Cube acid upgrade potential

Cubist
Cubist Posts: 73
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all. 1st post on here! Have been riding a 2012 model cube acid since september 2011 and Im having the time of my life! Until its purchase Id had a ten year period away from cycling and the Acid has proven to be a very forgiving and patient steed. My riding standard is getting stronger by the week.
To cut to the chase, Id just like opinions on how upgradeable this bike is, how worth my while upgrading it would be as opposed to just getting a new bike in a year or so.
Is the frame of the acid well-thought-of enough for me to keep and then, as parts wear, get the next level up to replace them. My Acid cost me just over 750 quid - is it worth splashing out on a £500+ fork upgrade later down the line? I'll shut up now and await the wisdom of the forum.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's quite an upgrade - what forks were you considering.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cubist
    cooldad wrote:
    That's quite an upgrade - what forks were you considering.

It was kind of hypothetical and testing the water. Im trying to gauge just how worthwhile installing, say, a set of SIDs would be onto the acids frame. As opposed to just buying a fresh new bike. I suppose that, as a new poster on here, im just trying to figure out if the bike ive bought is considered to be any good and also get a few suggestions as to how i can make it better. Is the acids frame a good un?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent bike, but a set of Rebas for £200 odd would make more sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Completely agree - grt frame so well worth sticking some reba's on.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • Cubist
    Thanks guys. Reba's certainly get a lot of love in the reviews Ive read. Thats very likely the way I'll go.
    Do we reckon the more expensive forks are more appropriate for lighter and more exotic frames than that found on a sub-£800 bike, or is it more a case of the reba's being plenty good enough for me at my level?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    What fork is currently on there?

I've not used a more expensive set of forks than the Rebas so I can't comment specifically on that. I love them though, they are ace. Very good adjustability and they are really effective once dialled in. Reasons you might want something else on a similar geometry/purpose bike to yours include (but are not limited to):

If you were really really concerned about saving the maximum amount of weight possible - then you'd get SIDs or something equivalent by another manufacturer.

If you had a really expensive/exotic frame and other gubbins.

If you favour Fox/another brand over RS - lots of folk do (and vice versa!).

If you want something different.

If you have lots and lots of money.

Plus probably a heap of other reasons too!
  • Cubist
    The current fork is a Recon Silver, which is ok, but has limits. My original post was basically trying to ascertain whether the best way forward was to take the "Triggers broom" approach and just upgrade and upgrade until its virtually a different bike, or to buy some modest upgrades for my Acid and, down the line, buy a complete bike with much better spec.
    A lot of my fondness for the Acids frame comes from its availability in 14". Im short and stocky and built like a cube myself (excuse the pun!) so I benefit from the standover height it affords. Guess Ive just gotten very attached - its certainly saved my nuts from a good mangling a few times!!!
  • EH_Rob
    I have a Cannondale SL3 which sits at a pretty similar price and spec point to your bike, and found 120mm Rebas to be an excellent upgrade. I think going absolutely crazy and upgrading everything massively is a bit over the top (for me anyway), but it's definitely worth spending a bit to upgrade from Recon to Reba, you'll really notice the difference.

That isn't to say a more expensive fork wouldn't be more amazing (I guess), but for me was probably money best saved than spent (to go towards a new bike when I'm ready). You might be different though, and it depends how cheap you can get Rebas - mine were £225 from Merlin. There may be some other good deals on other options...
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Do you think you might end up wanting a full sus? I had a Cube Race LTD which I had in the back of my mind as good for upgrading (though it was plenty good enough for me as stock, had Reba forks for instance). Ended up getting a different bike and selling the Cube.
  • EH_Rob
    I presume you're asking the OP but I'll stick my nose in anyway!

I would quite like an FS at some point, but I've no plans to sell my HT to get one.

When I do it'll probably be a Canyon.
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I was, but hey, it's a free forum.

I planned to run an FS and a hard tail too, until the first hill I went up on my SB-66. Realised then that the Cube was going to be spending too much time in the shed to be worth keeping.