Are IBIS owners the new Orange owners?

larryb
larryb Posts: 78
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I am not speaking about all, just the majority I come across. Is it just me is any one else notice the higher levels of superior arrogance. No matter what some one rides, can afford or what they know is it not all the same sport? We ride two wheels on trails. Weather MTB, CX or a bloody Penny Farthing. Having a supposedly better stead or componenets can only do so much for riding. I have just rode a Trek 4500 hardtail with fork, bar & stem upgrades for past two years quiet happily with no issues. I have now spent a modest amount on a decent enough full suspension. This serves me fine as I do not see that I require anthing better. I met the world cup MTB team a while ago and they just ride Boardman hardtails with XT. ENOUGH SAID!!!! Does having a better head set than your mate make you a better rider?
Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe they are the greatest bikes ever in the history of the world ridden by gods.
    Poor people like us will probably never know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Think Team Orange will take some beating, especially those who try to bunny hop fallen logs by the side of the green trails at Cannock (bless 'em) or the ones who do the stoppie/manual thing round the car park - sorry Audi park :)
  • larryb
    We can only dream! Imagine how good we would be if had one! Sponsorship deals, tv appearences & signed to a team.

Orange owners posing & not riding???? Shut up , never!!!!
  • cooldad
    You forgot the hot groupies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    the IBIS Trannies?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Can't say I've ever noticed any specific issues with Orange or Ibis owners or owners of any other specific brands.

It seems that dicks will buy all brands of bikes regardless of the brand/cost.

Just too contradict myself, I'd never ever by any thing from Salsa as I've been cut up too many times by there team riders on events.
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    the IBIS Trannies?
    Almost broke my smilie rule for that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    the IBIS Trannies?

nearly gave the game away at work i laughed! :P
  • tofu21 wrote:

It seems that dicks will buy all brands of bikes regardless of the brand/cost.

Sorry, Santa Cruz owners don't fall into this bracket :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeti owners are worst!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    GT owners are worst!

I am having to keep correcting you today Sonic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    No comment...
  • supersonic
    Difference with me is I know I have a good bike. No need to prove it to others ;-)
  • larryb
    I have never come across a Yeti owners!

I would love a SB-66 though but pointless for me!! The 575 I rode in Moab was excellent but not much better than my Canyon. Not to me any way. It still went and stopped. Must admist suspension felt or was set up better!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    Difference with me is I know I have a good bike. No need to prove it to others ;-)
    ^^This man speaks the truth. If you're happy with your bike, quit moaning.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    larryb wrote:
    I met the world cup MTB team a while ago and they just ride Boardman hardtails with XT. ENOUGH SAID!!!!

Which world cup mtb team would that be then? "the" team?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • larryb wrote:
    I have never come across a Yeti owners!

I would love a SB-66 though but pointless for me!! The 575 I rode in Moab was excellent but not much better than my Canyon. Not to me any way. It still went and stopped. Must admist suspension felt or was set up better!

1 who claimed to be an awesome DHer as an excuse to not just saying he wasn't fit at the time :P bit slow too, cor i'm mean today
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Some people are dicks regardless of what bike they ride. I actually see more crap posted by people without expensive bikes slagging off those that do because they have a massive chip on their shoulder. If someone buys an expensive bike it's because they want to not that they need to. We could all ride around on £400 hardtails but where's the fun in that (not forgetting the fact that for some people a £400 hardtail is a posh bike)
  • larryb
    Northwind wrote:
    larryb wrote:
    I met the world cup MTB team a while ago and they just ride Boardman hardtails with XT. ENOUGH SAID!!!!

Which world cup mtb team would that be then? "the" team?

British Cycling MTB Team at Manchester Velodrome. The ones that was featured in one of the mags last month training at Lee Quary
  • Ha ha ha ha ha.... This post makes me laugh!...

As an ex Yeti owner and a current Ibis owner.., by your (and others) rationale, I am a complete and utter ****!.... (which in fairness is probably true)

However!......

Being honest with you, I don't give a **** what you, my mates, my riding buds etc ride, or anyone for that matter!... I don't buy what I buy because I'm trying to impress anyone, I don't buy what I buy because I feel that my skills need it, I don't buy what I buy for any other reason other than it's what I like and it's what I want!...

I, from a young age was always interested in mountain bikes and riding, not just mountain biking, but the new kit, the new technology and the way things make my mountain biking experience better, more fun, more comfortable, easier, a more pleasurable experience etc... I love certain kit that maybe expensive and maybe out of reach of some but it's my money and I can spend it on what I like without needing to justify it to anyone, if others are jealous and think I'm a ****, that that is their issue and it's their insecurities that feel the need to point the finger at someone on a flashy whiz bang carbon bike that makes them envious and jealous of what they are riding!.

I'm unsure why, what bike someone rides matters... If it is flash and trick and expensive, what does that matter to anyone else... The way I see it is that I (as someone that buys this flash expensive stuff) can then pass down knowledge of what it is actually like rather than others saving for a period of time only to invest in sh*t technology but the magazine reviews made them think it was worth buying...

Perhaps I'm taking this personally as I have an Ibis & and used to have a Yeti, but creating divides amongst others in the same sport makes me scratch my head and wonder why!..

If someone came out on a ride with me and my riding buds, they would be welcome regardless of what they rode and would be part of the banter of look at him 'All the gear and no idea' or 'all the kit but well sh*t'... I give the banter (abuse) and I take the banter (abuse) about spending 'X' amount of money on some carbon rims that lasted 2 hours at Swinley!.. But I certainly don't judge or look down on people that can't / don't / won't spend what I do on bikes and stuff!.. ;0)
  • cooldad
    Ha ha ha ha ha.... I am an Ibis owner and a complete and utter ****!....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    larryb wrote:
    I'm taking this personally as I have an Ibis & and used to have a Yeti

Just maybe hehe.

But I ride a hardtail so what do I know.
  • larryb
    I love certain kit that maybe expensive and maybe out of reach of some but it's my money and I can spend it on what I like without needing to justify it to anyone, if others are jealous and think I'm a ****, that that is their issue and it's their insecurities that feel the need to point the finger at someone on a flashy whiz bang carbon bike that makes them envious and jealous of what they are riding!.

I'm unsure why, what bike someone rides matters... If it is flash and trick and expensive, what does that matter to anyone else... The way I see it is that I (as someone that buys this flash expensive stuff) can then pass down knowledge of what it is actually like rather than others saving for a period of time only to invest in sh*t technology but the magazine reviews made them think it was worth buying...

Perhaps I'm taking this personally as I have an Ibis & and used to have a Yeti, but creating divides amongst others in the same sport makes me scratch my head and wonder why!..

Fair Point, the post was about 'Most' and your quiet right, I have bought a car that is way beyond what I need and only does very few miles a week due to my comapny vehicle. But the main point raised among others is that 'they' seem to think that having something like that makes them a cut above the rest and seem to have an attitude of that everything else is sh*t. Which is completely wrong. Just a general know it all arrogance about them. I dont think it is a jealousy or envy issue about what 'they' are riding as people would buy one if the wanted or needed one.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nferrar wrote:
    If someone buys an expensive bike it's because they want to not that they need to.
    Or because they could, you know, afford it.
  • lawman
    Ibis owner's aren't that bad, me excluded of course... :lol:

But seriously, if you get out and ride your bike, no matter what it is, good on you, it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you get out and enjoy it like the rest of us. Yes I find it annoying when members of the audi club show up and can't ride for shit and hold you up everywhere, but I find this is more to do with the person than the bike they ride.
  • Northwind
    Evil owners bug me slightly... The Sov's the greatest bike ever made! Well, it's a 6lb cromo frame that they somehow sell for £600. The Revolt's the greatest bike ever made, ahahahahahaha, well less said about that one the better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Actually, Cotic owners. The way they rave about Hemlocks! ;-)
  • lawman
    Northwind wrote:
    Evil owners bug me slightly... The Sov's the greatest bike ever made! Well, it's a 6lb cromo frame that they somehow sell for £600. The Revolt's the greatest bike ever made, ahahahahahaha, well less said about that one the better.

Interesting you mention evil, yes the sov is great, but I agree its heavy and over priced... the revolt is possibly the biggest flop ever, and the proposed sect and undead? well, when they eventually come out, I'd like to see if they are any good...
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:
    Actually, Cotic owners. The way they rave about Hemlocks! ;-)

I've gone ages without fangasming over mine! And I sold all me other Cotics. Halfords bikes is where it's at now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wait till the carbon oranges come out that will up the pedantic arguments to defcon 2