bashguard size

Keiser1
Keiser1 Posts: 6
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Canyon AM7 and I'm looking at chainging the chain ring from a triple to a double, the sizes are 42/32/24, I've looked at a Raceface light bashguard but I'm unsure as to which size to go for, would I be right in thinking I'd need a size 34 as the middle ring is a 32? There's more options of 36 and a 40 which is confusing me. :?

Thanks,

Dean.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you are keeping the 32T then you need a 32 bash.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thankyou very much for the advise Nick.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so I have been biking a long long time

when I race xc in say 1994, i was running a 44/33/22 set up and as i am quite tall that sort of gear on a seven speed could be tough, but it was a race

my current all mountain runs an e13 drs and i run a 36/24, and to be honest i still feel like i miss a bit of top end gear bite, but you need to think about the max size chain ring you would run, i also think 40 would be useless unless it was only used with an uplift

do most folk run a 36 on a drs?? that is the question

e-13 34t bash stuff was originally marketed at the 4x crowd, and thats a more sprint / pump on groomed surface sort of riding

some of these drs systems do not have much adjustment outside the designed chaining size, so don't buy twice........
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OP- it could make sense to go up to a 36T bashring, to give you room to maneuvre in future. I found a 32T "middle" a little low, not terribly so but 36T does the job a little better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Likewise I have fitted a 36T bash and sized my chain for a 36T wheel as I'm still trying to get a cheap enought 36T middle ring!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.