Will an 11-34 cassette fit my bike?

rodofgod76
rodofgod76 Posts: 31
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a GT Agressor and have just had the Truvativ BB and crankset replaced in favour of a Deore crankset along with a very badly worn chain by my LBS. They said that quite often the worn chain ruins the cassette too, causing it to jump, but they test rode it and said it was ok. Now since I've got it back, when putting it under extreme load uphill, in a high gear on the middle chain ring, the chain is jumping all over the place. I've tried adjusting the gears but to no avail. It doesn't do it on the flat though, so I thought the cassette must be goosed. The lad who test rode it is around 65kg as well, where as I'm 105kg.

Now the LBS wanted £36 to supply and fit a new Deore, but I've managed to buy a Deore one online, with the tools to change it for £22 or so. Thing is I've ordered an 11-34 cassette instead of an 11-32 which is currently on there. :oops:

Will this cassette fit my current set up, as I could do with a larger lower gear on the middle ring. Especially the SRAM PC951 chain, will that be ok, or will it need extra links added?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be alright. If your chain was on the short side it'll be really short in big/big now, so check that carefully on the stand. Your call if you then put an extra link in or just make sure not to go big/big.
  • njee20 wrote:
    It'll be alright. If your chain was on the short side it'll be really short in big/big now, so check that carefully on the stand. Your call if you then put an extra link in or just make sure not to go big/big.

Oh there's no chance of me ever doing that. I only use the smallest 3 or 4 sprockets when on the big ring.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No issue then.
  • njee20 wrote:
    No issue then.

:D Thanks!!