Should I be a brand snob

snowjho
snowjho Posts: 108
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys (new to all this so please be gentle)

Looking to get a full susser but can't justify spending huge amounts.

How does the spec of the RockRider 9.2, Rockrider ER1 and Specialized Camber Comp compare spec wise, also the Team Boardman FS? Is there anything else I should consider? Its mainly to be used around the Surrey Hills.

The Decathlon bikes seems to have really good spec is the frame as upgradable as perhaps the Camber frame is?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Probably a good idea to post links or specs up here...

Without looking, I will state that the Boardman will have a better spec than the Specialized.
    Pound-for-pound they are the best specced bikes out there - it's all a question of whether you trust the staff at your local Bike Hut to do their job properly :wink:

Haven't got a clue about the RR 9.2 or ER1
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    going by what you have listed, something here should be in your budget range http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... ve-xc.html
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Be a brand snob if you want and buy the shittest bike out of the lot
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    edited March 2012
    From your budget, you sound as though you're about the £1k mark, correct?

I ride the Surrey Hills, and have owned a Boardman Team FS ('11), which was great. Spec, price etc, but I didn't quite get on with it.

My bro had a fsr xc from Spesh, which was the same price - spec on the Boardman was much better and is better specced than the Camber.

However, just to throw a rather beautiful spanner in the works.. depending on what size you're after, how would an ex-demo 2011 Whyte T-120 or a ex demo 2010 Marin Mount Vision sound?

If I had a grand to burn, my money would be spent on either of those, without a doubt.

(Used to have a Mount Vision too, which is more than capable for the SH. Now have an Attack Trail.. clearly a Quad link fanboi, but they are great) ;)
  • snowjho
    Sorry I meant to do this before but was rushing.

Rockrider 9.2

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92-2011-id_8153766.html

Rockrider ER1

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-er1-id_8161007.html

Specialized Camber Comp 2012

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/camber-fsr-comp-2012-mountain-bike-ec030717

Team Boardman FS

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/fs_team.html

I love the look of the Canyon bikes but have to purchase through a store.
  • snowjho
    Yeah budget is around the £1K. The Whyte bike looks great but the frame looks too small, I need to buy it through a shop too unfortunately.

Is the Camber comp really that poor Concorde?

I'm not fussed about bying a known brand or not just want value for money with upgrade potential if I really get into it.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As the lesser Rockrider just won a WMB test then that one should offer all the positives from that test but with an even better spec!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Beardface
    snowjho wrote:
    Yeah budget is around the £1K. The Whyte bike looks great but the frame looks too small, I need to buy it through a shop too unfortunately.

I'm not fussed about bying a known brand or not just want value for money with upgrade potential if I really get into it.

How tall are you? I'm 6ft, ride a medium Attack Trail, and it fits me spot on. There are a few areas around here that you can try some Marin/Whytes out. Happy to let you test my Attack Trail if you want too ;) (Oh, and you would be buying the Whyte/Marin though a shop... :))

If you want something upgradeable, get the camber, as that has the most parts that I would want to change (IMHO).

The rockrider 9.2 is a superb bit of kit for the money, as is the ER1.

Out of the 4 you chose (and because I've had the Boardman before), I'd go for the 9.2.

Brand snobs are just that. You'll get them everywhere, just ignore them and enjoy your bike and your ride (some regrettably do turn their noses up if you're not on a 29" titanium orange 5... :roll:) ;)
  • snowjho
    Stav wrote:
    How tall are you? I'm 6ft, ride a medium Attack Trail, and it fits me spot on. There are a few areas around here that you can try some Marin/Whytes out. Happy to let you test my Attack Trail if you want too ;) (Oh, and you would be buying the Whyte/Marin though a shop... :))

If you want something upgradeable, get the camber, as that has the most parts that I would want to change (IMHO).

The rockrider 9.2 is a superb bit of kit for the money, as is the ER1.

Out of the 4 you chose (and because I've had the Boardman before), I'd go for the 9.2.

Brand snobs are just that. You'll get them everywhere, just ignore them and enjoy your bike and your ride (some regrettably do turn their noses up if you're not on a 29" titanium orange 5... :roll:) ;)

Where is this shop? I'm 6ft on a good day :) , just naively assumed it looked too small.

I had heard good things about the 9.1 but not a lot about the 9.2 and didn't want to assume that it was just as good if not better.
  • chez_m356
    snowjho wrote:
    I love the look of the Canyon bikes but have to purchase through a store.
    by this do you mean cycle to work scheme? if so, that could rule out ex demo and previous years models, best advice, go and sit on the ones you like
  • Beardface
    snowjho - there is a Whyte dealer in Staines (I forget the name, sorry), Marin dealer in Chertsey (cycle surgery)

http://www.marin.co.uk/2012/dealer.php
    http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/dealer_locator.php

I thought the Attack Trail would be a bit small for me when I first saw it, but after the first ride, it's spot on. Pop the seatpost up for the hills, then drop it for the downs.. personally, I find it the best of both worlds to have a slightly smaller frame. Sure, the ups are marginally harder, but the downs are more fun. TT Length is perfect for me though, so it's all good :)

Chez makes a good point though - get to shops, sit on the bikes you have in mind, see which one feels best for you. If they let you have a spin in the car park, do it. If they're offering demo days, do it.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    snowjho wrote:

It's not that poor it's just not the pick of the bunch for me. I'd go with the Rokrider al day long, followed by the Boardman, lastly the spesh. Everybody's got a Spesh anyway. Boring!
  • snowjho
    Thanks guys for all the info. I feel the RR 9.2 has a great speak based on my limited knowledge. Hopefully going to see/sit on one this weekend. Seems unlikely i'll be able to demo it properly.

Everyone does seem to have a spesh or lapierre atm.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Decathlon and Halfords are hard to beat on value, their full price bikes are often better than discounted competitors.

The Camber looks to be a great bike but the spec of the lower models is really pretty poor. Spec isn't everything, but it's nice to get good parts, I wouldn't be happy paying £1300 or so for a bike with a turnkey rockshox fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    In a way you could say that buying a bike with a nice spec is being a brand snob, you're just being snobby about the components rather than the frame. XTR is a sub-brand of Shimano for example. I my opinion, anything from Deore upwards works great if it's in good condition and is set up correctly. I'd much rather have a set of really good quality lightweight wheels (faster acceleration) or a Titanium railed saddle (comfy) than a shiny top-of-the-range groupset (looks good/bragging rights). The most important part of any bike is the frame, I personally think that in general Specialized make a better frame than say, Boardman, but I think that is more to do with those particular brands' ethos than because Boardman are better value for money. A good example of "massive brand vs value-for-money brand" was the 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8 against the canyon Nerve XC in WMB's bike of the year shootout. I happened to be one of the models on the photoshoot for that test and rode both bikes back-to-back on the day. I personally thought that the Trek rode a little bit better but I was mightily impressed with the Canyon's ability. Just because a brand is perceived as "budget" doesn't mean they can't make a good frame, but at the same rate, the big brand managed to make a better bike (in my opinion) despite having an inferior componentry list.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • chez_m356
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    The most important part of any bike is the frame, I personally think that in general Specialized make a better frame than say, Boardman, but I think that is more to do with those particular brands' ethos than because Boardman are better value for money.
    but aren't they both made by merida ?
  • I would go with the Rockrider every day of the week. Fantastic bikes with a great spec and unbeatable for the money. Decathlon's service is second to none also. :)
  • snowjho
    So I may go for the 9.1 since it may be tricky persuading my employer to go over the 1000 pound limit.leaves room for extras too. Another bike I could get is the trance x4, how does it compare. for riding in the surrey hills, is that cross country or all mountain?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Concorde wrote:
    Be a brand snob if you want and buy the shittest bike out of the lot

You're just jealous you can't afford the brand.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    The most important part of any bike is the frame, I personally think that in general Specialized make a better frame than say, Boardman, but I think that is more to do with those particular brands' ethos than because Boardman are better value for money.
    but aren't they both made by merida ?

Yep, same factory! The speshes may be a bit lighter, but both use the same forming and welding apparatus.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Same Factory as my Carrera frame as well.....interestingly my Kraken frame weighs the same as the same size Boardman frame which is butted...

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.