Replacing Forks Spec Problems

Hacker60
Hacker60 Posts: 73
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Need some expert help,....

I have a 2007/8 Spesh XC FSR - It's had everything upgraded except Shock (nightmare) which
I sent to X-Fusion and got a full refurb for £94.00 so that's works as New and I can live with that.

The Forks are Judy J3 SL Coil Sprung, and they pretty much work ok, but there just not
man enough for the job, they have 100m travel, but they don't really lock-out anymore
and the rebound/damping adjustment it a bit crude. So I want to replace the Fork with
something a lot better maybe with adjustable travel, about £300 to spend and don't mind
good used set. I ride single track XC and some amature downhill, I plan to upgrade to a
higher spec next year, but until then I have a lot of riding to do.

My problem is I bought the bike second hand and don't know the spec of the Forks,
ie: 210mm (measured top to crown) Tapered 1.5” to 1 1/8” Steer Tube, that sort of info: Can anyone help.

As the bike bike is old there's no current listing .
Scott Scale 60 - Stock
Spesh FSRXC - Custom

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very useful site - http://www.bikepedia.com/

You need to be a bit more specific with the model but possibly this one:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

So doubt the Judys were fitted new.

They will be 1 1/8 straight steerer. Measure the existing one for length. 100mm travel

For £300 you could get a nice set of Rebas. Adjustable travel is a bit pointless on a 100mm XC bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hacker60
    Thanks Dad,

Found the model re Spec: All listed is: 1 1/8" (threaded headset) regarding length, my
    steerer is around 195mm so as long as I don't buy anything shorter, is that ok ? Can I go for another 20mm
    travel without upsetting things to much ? Or what problems will it cause.
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hacker60 wrote:
    Thanks Dad,

Found the model re Spec: All listed is: 1 1/8" (threaded headset) regarding length, my
    steerer is around 195mm so as long as I don't buy anything shorter, is that ok ? Can I go for another 20mm
    I would be vey surprised I it was a threaded headset.

Longer is better than shorter as adding metal is not easy.

If it really is threaded it needs to be exactly the same length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Hacker60 wrote:
    Thanks Dad,

No it isn't, the one I linked to is listed as
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Recon 335, 100mm
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Steel loose ball
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Unless it's a 2006, then Ben's link. Either way makes no difference to what will fit. 100mm forks with a long enough steerer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hacker60
    Ben, your link is the one, what's the recommend fork then, Rockshox or Fox, there do seem to be a lot
    of Fox around looking on e-Bay now, Air or Coil what's the difference ?
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • benpinnick
    Air will be fine for your usage - lighter than coil and easier to tune to suit you. F100/120s would suit - even better if you can find a FIT cartidge one. Personally I would get these:

http://www.actionsports.de/de/Komponent ... 9ea7134291. Even better if you could find a 120 set for around the same price.

Or maybe look around for something in 120mm such as the Reba RLs from Merlin.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Hacker60
    Thanks Dad and Ben Looking now for a set now, think a will wait unitl next months pay
    and stretch to those SID RLT's the spec looks great but the Reba RL's is also great,
    think I'll buy new and see who can offer me the best deal I tink £400 should do it.

Fitting looks pretty easy, is there anything especially stupid I should be
    aware of before I start, like a special tool I might need ? Any do's or don't of Fork Fitting.
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • benpinnick
    Theres probably an FAQ for fitting them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I bought a rockshox revelation rlt 140mm 2011 for £300 delivered. Absolute bargain.
  • Hacker60
    Well, just been in the Garage to check some measurements, my Scott has 100mm Travel Solo Air,
    and was just comparing them with my Spesh Forks and looks like the Spesh has 120mm, but I thought
    they were 100mm as well, since the Factory Spec details say the bike came with 100's, but
    they were made with 80, 100 and 120 so maybe it was bought with 120mm as an upgrade.

Won't 140mm mess-up the geometry ? although as I'm not a hardcore rider would it make any real
    difference to me, or would the bike be unstable in ome way ?
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't go to 140
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Did you measure the legs or the actual travel? Chances are they all shared the same chassis, so the forks might look 120 but be 100mm, either way, I would probably not go over 120 on that bike.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forget travel - it's a meaningless number when it comes to geometry, use the axle to crown distance.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    Hacker

I've recently upgraded my Spesh Rockhopper 2009 to Fox 32 Float RLC F120 from 100mm forks. I emailed Spesh and they confirmed I could go to 120mm without any effect on the geometry or handling. Its worth an email.
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You can always space them down to 120
  • Hacker60
    Thanks for the last few posts boys, just seen a set of Rebas in the Classifieds, what do you recon

5-3-2012 (Page 2) CLEAROUT

Rock shox reba SL (used) £170

X9 bottom pull front mech (used) £15

M770 front mech (used) £10

Fireeye bloodshot Frame (new) £40

Pics - http://sram666.pinkbike.com/buysell/
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • benpinnick
    I reckon I sold a brand new set off of a Cube (so technically second hand but never used) for £200 recently, and I fitted them for the chap too. So £170 sounds a little steep. Merlin have been known to punt them out new (OEM) for £220.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ianrams wrote:
    I could go to 120mm without any effect on the geometry .
    You can't change the axle to crown distance without changing geometry! what baloney!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hacker60
    Cheers Ben, looking now ATB
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • Hacker60
    Found a set of Fox Talas RLC 80-130 from Classifieds - Fitted and they are superb, smooth
    as slik, using them at around 120mm almost all the time, almost "too" adjustable.

The bike still feels fine balance wise, even when at 130mm. Thanks for all the tips.
    I will get some new pics up soon.
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom