bikes shouldn't be the organisers concern. Although perhaps there could be a more accessible (and fairly large given that it's a cycling event/venue) area to allow riders to lock their bikes to. Not sure the railings around the tracks would be the answer.

Triathlon is completely different BTW....
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    FWIW it looked to me like most unattended bikes at Hog Hill on Sturday were locked. Didn't really seem to be too much of a problem for the racers.