Advice for Suntour XCR Forks

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a problem with my front forks. I have a fourth hand 2006 Carrera Banshee with Suntour XCR 100mm forks on it but the previous owner of the bike had little knowledge on suspension so he never serviced or cleaned them. The problem is that when I preload the forks, it will physically stop at 50mm no matter what i do to it. Also most of the time the rebound takes about 2 seconds to go back to 100mm :x . I think the seals have been damaged or clogged up as a bit of the fork has been scratched up by some sand or muck. If anyone know how to solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your best bet is probably to replace them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I have the model up, (XCR) and they are pretty awful too even though there's nothing 'broke' with them - saving up for some rebas or recons at the moment. I just take them apart every few weeks to clean them and regrease everything. Sounds like it may be too late for that though so your best bet is just to buy a replacement - new recons can be picked up for £110ish - see onone or merlin
  • MTB noob
    Thanks for the tip - I just didn't want to waste money on thing I don't need to.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You can probably just open them by yourself, don't need to be a rocket scientist to handle them. Remove the lowers, clean them, then grease and lube the dust seals and stanchions, and if you have the proper key, you can even open the spring side and grease the spring too.

PS, do they have hydraulic damping?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some XCR's that came off a bike I got for spares, when I stripped them the lowers were full of mud, 20 minues soaking and flushing with a hose, 20 minutes to clean the shite off the stantions and dry it all out, fresh grease and back together and they were little worse than they were new 6 years ago.....

Remove lowers by loosening the 2 allen bolts on the base, tap with a hammer (gently) to free them, then undo and pull apart, 2 minute job.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Thought it said XCM for some reason .... but yep if its the XCR LO's they have hydraulic damping. The lockout works on mine, preload doesn't do anything, just turns and keeps clicking but doesn't really bother me.
  • Bikerguy15
    Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
    There's a bottom-out bumper in the in the lowers of the fork that stops it moving any more than about 50mm, 60 at best. It's just how they are designed due to being cost effective. Reduces the risk of anyone breaking them due to "testing" the fork at its extremities.
  • MTB noob
    I have decided to sell them to a friend because he has the proper machinery to undo the bolts because they have seized up over 6 years. I am now saving up to get a Carrera Titan so i have XCM's which from my view, are better than new XCR's. To answer 386ka 's question - i only have the basic model so probably no. But thank you all for your advice - it has been useful.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    XCRs are better than XCMs. Many XCMs do not have any damping and are essentially a pogo stick with a wheel attached. I would go for a rockrider 8.1 or one of the Halfords voodoo or carrera hardtails over a Titan as sub £500 full sussers are often heavy and underspecced
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some XCM have hydro damping, while some XCR do not. The main difference is the structure, the XCM is a cheaper, flimsier unit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some XCR's have mag lowers as well (mine do if anyone wants some!).....

Having ridden both the XCR's are a much more confidence inspiring (comparing hyrdaulic damped versions, both 100mm).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.