forks done for?

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
basically, i was cleaning my bike the other day and ive noticed an area on the stanchions that has a 'score' mark that has rusted slightly. it is right at the front just above where the seals are. havent noticed it before but cant be sure it wasnt there. what im asking is are the forks now done for or can something be done to save them/prolong there life? what are the effects of this damage going to be?is it possible that any hydraulic fluid could leak from here? cheers, chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what forks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crispy1980
    doh!! they are suntour xcr that came on my gt aggressor, i know there by no means the best but i cant afford to replace at the moment and i have arranged a trip to cannock chase ina few weeks and im hoping the forks will be ok for that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can't feel the problem when you ride, just ride until you do. They are not going to suddenly disintegrate.
    You could smooth the area down a little - maybe just some steel wool to remove the rust (pre soaped pot scourers might work best) and coat the area with a little clear nail polish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    will do that then. ive got my second son due any day now so dont need to be spending!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit more detail here
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12543653
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    crispy1980 wrote:
    doh!! they are suntour xcr that came on my gt aggressor, i know there by no means the best but i cant afford to replace at the moment and i have arranged a trip to cannock chase ina few weeks and im hoping the forks will be ok for that?
    what year?

and is it just an XCR or is it an XCR something?

there may be nothing in the fork other than a spring and some grease but more info needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crispy1980
    i believe its a 2009 ? cant seem to find the accurate spec online. its lists as having 120mm travel but im certain it is only 100mm?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On most XCR (all I've come acroos) the seals are just to stop crud getting into the lowers, any damping is cartridge, so you may need to take the lowers off (5 minute job) and clean them out a bit more often (they need doing quite frequantly anyway, as the seals are rubbish).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • crispy1980
    i had it wrong, the forks are suntour XCM v2. cheers, chris. i assume to take lowers off involves removing the two bolts at the bottom of the forks?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, loosen them about 4mm, tap them back in lightly with a hammer to free the ends of the uppers from the lowers, then undo and just pull apart, it really is that easy.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.