Kenda Slant 6...

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
...looks like certain death. Anyone using these? I've been curious to try one for a while, thinking it was a halfway house between the smallblock 8 and nevegal but the knobs seem even less knobby than the SB. Should I leave it til the heady weekend of summer?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Planning on trying these in summer myself, I figure I like the Nevegal and SM8 (obviously in different situations) so why not try a combo.
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I've been running a Slant 6 on the back of my full sus for about 6 months now. I run a smallblock 8 in the summer and bought this for a bit of extra grip when it started getting too muddy for the smallblock. I didnt expect to run it all winter, but I have. Its not great in mud but its a nice fast tyre and its done me ok so far. I'm planning on running it up front in the summer with the samllblock on the back.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cool, ta... Fitted it last night, still looks like a slick that someone's drawn knobbles on with a marker pen but we'll see how it goes :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Noticed these in this months Singletrack mag- got a really good review- surprisingly good for what looks like a summer tyre apparently.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Just ordered 2 for summer back tyres for the Trance & the DMR.

Went for 2.35" Stick E, so I think I may well have completely cancelled the fast rolling tread with the width & sticky compound - Doh!!

Will be interesting to hear anyone's experiences.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Looks like it should be fast rolling but with slightly larger side knobs than the SB8. Personally I love SB8's, been running one on the rear all through the winter, I've got very used to it, unless its super gloppy horid mud and I'm trying to pedal uphill through it it's coped admirably.

Last summer I did find the SB8 up front a bit limiting though, might give one of these a go.
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Had pretty much this winters muddiest ride last night in deepest darkest swampy Rivington, with the slant 6 on the back. Conditions certainly way beyond what I intended to run it in. Happy to say that although I was getting a fair bit of spinning in the mud, there was always a bit of bite left so I was never left spinning with completely no traction, and every time I checked to see how clogged up it was, the mud had cleared pretty well from the tread. The nobbles are not big enough for those wanting an XC winter mud plugger, but for occasional mud and trail centre type use, it’s good. When things start to firm up in the summer, I think this tyre will get better.