Hope hub sealed cartridge wear indicators

Russell160
Russell160 Posts: 67
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
How do you tell when it's time to replace the bearings on a hope hub, or any other sealed cartridge hub for that matter.
I am thinking of buying a wheelset that looks a bit long in the tooth and want to know how to check them first before committing. I am familiar with good ol' cup and cone but a novice on sealed cartridge.
I am not sure the model of the Hope hub: it's not a Pro, there's no etchings on it, black. Could even be screw on?
I am guessing a replacement cost of about £15 per wheel, is that about right?
Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When there is play or they don't run smoothly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok thanks, but how specifically could I test for that: they are on a bike but I'm probably not going to be able to ride it.
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    with the bike supported or upside down, hold the tyre/rim and try rocking it left and right whilst keeping the bars locked in place. you will feel some play if theyre damaged. alternatively, spin the wheel and hold the fork leg/swingarm and feel for any low frequency vibrations.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Russell160 wrote:
    I am not sure the model of the Hope hub: it's not a Pro, there's no etchings on it, black.

Is it definitely a Hope part?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    MrChuck wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:
    I am not sure the model of the Hope hub: it's not a Pro, there's no etchings on it, black.

Is it this?

hope%20bulb%20rear.jpg

Hope bulb, or maybe Hope XC
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MrChuck wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:

No markings the I would be very very surprised if it was a hope hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mfereborn wrote:
    with the bike supported or upside down, hold the tyre/rim and try rocking it left and right whilst keeping the bars locked in place. you will feel some play if theyre damaged. alternatively, spin the wheel and hold the fork leg/swingarm and feel for any low frequency vibrations.
    MrChuck wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:

Is it this?

hope%20bulb%20rear.jpg

Hope bulb, or maybe Hope XC

Yup, that's it. To clarify: it's got the Hope logo, just no additional etchings (unlike the evo) and its black.

mfereborn: Thanks for the top tips on testing, great that's what I need to know.