bike fix

cwm
cwm Posts: 177
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
most of my diy bike fettling takes me ages but i generally get there in the end,so i was in work yesterday morning when 1 of the guys asked if i could pop in his house on the way home to have a look at his bike as it was stuck in the big ring on the front and the brakes are rubbish.
when i got there and had a look it most certainly was stuck,not really sure about how the microshift? worked i slackened off the cable and everything started working apart from the chain rubbing on the front mech one hell of alot.Adjusted the mech which was way out of line and all was good but did notice that the h/l screws were both scuffed up badly and screwed in almost to their limit.
tried his brakes and both were rubbish,as he said,both levers almost touching the bars.when checking them i found both calipers were in the open position and when i tried to close them this couldnt be done as they had been set to work in the open position,looseend cable,closed calipers and adjusted brakes to work.
ok,it took me ages to sort it out for him but he was chuffed.
he had only ridden his boardman race the once since he picked it up from halfords and hadnt touched it since,thats how it came out of the store!!!!

not a pop at halfords on a whole as i have had some great service from the swansea and llanelli branches i have used in the past with c2w bikes but it doesnt do the company any favours when bikes are put together like that by their mechanics.
could have had some nasty results!!!!
now sharing my plods on
http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm

Comments

• Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Bought a Claud Butler MB from a cycle shop in Newcastle that will remain nameless...riding it home the back wheel fell off.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Friend popped round with his bike after a "reputable" LBS that only sells very high end bikes fitted a new chain and cassette - chain was too short and the cassette wasn't done up proper;y.

Another friend went to another LBS to have new cassette fitted: they did it up so tight that it didn't freewheel.

It doesn't matter where you buy stuff from/get it repaired, there can be muppets anywhere.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    had a reputable bike shop hear put a new set of forks on my commuter. They didn't take the powdercoat off the steerer, hammered the crown race on, used vice grips to get the headset spacers on and had it tight enough that I didn't realise until I got it home. They did man up and do the job right in the end though.
    FCN 12
  • Tony-J
    neiltb wrote:
    had a reputable bike shop hear put a new set of forks on my commuter. They didn't take the powdercoat off the steerer, hammered the crown race on, used vice grips to get the headset spacers on and had it tight enough that I didn't realise until I got it home. They did man up and do the job right in the end though.
    Aye..that's about right...you know these days I just price up the tools and do my own spannering, instead of letting pricey tools do my spannering for me.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • TrickyGB
    TrickyGB Posts: 81
    Tony-J wrote:
    Bought a Claud Butler MB from a cycle shop in Newcastle that will remain nameless...riding it home the back wheel fell off.

I live in newcastle, I'd be interested to know which one it was.......... :)
  • Tony-J
    TrickyGB wrote:
    Tony-J wrote:

The Edinburgh Cycle Collective, Cramlington branch now long gone. Brains too full of that kickyball game to pay attention maybe.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Tony-J wrote:
    TrickyGB wrote:
    Tony-J wrote:

The Edinburgh Cycle Collective, Cramlington branch now long gone. Brains too full of that kickyball game to pay attention maybe.

Ooh, that's a blast from the past, wasn't Edinburgh Cycle Collective, it was Hardisty Cycles. The shop became a linen store, is now 3G.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Edinburgh bicycle co op took over the old Hardisty cycles shop in Byker.
    should of used giantorangecannon