Cotic bfe

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    i hope those rims are as strong as there supposed to be :lol: looking forward to seeing it all together
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    :D me too! Weight came in @ 1937 grams off a claimed superstar weight of 1900, so not bad. I was thinking about a chain device too. Not sure what to go for though! Any suggestions?
  • BikeBen
    BikeBen Posts: 45
    Really interested to see this when it's all built up thinking about doing a very similar build (well Cotic Bfe with Revelations). Make sure you post some pics and let us know how it rides.

Cheers.
  • specialeyes
    Will do!
    Meanwhile, orders are trickling in...
    Troy Lee Odi lock ons.
    imag0130z.jpg
  • specialeyes
    barsph.jpg

Few more bits, Renthal fat bars, superstar simple seatpost, superstar nanos in electric blue, mowa cage bolts and valve caps.

Also fitted some superstar rotors 180/160 with tarty bolts.

imag0133ro.jpg

Couple more paydays now! :?

I didn't use the crayons in the background to tart the bolts up :lol:
  • After many set backs with the house falling to bits and having to divert funds to fix it, I've finally managed to finish the bfe. With the odd compromise - brakes were going to be xt but had to settle for deores.

imag0261br.jpg

imag0262g.jpg
    Big tyres!
  • imag0264v.jpg

imag0271hw.jpg

Valve/graphic alignment :wink:

imag0270h.jpg

imag0272g.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sweet bike! Really loving the slack angled hardtails right now :) I almost got one of the new BFE frames but went for a Ragley instead as it was cheaper and i preferred the geo. Yours looks lovely though :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • specialeyes
    edited September 2012
    First ride today, trying to get the forks dialed in and iron out any problems. Was gonna chop the bars down a bit but they felt good. Running the hd's tubeless, so messed about with the pressure a bit, the feel really grippy though, especially the trailstar out front. They are a bit draggy on the flat, though great on technical uphills.

It climbs really well too, even @ 150mm. I tried the travel adjust and tbh it felt better at full extent. Will need a few more rides to see if its a good feature or not.

Lands drops sweetly too, although I did lose the chain off one 3ft drop to flat, despite the stinger but I guess its not really a chain guide anyway.

I think Xmas will see a reverb going on it! :D
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Sweet bike! Really loving the slack angled hardtails right now :) I almost got one of the new BFE frames but went for a Ragley instead as it was cheaper and i preferred the geo. Yours looks lovely though :)

Cheers! It's a bit tarty, with all the colour matched bits but it will soon be covered in mud come winter. :wink:
  • Nice bike fella,
    keep us posted on the hans damph please, been contemplating them for the soul,

just in case, www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk do stainless steel bolts in a very nice blue that would match the frame very well.. ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Nice bike fella,
    keep us posted on the hans damph please, been contemplating them for the soul,

just in case, http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk do stainless steel bolts in a very nice blue that would match the frame very well.. ;-)

Will do. Another ride today up to hartshead pike. Bike feels so good, I can't believe how good it climbs. The dampfs just roll over everything, so much better than nobby nics and rocket rons imo.
    It was between the hd's and rubber queens and I'm happy with my choice.

Also the ride doesn't feel harsh at all. Read a few people saying its a harsh frame, maybe its down to the tyres though.

imag0285k.jpg

imag0283lg.jpg

Didn't hang around too long here :shock:
  • Mad Max
    Mad Max Posts: 124
    Very nice mate.
    Great frame and a well thought out spec. The only problem i have is that i want one now :oops:

I went past that farm last week and two sheep and a pot bellied pig tried to steal my ride. Thieving b@stards. :shock:
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • Almost makes me wish I'd got a blue one 8)
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • imag0294l.jpg

Added another colour, mud!

Rode diggle jiggle today, still impressed by the tyres, except on flat road they feel like riding through treacle. Also found a little play in the headset so needs a little tinkering tomorrow.
  • The Hans dampfs had a run out in the slop yesterday. Up a rather steep incline through very sloppy mud they struggled for traction a bit but I did manage to get up without dabbing. I found them better than the nobby nics in that situation though and cornering grip was still good.
    Even though the bfe is designed for large tyres, there's not a lot of room for clearance either side of the chainstays and I soon picked up a lot of shite which made its way on to the front mech, a few bunny hops soon sorted this out though.

Only did about 6 or 7 miles due to falling off at ridiculously slow speed, hurting my leg and loosing a crank bolt.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Looks very nice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That looks so nice it almost tempts me into getting one.....almost!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Proper job bang tidy chap nice paint too
  • specialeyes
    bf1HLbM.jpg?1
    HTfcUYi.jpg?1
    Switch to 1x10 with Zee components, superstar ring and xt cassette.
    Maybe looking at a full suss in a couple of years but I will be keeping the bfe though. Was brilliant on an uplift day at Antur Stiniog although I didn't go near the black route.
    New trye in the pipeline and I think I will try servicing the forks myself. :?