How do I adjust the gears on my bike?

Beej_21
Beej_21 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey I'm new to the forum. I was wondering how to re-set or align my front 3 gears on my marin b17 properly as its stuck on the middle cog and refused to change up or down! Any help with this is much appreciated! cheers :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need a new cable.

How tos on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah, perhaps! Where could I pick one up? evans cycles maybe?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The link in Nicklouses sig. All online.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost any bike shop, Wilkinsons supermarkets sell the inner cables dirt cheap....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aaah bit slow, I though you meant a book. Evans, Halfords sell Clarkes which are pretty decent - stainless, or fancier ones with XTR type outers and sealed endcaps for £10 a pair.
    Disconnect the cable and see if the mech moves freely by hand, if it does it's most likely cables, romote chance it's the shifter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Just a personal thing but I avoid cycle shops when it comes to gear/brake cables and visit places like Wilkinsons, my local car part place who also sell bike parts for a fraction of the cost they would be in a 'proper' bike shop. Been doing that for years with no problems. Sure they tend to lack support but replacing a cable is something everyone should learn, along with punctures, brake alignment.