Top 5 Beginners Component Upgrades

deangy
deangy Posts: 19
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Can anyone suggest their top 5 component upgrades and reasons why I should change them as Im looking to upgrade my Genesis Core 10 (2010) but due to the vast array of components and my limited knowledge I dont want to change the wrong things!

I use my bike for commuting to and from work on road and for off road trails when I get the chance (nothing too demanding, just bombing around the countryside).

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does depend on what is fitted, so cannot give a definitive list. Very generally:

- Tyres
    - Forks
    - Contact points
    - Heavy parts

The Core has a very even spec, but I'd certainly try lighter, folding tyres.
  • deangy
    The bike still has the standard kit I bought it with except some Schwalbe CityJet tyres for my commute. So kit on the bike is
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... 9#features

I'd like to get the best value for money and upgrades that will obviously make the biggest difference but with a realistic budget!
  • If you do alot of trails and countryside riding, some DMR V8 or V12 flat pedals make a good noticeable difference. The V8's are cheaper than the V12's and Halfords sell them aswell.

Also, one of the first mods I did, some Token lock on grips. They are exactly the same as IDO Ruffians, but half the price (I have had both and will stick with Tokens).

As for other upgrades, depends where you want to improve the bike. If you commute, you could stick some bar ends on, like Tioga Powerstuds. A cateye computer is always a nice addition to keep a track of the distance your doing.
  • deangy
    If you do alot of trails and countryside riding, some DMR V8 or V12 flat pedals make a good noticeable difference. The V8's are cheaper than the V12's and Halfords sell them aswell.

Also, one of the first mods I did, some Token lock on grips. They are exactly the same as IDO Ruffians, but half the price (I have had both and will stick with Tokens).

As for other upgrades, depends where you want to improve the bike. If you commute, you could stick some bar ends on, like Tioga Powerstuds. A cateye computer is always a nice addition to keep a track of the distance your doing.

Thanks for that but I was thinking more along the lines of forks, brakes, drivetrain, handlebars etc....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the V8/12 are not very good or light
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    forks, brakes, drivetrain, handlebars

By the time you have upgraded all that, may have well buy a new bike! But is anything actually letting you down?
  • So you dont know what you want to replace and why, you just want people to tell you and your going to do it? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    For me... pedals always (no bikes come with flat pedals that I like). Bars and saddles, usually, just to personal taste. And often tyres, on cheaper bikes, just because OEM tyres are often pretty ropey. Oh and a decent quality seatpost QR.

But that's mostly because I know what I like. No reason to change anything if it does the job you want it to do. Change for change's sake is a mug's game.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • deangy
    So you dont know what you want to replace and why, you just want people to tell you and your going to do it? :roll:

No not at all. Advice is all I was after, from people who are a bit more in the know than I am. Seems Ive not made myself too clear.....sorry about that. The main areas ive got a problem with are the forks and drivetrai. The forks dont seem to absorb the bumps and lumps very well and the views of members on the forum mostly slate the Suntour XTR, and the drivetrain just sounds and feels a bit 'clunky'. Am not after upgrading the whole bike, just a couple of specific parts which would improve my ride. :wink:
  • supersonic
  • deangy
    For the forks between£150 - £200 but having looked at the range of forks for in and around that price bracket Im unsure wether these would make much of a difference from the Suntours????

For example
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54600
  • supersonic
    They are better built, stiffer and better damped. But are better for the money, and that includes another Suntour: the Epicon - this is a great fork:

http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/4 ... -wh-120mm/
  • drivetrain wise i swapped from sram x-5 shifters and rear mech to the xt range. made a very noticable difference with now very precise shifting. i have suntour epicon fork and find them not that bad. i havnt tried more expensive forks but i have no need to upgrade them yet!

as mentions grips and pedals will make you feel more secure on the bike and give more confidence.

saddle for comfort and possible a seatpost to get the desired ride hieght/position.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swapping from X5 (Deore equivalent) to XT will of course give an improvement, an easier upgrade for the OP is to stay SRAM as then he can upgrade a bit at a time, say shifters and then rear mech....X9 are nice, I prefer the X9 on my commuter to the XT on the MTB mostly.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deangy wrote:
    The forks dont seem to absorb the bumps and lumps very well and the views of members on the forum mostly slate the Suntour XTR

Is it an XCR? I had one of those, it was OK though it did wear out rdiculously fast, it needed constant care because of the poor sealing and plastic internals. I'd describe it as one of the worst forks that I'd consider worth having- any worse and I'd go rigid. But they're OK and certainly better than a lot of budget forks, when they work.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    I wouldn't bother with drivetrain unless/until it is worn out. If it's noisey check it's adjusted correctly.

As mentioned above contact points and tyres can make a big difference. I changed the saddle on my Core quite soon after i got it.

Fork upgrade could make a significant difference on Technical stuff. Upgraded an RST Gila to a RS Tora on a bike a few years ago and remember a significant difference in handling. Epicon is a good fork.
    Shot by both sides...