Best Mudguards for Pompetamine?

DrLex
DrLex Posts: 2,142
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Just wondering whether anyone has any experiences in fitting & use? Just picked one up for winter commuting.

Bike is the alfine 11 version, so rear wheel clearance / quick removal is of particular interest. I also plan to mount a rear light on the back mudguard, as the front hub is a dynamo one.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I use sks chromoplastics on mine - fit well but a couple of tricks for you:
    a) sks front guards come with quick release stays (pop off in case something jams). If you buy an extra pair of these stays then you can use them on the back too (sold seperately). This means you can just pop the rear guard off to free the rear wheel.
    b) the front disc brake caliper gets in the way of one of the front stays. I dealt with this by mounting the stay to one of the caliper mounting bolts (needed to use a longer bolt) rather than to the normal mudguard mount. Obviously you need to trim that stay more than the other one
    Make sense?
    Cheers,
    J
  • DrLex
    Thanks, jedster. I assume that with your comment about using quick release front mounts on the rear, you didn't bother with fixing to the seatstay, just the clip to the chainstay bridge?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Jedster,
    those look like good tips! any chance of a photo or 2 showing how you attached the 'guards for Mr Kluts here?
    cheers
  • jedster
    DrLex,

no actually, they are fixes to seat stay and chain stay, the bit that unclips is at the braze on near the drop out. You only need to unclip this to lift the back of the guard and pull the wheel backwards out of the slot drop out.

bobinski,
    I'll see what I can do. Course I'll have to get the hang of posting a pic...
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I used SKS chromplastics too. To fix the front guard I used the probably less elegant solution of simply bending the stay around the brake caliper (the stays a re a bit longer than they need to be and usually need trimming so there is enough length to accommodate the bends).

I found the rear guard pretty tricky as the frame doesn't have the usual fixing points. For the bottom of the stay I used a zip tie and for the top fixing point I drilled a hole in the guard and screwed it into the bit of the frame over the rear fork. Sounds like a bodge job but it looks pretty neat now it's on! Will post some pics later.

I use the same trick with the secu-clips on the rear.
  • godders1
    Pics as promised:

Front guard stay:

DSC05736.jpg

And another:

DSC05737.jpg

On the first pic you might be able to see a small worn patch on the caliper mount part of the fork. Make sure the stay isn't in contact with any part of the fork or brake caliper!

Whole front guard:

DSC05738.jpg

Rear guard lower fitting:

DSC05731.jpg

Rear guard upper fitting (red line shows where screw is, can't remember the size, either M5 or M4 and needs to have a fairly flat head so it clears the tyre):

DSC05732-1.jpg

Rear guard:

DSC05733.jpg

A pic of the whole bike is in my sig below.
  • DrLex
    Godders1,
    Those pics are great; thank you. I bought a set of SKS Bluemels, which look a very similar fit, so that's the weekend job.
  • godders1
    No worries, good luck!
  • bobinski
    Thanks Godders1!
    Really very helpful.
    cheers
  • DrLex
    Since this thread has the attention of a few Alfine owners, has anyone done their own hub oil change? I see that Shimano (via Madison) ask an unfeasibly large amount of money for a syringe, pot & 50ml oil. Tempted to get a can of Auto Transmission Fluid & make do- anyone regret a D.I.Y./ghetto approach?
  • bobinski
    No, but someone has posted about doing this on the Cyclechat forums. I dont have a link to hand but a google search might be successful
  • jedster
    Nice one Godders - now I dont need to post pics. My set up is exactly the same on the rear (BTW I think the preferred solution when fitting guards to most bikes is to drill the guard to fit to the seat stay bridge , just as you did). The bent front stay is surprisingly neat. I just fitted mine to the top of the two brake caliper mounts - best seen in the first pic - used a longer bolt and put it through the guard stay then the brake.

Oh and I've not tried to change the oil (only had the bike 5 months) but frankly I'll probably let the LBS do that. Them hubs aren't cheap...
  • godders1
    Ah right, the other two bikes I've fitted guards to had a screw that accommodated the semi-circular clip thing that slides over the rear guard (meaning you don't have to drill through it). I guess it is pretty obvious that the threaded hole on the Pomp frame is to accommodate a mudguard!

Mine's only a few months old so no experience with changing oil yet here either (and mine's the 8 speed so procedurally a bit different anyway I think).
  • DrLex
    Right; done! Rather than bend the front stay vertically above the disc brake, I bent it laterally over it, so from side on, the stays look straight. I confess that the back one has been secured on chainstay bridge and seat stay fork with zip ties, as I couldn't be bothered to remove the wheel.

Found the guy on cyclechat offering a kit comprised of a brace of syringes, tubes & bleed nut for a reasonable price, so will sort out an oil change later on. Half tempted by the Rohloff oil kit, as it has a cleaner rather than the flush/refill of the same Shimano oil.

One test ride later, toe strike took out a plastic lower stay end cover on the front 'guard, but no other problems. Will just have to watch the crank angle when making tight turns.