Recommended shoes

willo78
willo78 Posts: 43
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I have started to cycle to and from work every day, 20 miles a day, mostly through country lanes. Anyway, I have a boardman team hybrid bike, I was wondering what bike shoe you would recommend for this bike and type of journey?

Thanks
Lee

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Depends do you intend to walk any distance in them?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I just bought a set of shimano mt42 mountain bike spd shoes. Excellent for the commute. Never looking back.
  • team47b
    I use Shimano MTB MT42 as well.

Very comfy, have walked around town in these.

(I actually paused between those two sentences to put my MT42's on!)

Quite narrow, I bought one size bigger, think this is a good idea for wider feet or thick winter socks.
  • willo78
    Brilliant, will try the Mt42's
  • team47b
    torypitt wrote:
    I am so happy to see this post. I saw in the mall this Shimano's SH-M315 and SH-M240. What do you think about them? How can u compare with Mt42. Thanks for your insight. Can't wait to buy a highly recommended model.

Different shoes for different jobs, I guess.

I think that the M240 costs about £125 and the MT42 about£50 - as a comparison I would assume them to be totally different :D
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    +1 for the MT42s. I commute in mine on the Boardman with a bog standard set of Shimano 520 pedals and I can't see me changing them any time soon. Lots of tread on the shoe is great at lights when you don't get the first clip-in right, it means you can still keep pedalling.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • willo78
    edited March 2012
    Just a quick update, I went to a good cycling shop near where I live, I ended up going down the clipless route, I installed shimano R540 pedals and bought a pair of Specialized Sport Road shoes. So glad I went with this combo, it cost me quite a bit but it feels much more comfortable and like I am getting much more out
    of what I put in.

Looking forward to 100 miles of communiting next week.

Lee
  • DOV.LTU
    DOV.LTU Posts: 8
    I have Shimano MT23 MTB SPD Shoes, very comfortable. With them you can even walk.
    Also I have Shimano MT52 SPD Shoes they are good, but not so comfortable to walk with them. I would recommend MT23, because of the price and because they are really comfortable.