Are IBIS owners the new Orange owners?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well the frames would be lighter - wouldn't have a 'Made in England' sticker to weigh it down ;-)
  • Some people (on this forum) and others on other forums are complete 'think they know it all' and come across with a belittling attitude (thus making them cocks) because they 'think' they are funny or are being funny whereas in reality, regardless of the bike they ride, be it a full suss, carbon, titanium or regular Joe bike or whether they can ride or not, have the skills, don't have the skills etc....are the ones that other people on this forum (and other forums) seem to pander to and accept so they don't become the butt of these people's abuse, bullying or attempts at humour!... But to me, they are just plain cocks.... But as long as their attempts at humour are pleasing to them.. Happy days!...
  • supersonic
    Who exactly has been bullied or abused in this thread or any other? I think you are seeing things that are simply not there, and as for a belittling attitude, you were guilty of this in the 29er thread!

There has been some humour injected by a number of people, and maybe some 'in' jokes you might not have been aware of, (some posters are good friends off the forum) but it is interesting how people do perceive brands. I ride a GT. They get consistently slated. The difference is I don't really care!

However I think the majority of readers are a little tired of threads like these, so they tend to quickly break down into sterotypes and jokes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Who exactly has been bullied or abused in this thread or any other?

Me :cry:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    To be serious, I rarely see displays of looking down at other owners just because they own a brand or type of bike. I can't group owners like that. Sure we get some individuals who like to do that, but they own allsorts.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Who exactly has been bullied or abused in this thread or any other? I think you are seeing things that are simply not there, and as for a belittling attitude, you were guilty of this in the 29er thread!

There has been some humour injected by a number of people, and maybe some 'in' jokes you might not have been aware of, (some posters are good friends off the forum) but it is interesting how people do perceive brands. I ride a GT. They get consistently slated. The difference is I don't really care!

However I think the majority of readers are a little tired of threads like these, so they tend to quickly break down into stereotypes and jokes.

Supersonic, if you didn't see what abuse / bullying / belittling that I was on the receiving end of in the 29'er thread after asking a question, I would question whether you are blinkered to it or not?... So much so that I felt like it was a personal attack on me rather than just answering the question in hand... or not saying anything at all.

Can you give me an example of me belittling someone in the 29'er thread please?. I'm curious as to what precise section you are talking about.

If I 'feel' like I've been abused or bullied, then I have been abused or bullied.... It's not up for debate... If I made someone feel like they had been racially abused because I said they were coloured, then whether I was intentionally racially abusing them or not is completely irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that I offended someone, not that 30 other people weren't offended...
  • nferrar wrote:
    If someone buys an expensive bike it's because they want to not that they need to.
    Or because they could, you know, afford it.

Sad fact of the matter is that I've not got anything better to spend my money on... On the plus side, the only person I need to justify my expenditure to.... is me ;0)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    However I think the majority of readers are a little tired of threads like these, so they tend to quickly break down into sterotypes and jokes.
    This most definitely.
    It's all become very expensive and high tech, with some people being sneered at if they don't have the latest kit, which TBH, often cost more than I've ever paid for a car.
    Back in my teens (anyone here remember the 70's?) we just used to turn the bars on our racing bikes upside down and 'scramble'.
    Then went through a phase of getting small wheeled kids bikes and hammering them through the bush (South Africa). Basically BMX before it had been invented. Even used to chop the seatstays, bend them down and bolt them back onto the seat tube to resemble the lay down shocks starting to come out on motorcycles. Didn't do a lot for structural integrity but WTF.
    We had shedloads of fun.

It's a bicycle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Supersonic, if you didn't see what abuse / bullying / belittling that I was on the receiving end of in the 29'er thread after asking a question, I would question whether you are blinkered to it or not?

You went into that thread trollish, you acted trollish, and you- IMO- received exactly what I'd expect
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Supersonic, if you didn't see what abuse / bullying / belittling that I was on the receiving end of in the 29'er thread after asking a question, I would question whether you are blinkered to it or not?

You went into that thread trollish, you acted trollish, and you- IMO- received exactly what I'd expect

Thanks for the clarification... I now know where I went wrong!... although in my honest opinion, I was cool with it all until it became personal and at that point I thought... What a load of p*****s!....
  • supersonic
    I don't read every single post of every thread: and this is why we have a reporting button (you can flag a post). Then ALL the mods and admin can look into it.

There is no doubt that translation gets lost in threads and posts - of course it does, the person you are addressing is not sat in front of you. It makes judgement somewhat harder. Is easy to misread.

Anyway: Transition owners?!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Anyway: Transition owners?!

The two that I have met have been really nice....

Both Covert owners and stopped to chat, they seemed to rate their bikes and were personable enough... Although if I were picking holes.... Why no head badge?....
  • supersonic
    Well if I owned one, I would remove the head badge too...

That was a joke of course!

The riders I like most are definitely the ones that stop and chat. I love speaking to riders when out, discussing riding and bikes - whether it cost 100 quid or 10000 quid.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nferrar wrote:
    If someone buys an expensive bike it's because they want to not that they need to.
    Or because they could, you know, afford it.

Sad fact of the matter is that I've not got anything better to spend my money on... On the plus side, the only person I need to justify my expenditure to.... is me ;0)
    That's pretty much the definition of "can afford it", no?
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    The riders I like most are definitely the ones that stop and chat. I love speaking to riders when out, discussing riding and bikes - whether it cost 100 quid or 10000 quid.

+1
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    Well if I owned one, I would remove the head badge too...

That was a joke of course!

Thats because moutnain bikers are all gossip queens, we all know we are :P just like we all love a good B@~ch :p
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Eranu wrote:

+1

+2

I love chatting and getting trail reviews. Never spoke to any one about a bike though apart from once when I stopped a guy on a Canyon to see if he was happy before purchasing mine!
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • +3...

Contrary to what has been said, I like asking people about how their SB66 / Transition / Tracer 2 / Nicolai / Insert other bike name rides...

Believe it or not, I would hate to be labelled as a pretentious 'know it all' tw&t that wouldn't want to have a conversation with another rider...

I chatted to some guy on an Intense Uzzi at Swinley and he knew it all, not in a patronising manner, but f*ck a duck, everywhere I'd been, he'd been there twice or 10 times and was very engaging with his views... Nice to find riders that want to talk bikes, regardless of what bike you / or I are riding.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I like asking people about how their SB66 / Transition / Tracer 2 / Nicolai / Insert other bike name rides...

I like throwing bread to the peasants too! I ask people on Apollos if they've ever met anyone famous.
    know it all

Don't worry, no danger of that.

My favourite bit was when you set up a moan thread about a new fashionable type of mountain bike, when you too ride a new, fashionable type of mountain bike. I can't wait for all these 160mm light trail bikes to go out of fashion, rather than having it rammed down my throat every time I open a magazine!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Toasty wrote:
    I like asking people about how their SB66 / Transition / Tracer 2 / Nicolai / Insert other bike name rides...

I like throwing bread to the peasants too! I ask people on Apollos if they've ever met anyone famous.
    know it all

My favourite bit was when you set up a moan thread about a new fashionable type of mountain bike, when you too ride a new, fashionable type of mountain bike. I can't wait for all these 160mm light trail bikes to go out of fashion, rather than having it rammed down my throat every time I open a magazine!

the whole how much travel do you need argument is pointless, ride what you want and who gives a toss what an advert says (says a student currently doing a module in advertising...) at the end of the day, these adverts are designed for one thing, to sell things, whether you buy into that or not is up to you, but if people didn't buy, there would be a hell of alot less bike manufacturers out there, their survival can hinge on how they follow the latest kit, so it makes sense for them to follow, or face the prospect of losing huge sales... 29er's are being marketed far more aggressively than mid-long travel trail bikes ever were or are marketed.

Whilst I agree one man's holy grail is another's worst nightmare, there are many like-minded people out there who think the same bike is right for them, if they didn't, you'd never see two of the same bike anywhere, what ticks me off is when people jump on the slagging off this or that band wagon, just ride what you want and leave the other bikes to people who want to ride them!
  • Thewaylander
    Toasty wrote:

know it all

nah we are going to take over and get rid of you scary wierd weight weenies :p
  • toasty
    edited March 2012
    lawman wrote:
    the whole how much travel do you need argument is pointless, ride what you want and who gives a toss what an advert says (says a student currently doing a module in advertising...) at the end of the day, these adverts are designed for one thing, to sell things, whether you buy into that or not is up to you, but if people didn't buy, there would be a hell of alot less bike manufacturers out there, their survival can hinge on how they follow the latest kit, so it makes sense for them to follow, or face the prospect of losing huge sales...

I was going to quote just the first bit, but somehow it ended up being a monster paragraph rant. I know, I was almost word for word quoting his rant about 29ers :P

Damn, a student doing a module in advertising has spoken. Argument over guys, it's ok, we've got the answer!

Magazines review them because they're new and it sells issues, I've seen a dozen reviews of a Giant Reign, or a Fuel Ex, can't say I'd buy a magazine to add another to the pile. Complex stuff this advertising.
  • toasty

I'm the first ever Commencal Meta weight weenie :P
  • Thewaylander
    Toasty wrote:

I'm the first ever Commencal Meta weight weenie :P

yeh its on 5.5" thats just tiny, no one can join our club unless you go on the whole 160 route, otherwise your a weight weeny ;)
  • lawman
    Toasty wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    the whole how much travel do you need argument is pointless, ride what you want and who gives a toss what an advert says (says a student currently doing a module in advertising...) at the end of the day, these adverts are designed for one thing, to sell things, whether you buy into that or not is up to you, but if people didn't buy, there would be a hell of alot less bike manufacturers out there, their survival can hinge on how they follow the latest kit, so it makes sense for them to follow, or face the prospect of losing huge sales...

I was going to quote just the first bit, but somehow it ended up being a monster paragraph rant. I know, I was almost word for word quoting his rant about 29ers :P

Damn, a student doing a module in advertising has spoken. Argument over guys, it's ok, we've got the answer!

Magazines review them because they're new and it sells issues, I've seen a dozen reviews of a Giant Reign, or a Fuel Ex, can't say I'd buy a magazine to add another to the pile. Complex stuff this advertising.

I was being ironic... the fact I'm doing a module and maybe looking for a job in advertising despite the fact it is utter nonsense... Marketing is indeed very complex, even more so in the bike industry than many others, as we have so many niches and niches within niches and then niches within those niches and so on and so forth. I'm by no means an expert on marketing, but I find it interesting to see what the industry is trying to flog to us, and how some products get massive marketing clout behind them, only to flop completely, shimano dual control for example, where as others such as the maverick speedball was way ahead of its time and took years to take off, now its hard to find people who haven't used one or thought about it. Had the speedball been marketed as well and aggressively as dual control or the latest suspension tech, I dare say people would have got the idea sooner.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Nice to find riders that want to talk bikes, regardless of what bike you / or I are riding.

Yep, I think that's a great part of the whole sport fun thingy.

On another note, these past few weeks I've been craving a Mojo HD, even been looking into getting a demo. I blame Lawman solely for this. You going on about it endlessly has evidently driven me mad, it is a lovely bike you've got though :lol:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    To be serious, I rarely see displays of looking down at other owners just because they own a brand or type of bike.
    this is true, in fact he really loves the spesh hardrock, he just pretends he doesn't :wink::lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • lawman
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Nice to find riders that want to talk bikes, regardless of what bike you / or I are riding.

Yep, I think that's a great part of the whole sport fun thingy.

On another note, these past few weeks I've been craving a Mojo HD, even been looking into getting a demo. I blame Lawman solely for this. You going on about it endlessly has evidently driven me mad, it is a lovely bike you've got though :lol:

Hehehehe :lol: Biketart have one if you ask them nicely, and if I remember rightly there should be a demo at rutland water in about may time, shit trails but atleast you get to ride a whole range of bikes :)
  • Toasty wrote:

know it all

Why would I be interested in asking how an Apollo rides?.... I have nothing against them, but would I be interested in hearing how a Giant / Trek / GT (no disrespect Supersonic) rides when I'm only interested in the niche / higher end of the scale of bikes with longer travel and lighter materials?.... I don't look down on those people, I just don't give a sh*t how their bike rides... As I'm sure you would with a 'insert bike name that you would never buy'

It wasn't a post moaning about a new fashionable type of mountain bike, the clue to the post was in the opening statement about it being (in my opinion) being rammed down my throat.... It had nothing to do with slating 29'ers it had everything to do with it being in Dirt Magazine, in MBR, in WMB, in MBUK, Bike Magic, Bike Radar etc etc etc.... Why is it that you are taking my post out of context?... surely you are just trying to prolong a debate, and attempt to turn it into an argument thus making YOU the new Orange owner!....

An Ibis Mojo has been out for 2-3 years, an HD is just a longer travel version.... How is it a.) New b.) Fashionable when I see everyman and his dog riding anything BUT an Ibis?....

160mm being new and fashionable?.... I had an Intense 6.6 for 3 years with 6.7" of travel.... is this still classed as new and fashionable?... Do you live in Cornwall or somewhere that is 3-5 years behind?...

I think you need to re-read the original post and grow up a little before you comment in the way that you have.
  • toasty
    Put two and two together possibly? They're being rammed down your throat because they're in fashion, much like 150-160mm trail bikes, new MBR just dropped through the door today actually, 150mm carbon trail bikes. Longer travel, lighter, stiffer than ever before!

There was hardcore hardtails briefly, 120mm full sus for a year or so, now everyone wants a 150-160mm carbon trail bike. This doesn't mean hardcore hardtails didnt exist before 3 years or so ago, it just means you see more reviews. 29ers haven't JUST been invented, they're being rammed down your throat because they're selling.
    I'm only interested in the niche / higher end of the scale of bikes with longer travel and lighter materials?

Haha, you tell yourself that, tragically you'd get BETTER carbon/aluminium construction with Trek/Giant etc, for less money. Mojos are lovely bikes, I've owned 2, they're just bike frames though, heavier than carbon Remedys/Stumpjumper Evos etc. You pay a lot for the brand/looks, not for space carbon that no other company has access to.

I sold my Mojo as the Meta was more fun, you should talk to the paupers on the cheap bikes, they might actually ride better than yours does.
    surely you are just trying to prolong a debate, and attempt to turn it into an argument
    IBISMojoHDamon

Most active topic:
    20 Feckin Niners!....
    (32 Posts / 35.96% of user’s posts)

Awesome.

The thing I liked in that other thread, you wanted to hear more about expensive boutique carbon bikes, because they're the "next chapter in mountain biking", but NOT about 29ers. I'd be interested to see a poll, of which is more revolutionary at the moment. Knocking 200g off 160mm bikes, or a new bigger wheel standard. Go try one, you might find you were wrong? They're not as jumpy as smaller wheels, bit aside from that they're awesome fun.