Dropper post... What are my options?

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok.. Looking at maybe getting a dropper post after seeing how easy they are to use after riding with someone who had one...

So what are my options / prices... pros and cons?
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not that i am an expert i never used one, far to fancy for my liking..

but the rockshox reverb one seem to score the best reviews

one of my mates has a specialized comand post it's took some abuse but i know he did have a few issues with it-it was slow returning to the up positons but after a bleed it was fine..

now to open a can of worms and throw the cat into the pigeons.

the ks ones are or were poo they may have sorted out the issues now but i know back in 09 3 mates had them and ended up binning them as they had to much trouble with them..

same with the early crank brothers joplin one. but i sure the newer ones sorted out their issues..

my money would go on the rockshox reverb
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    get the gravity dropper, their the only type of adjustable post that isn't a pain in the arse , its ugly but its super reliable and needs almost no maintenence .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    +1 for the reverb, never owned one but just seems the best but I might be inclined to wait to see what comes of the crank brothers kronolog (but I don't like their remote).
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    edited March 2012
    you don't say what diameter seatpost your frame takes but,

I have a reverb and it's brilliant, easy to setup and use just watch the cable routing if on a full suss.

I've also had a joplin which was ok but the lack of a remote and having to take your hand of the bars to drop it was a pain sometimes.

Giant switch gets mixed reviews but its alot cheaper than a reverb.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    b45her wrote:
    get the gravity dropper, their the only type of adjustable post that isn't a pain in the ars* , its ugly but its super reliable and needs almost no maintenence .

My reverb has been totally PITA free. And it doesnt look like my grandad made it in his shed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Reverb, I've never tried anything else but having said that, the Reverb has been brilliant, does everything you ask of it other than pedal your bike for you.

If I was to get another one, I'd go for a right hand side handlebar mounted one and mount it on the left, upside down... For some reason, it's more awkward to push when it's on the left above the bar compared to my mates right mounted that's on the underside of the bar on the left. ;0)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Reverb. Had a couple of the others, now got the best. Most reliable, smoothest, least play, wonderful piece of kit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    I have only ever used a reverb. Faultless out of the box. It is a lot of money but if you look after it, it should last years. £200 over 4-5 years say, doesn't look bad value at all in my opinion.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    I've not had anything to compare to but the Joplin 4 that came as std on my bike works fine so far.

People seem to be divided on Reverbs. The bloke at the bike shop where I bought the bike said he'd seen quite a few returns due to problems - he wasn't trying to sell me another seatpost as the Joplin was OE on the bike. Also, seem to remember that Reverbs remote switch is positioned so that you bust it if you turn the bike upside down to do a bit of fettling?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • benpinnick
    The remote is a bit annoying positioned, but its perfect to use, so you just need to be carefull if you flip the bike over. Its prtty tough though, so I have some scratches but no damage worth noting.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    My reverb is excellent only had it for 2-3 months but it takes a hammering from my 17st weight on 2-3 rides per week and copes brilliantly.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Reverb is fine as long as it works... Especially now they've fixed the issue with the hose unions. Overpriced and overcomplicated IMO but still good. And excellent support if they go wrong. Hydraulic operation is nice but a bit of a weakness in some ways-if you break a cable you'll be able to find a replacement anywhere, but not if you damage a hose or union.

KS i900 and i950 used to be rubbish, but they've mostly sorted that. Mine didn't work from new but was fixed under warranty and hasn't skipped a beat since- 2 years constant use all year round with just 1 service, no bother. Very good. Warranty service via Superstar was, well, rubbish tbh- they told me to service it to fix it, then when that didn't work told me I must have caused the problem when I serviced it (ie, my servicing travelled back in time), then they said they'd fixed it but sent it back still broken. But they did manage it on the 2nd attempt, after they stopped making things up.

Gravity Dropper- lighter, and the most reliable and the easiest to fix and service, and the easiest to get parts for. But incredibly ugly which seems to put people off. Available in 27.2 unlike most.

Crank Bros... I've done 2 rides on a Joplin 4 and it broke in the middle of both rides. I know a few folks with these and they've all had problems. Warranty backup has been good though. Nice when it works. The new one might be great- they've got unmatched experience in making bad dropper seatposts and fixing faults so the testing process should go well ;) But you've got to be insane to buy a new design dropper post IMO, every one of the recent ones has done its beta testing with paying customers.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    Northwind wrote:
    Reverb is fine as long as it works... Especially now they've fixed the issue with the hose unions. Overpriced and overcomplicated IMO but still good. And excellent support if they go wrong. Hydraulic operation is nice but a bit of a weakness in some ways-if you break a cable you'll be able to find a replacement anywhere, but not if you damage a hose or union.

The hoses, strain reliefs, barbs etc. are easily had. £4 for the bit that joins to the seatpost (that most commonly fails as I understand it) £10 buys you all the hoses and connections. They even do the bits in white!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Sure, you can order them easily but you can walk into any bike shop in the world and get a gear cable, and fit one in 2 minutes without needing a bleed kit or similiar. How many shops stock reverb parts when you want them in a hurry?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Joplin I had worked well, apart from when it got incredibly filthy (and I do mean CAKED in mud) then it would sometimes refuse to click into place.

The Gravity dropper turbo I've been using on the old Edison has been superb. Worked straight out the box and hasn't put a single foot wrong since. It's also (to my knowledge) the lightest dropper post available. It's also available in "multi" option for those who want High/low and something inbetween.

The Reverb that's coming on my new Reed is something of an unknown for me. I'm willing to try it out, but it's going to have to be f**king good to be better than the GD though. First sign of having to cockabout to get it set up and it'll be on the classifieds.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    my reverb hasn't been on many rides yet, but Llandegla was filthy at the weekend and it caused no issues whatsoever, likewise with any other mud caked rides it has endured so far it's operated exactly the same in wet or dry
  • Northwind
    Oh- Gravity Droppers, the multi drop isn't their best idea ever. It puts another massive hole in the inner seat tube, which unsurprisingly isn't as strong then as a tube without a massive hole in. It's not exactly weak, but I've only ever seen pics of a few broken GDs and every last one was a multi-drop snapped at the hole. I never used it anyway so I just went back to standard single-drop.
    Uncompromising extremist