Images sometimes not showing on forum??

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
Never used to get this happen at all but I get a lot of this lately...

missing.png

Does anyone know why? Im assuming it might be something to do with when people use the 'upload attachment' bit when posting images, as against linking to hosted ones.

(I cant click on what I see there to see the image or anything, and happens viewing on PC or Mac).

Comments

• mfin
    Forgot to mention, this is in FireFox, all updated, latest versions, but on PC and Mac... for instance on Mac Safari I could visit where I took that screenshot and can see the image, is odd.

EDIT: saying that, I just checked that in Safari and whereas earlier today I could see the PIC now I see very similar to the screenshot above and cant see it anymore.
  • mfin
    I looked into this a bit further by installing Chrome.

Well, I see the attachement the first time the page loads. If I go back to the page or refresh the page, i then cant see it.

Then, if I close and repopen I will not see the attachment again also... but, if I clear all history in the browser and visit again, I can see it one more time, then the behaviour starts again.

This behaviour is the same in Safari. I believe that the URL for the image contains a session ID, that gets cached and ID is out-of-date when I look again, I think this is a setting within the admin section of PHPBB that lots of people could be suffering because of, although I am not 100% sure.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I, too, suffer from this particular ailment.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508

just testing it on chrome
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    no it worked for me on chrome. How big is the image?
  • mfin
    Weird... (nice image by the way) cos the image you've now posted I can 'log in and out' and refresh as much as I like and it stays visible so works fine. Your URL shows as download/file.php?id=990

...I went to empty Chrome and go look at the other image, get it to show and compare the URL and now I cant get it to show at all again! Weird. I do website work for a living a lot of the time too so I'm pretty meticulous at pinning down behaviour when looking at errors. Little lost on this at the moment. Will dawn on me what's going on in a bit.
  • nweststeyn
    I, too, am seeing Cleats attachment a-OK.
  • nweststeyn
    Nope, as soon as I posted on this thread and refreshed it, the picture disappeared.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm not seeing Cleat's image. Perhaps it had norks in it ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mfin
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm not seeing Cleat's image. Perhaps it had norks in it ?

You weren't missing any norks. Seriously, you can't see that image then?

Well, it seems like I've brought up a problem that's happening for a bunch of people.

When I get some time I'll install PHBBB v3 on some hosting and look into the problem, see if I can suss it out. I suppose I should have posted the thread somewhere else, but assumed at first there would be a simple answer to what I'd noticed.

If other people cant see images in the same way then post on this thread at least and we'll get something sussed on it.
  • mfin wrote:
    If other people cant see images in the same way then post on this thread at least and we'll get something sussed on it.

I can't see any images in this thread.

Using Firefox.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    ah now thats odd. posting this from firefox on a mac and now I can't see any images - its like the OP's original pic, theres a name of the jpeg but no image. I'm going to upload a pic and see what happens.
  • Cleat Eastwood

ok uploaded from FF
  • Cleat Eastwood
    odder and odder. The image I posted smigger.jpg with chrome I cant see on firefox, but the image Ijust uploaded through FF I can now see. I wonder if inthe cookies its not registering the link to my desktop?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    odder and odder. The image I posted smigger.jpg with chrome I cant see on firefox, but the image Ijust uploaded through FF I can now see. I wonder if inthe cookies its not registering the link to my desktop?

I think that the cookies aren't registering. That's probably because they're eccles cakes.
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I can see the cakes but not the first pic - using safari on an iPad.

I also get the same issue as mfin using FF on a MacBook
  • I can't see any images in this thread.

I can now see Eccles cakes (yum yum) and Cleats sniggering (urghh).