Durham - Richmond - Skipton

getprg
getprg Posts: 245
I have an opportunity for a one way ride from Durham to Skipton and need some local advice for the Durham to Richmond part of the route.

I've mapped a route here http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71547906

I'm ok with the route from Richmond to Skipton via Park Rash (down not up!) but my knowledge of roads from Durham to Richmond is sketchy. The bits I'm especially nervous about are the A167 dual carriageway out of Durham south of Nevilles Cross. Also the B6275 from Shildon via Piercebridge to Aldbrough St John - this used to be fairly quiet in my youth but as an ex Roman Road is probably very fast now.

Do local riders have any advice or suggestions? I'd prefer it if alternatives didn't add too much mileage as my timings are quite tight.

Thanks.

Comments

• gtsteve
    gtsteve Posts: 1
    getprg wrote:
    I have an opportunity for a one way ride from Durham to Skipton and need some local advice for the Durham to Richmond part of the route.

I've mapped a route here http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/71547906

I'm ok with the route from Richmond to Skipton via Park Rash (down not up!) but my knowledge of roads from Durham to Richmond is sketchy. The bits I'm especially nervous about are the A167 dual carriageway out of Durham south of Nevilles Cross. Also the B6275 from Shildon via Piercebridge to Aldbrough St John - this used to be fairly quiet in my youth but as an ex Roman Road is probably very fast now.

Do local riders have any advice or suggestions? I'd prefer it if alternatives didn't add too much mileage as my timings are quite tight.

Thanks.

Not sure about the dual carriage way part but you are correct the roman road is a fast road. Its part of my commute (piercebridge to barton) and there are lots of lorrys going 60+ not to mention th dickhead car drivers who use their full beam! Quite scary in the dark when they go past about a foot away.
  • getprg
    Thanks for info gts - at least I'm reassured that someone else rides that road fairly regularly!

I do a fair amount of commuting and training on busy roads but avoid them whenever there is a convenient alternative. Sounds like that may not be an option from Shildon south - I'll just have to take care at the right turn to Aldbrough

Now any anybody suggest an alternative escape route to the A167 from Durham?
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    My route from Durham to Shildon (by car) is fairly quiet.
    If you go straight over at Nevilles Cross out of Durham, towards Crook on the A690, after a couple of miles there's a left turn at Brancepeth onto a quiet road (marked Whitworth Lane on Google Maps, turns into Whitworth Rd at the other end) that takes you across to Spennymoor. It's not busy, Then you can rejoin your planned route, which does look like the best option for the Spen to Shildon leg.

Neville's Cross-Spennymoor via my route would be 8.5m/ 442ft of ascent (in 2 climbs),/ 411ft of descent, as opposed to your 6.75m/351ft/275ft, so hopefully not too much further/harder?

You can view Whitworth Lane on street level google, see what you think.

All the best for the ride
    DD
  • getprg
    Thanks DD

Sorry for slow reply - been away to London for the weekend on a family commitment.

I will definitely use your suggested detour. Thanks for calculating the extra mileage and elevation changes - you are a star - I can def manage an extra 1.75 miles and 100ish ft vertical

You are so lucky to work in such a beautiful place as Durham.

Cheers (from an ex Co Durhamer)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    very nice route you've got there, with some testing little climbs out of richmond and wensley, hope it goes well and weather is on your side
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    getprg wrote:
    Thanks DD

You are so lucky to work in such a beautiful place as Durham.

Cheers (from an ex Co Durhamer)
    You're welcome,
    Unfortunately, I have to drive for an hour up to Newcastle to work (train would be 10 minutes, but there are 2 of us = twice the price :( )

I am lucky enough to live here though, and there is some great riding to be had, both on and off road.

+1 for good weather wishes