Removing decals.

thespanishadam
thespanishadam Posts: 341
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I'm looking to remove a few decals/stickers from my Van Nic Chinook frame.. What is the best way to remove them?.

I've given it a quick go and they seem pretty well stuck!

Comments

• kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    use a hair dryer to heat them up a bit first. that worked on my mini I used to have anyway!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ask Ezy Rider, his decals never even appeared.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    a plastic scraper sometimes works.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Acetone and elbow grease!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    It depends... if they have a laquer coating, you better leave them where they are, if not, they're just stickers and any of the methods above is valid
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Hair dryer as above - it heats the glue behind and you just peel them straight off. Heat the stickers up quite a lot and they will shrivel up and come off in one as opposed to lots of little bits.

You can also use a heat gun but that's getting a bit serious.
  • It looks like hair dryer it is then... certainly not part of the tool kit.
  • I used acetone based nail varnish remover on my VN Euros decals. Worked a treat with a little elbow grease
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    WD40 will get the excess adhesive off afterwards
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Ask Ezy Rider, his decals never even appeared.

Superb! :D
  • I used acetone based nail varnish remover on my VN Euros decals. Worked a treat with a little elbow grease

That's what I went with along with a hair dryer, really impressed how it looks.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove fine scratch from titanium?. I was thinking wire wool or something less abrasive?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I used acetone based nail varnish remover on my VN Euros decals. Worked a treat with a little elbow grease

That's what I went with along with a hair dryer, really impressed how it looks.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove fine scratch from titanium?. I was thinking wire wool or something less abrasive?

Scotchbrite pad?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    toothpaste - works for DVDs
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Scotch-brite red.