Rider weight - Equipment Selection

Donatello
Donatello Posts: 20
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I was just sitting looking at some bikes and wondered how the weight of a rider would affect the choice of bike/equipment?

I am getting into biking to get fit and also as a new hobby since playing football just isn't as fun as it used to be. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 17 1/2 stone (not good, heaviest ever and prompted this kick up the arse!).

How should my size/weight affect my choice of bike? (Obviously with the exclusion of frame size as that is no doubt down to personal choices)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really but will effect maintanence intervals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just need to get some strong wheels and you might want to get decent brakes as well as you'll need something with plenty power. There's a big guy on another forum who recently got into mountain biking. When the brakes on his rockhopper didn't stop him as fast as he would have liked (just escaped what could have been a pretty bad accident) he upgraded them. He was heavier than you though, not sure if he still is mind. I'm about 16st and I seem to have to replace a spoke every week on my commuter bike, the wheels on my enduro didn't last very long either.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Just need to get some strong wheels and you might want to get decent brakes as well as you'll need something with plenty power. There's a big guy on another forum who recently got into mountain biking. When the brakes on his rockhopper didn't stop him as fast as he would have liked (just escaped what could have been a pretty bad accident) he upgraded them. He was heavier than you though, not sure if he still is mind. I'm about 16st and I seem to have to replace a spoke every week on my commuter bike, the wheels on my enduro didn't last very long either.

with your spokes often when the first one "pings" if it does sharply it can effect all the other spokes and weaken them, this can lead to your wheel needing to rebuilt.

House mate had 1 go, then it was 1 a week, so he just bought all new spokes had the wheel rebuilt and it was job done :)
  • I was heavier than you when I started back on my MTB (115kg). The comments about wheels and brakes are very valid. As is the need for a decent tyre with good pressures in it. You will also need to look carefully at any suspension products as some air ones don't cater for the larger rider. Seat posts and saddle rails are also things to consider. You will be putting these under greater strain so go for good quality. (I had Thomson and steel railed Charge Spoon)

I ran (and still do, even though I'm now 98kg) Mavic EN521 on Hope hubs on both of the bikes, had absolutely no issues whatsoever despite Coed-y-brenin trips/jumps/drops etc. Tend to run my tyres at 40-45 psi depending on their carcass size (winter and summer are different).

It's just a case of being a bit smarter with what you buy rather than going light/budget.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • oodboo
    with your spokes often when the first one "pings" if it does sharply it can effect all the other spokes and weaken them, this can lead to your wheel needing to rebuilt.

House mate had 1 go, then it was 1 a week, so he just bought all new spokes had the wheel rebuilt and it was job done :)

Yeah, the wheel needs a full re-build, just haven't got round to it yet. Spokes I can do for 80p each, re-build is a job for the LBS. Going to wait until I can upgrade the hub at the same time.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hmm. Rider weight can sometimes make a difference.
    Marin's old quad-link bikes operated a very high leverage suspension design, which meant that even for average weight riders, the rear shock was often at exceptionally high pressures.
    A heavy rider may well need the shock pressurised beyond it's recommended rating.
  • i was at 95kg and bust the wheels that came with my Canyon XC (max rating on those hubs were 90kg - found out after the fact) ......went with superstar hubs and crest rims and everything has been fine since.....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Generally, most mtbs and parts are so well made these days that there isn't really a max rider weight. As others have said, make sure you get a sturdy wheelset and some larger brake rotors and you're good to go. Obviously you'll want to play with tyre pressures and the spring/air in your fork/shock, but that's a given for any rider.

Happy riding :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Donatello
    Donatello Posts: 20
    Ok thanks for the info guys...

What do we think of this then? I'm happy going 2nd hand as I feel I would get more for my modest budget, but will this cope for a little while until I can upgrade parts?

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12838836
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I was North of 150kg (now "only" 116kg) when I started MTBing again. At the price range I was looking at my LBS said everything would basically be OK. My Trek 4500 came with (admittedly heavy, but) bombproof wheels and they've been fine. I got pinch puntures running around 25-30psi so now run 45psi+ and don't have any major issues, other than thinking I'm going to lose teeth with the vibrations! The only major issue I have is that I have to tighten my seatpost with an allen key as on the QR is slips down occassionally after half an hour or so of rough riding.

I plan to lose a bit more weight before I get a full-susser, but my hardtail has been perfectly OK.
  • oodboo
    Donatello wrote:
    Ok thanks for the info guys...

What do we think of this then? I'm happy going 2nd hand as I feel I would get more for my modest budget, but will this cope for a little while until I can upgrade parts?

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12838836

That should get you started ok.

You could also look out for a Kona Hoss.

Strava