Is the bike I want an oxymoron?

paulus69
paulus69 Posts: 160
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
My workplace has finally opened up the bike2work scheme (its not open all year round) and have decided to upgrade my trusty carrera to a road bike. Mainly after it for commuting, so want the option of sticking mudguards on. Although not sure how mudguards fit to roadbikes, I am currently looking at the specialized allez (http://cyclesolutions-shop.co.uk/p48287 ... -2012.aspx).

Any help appreciated!
Me on Strava
My cycling blog
Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec

Comments

• paulus69
    Its also only £25 extra for the 24 speed version, worth the extra or just extra weight?
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Looking at the ad it appears that this model has no mudguard mounts so you will be restricted to something like Raceblades or Crud racers neither of which are that durable for a commuter.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Manglier wrote:
    Looking at the ad it appears that this model has no mudguard mounts so you will be restricted to something like Raceblades or Crud racers neither of which are that durable for a commuter.

Strange - I've probably covered about 3500 commuting miles on my Ribble Gran Fondo since I fitted Cruds with the loss of only one tailpiece (easily fixed) - they seem plenty durable to me. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Manglier wrote:

Strange - I've probably covered about 3500 commuting miles on my Ribble Gran Fondo since I fitted Cruds with the loss of only one tailpiece (easily fixed) - they seem plenty durable to me. :wink:

Likewise, the cruds have been spot on
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cruds fit mine absolutely fine. Can be a pain if you hit a big pothole, as they might need a fettle to get them to stop rubbing
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Chromoplastic bolt on mudguards last for many years. Any mudguard should last 1 year (3500miles), but mine have soldiered on for 6 or 7 years . If you want mudguards you may as well plan to fit the best and get a compatible bike. Get a roadbike with long drop caliper brakes, eyelets and room for 28mm tyres+full mudguards. You can always run narrower tyres if you want.
    There are plenty of good "winter trainer" style roadbikes such as Kenesis TK , Ribble, Tifosi
  • I'd consider the Cannondale Synapse Alloy as well if you can stretch the budget a bit. It's got eyelets for guards and a rear rack (which means you can use panniers, which many people prefer to a backpack), clearance for proper big SKS mudguards and 28mm tyres, which although heavier are a lot more comfortable than the 23s you're likely to be able to wedge into the Allez. It's a more upright riding position too, which is a little slower but gives you that extra height in traffic. There's always the drops if you want to hammer along quickly...
  • paulus69
    A little bit pricey for me really, my price limit is £600 and it needs to be through cyclesolutions (because its a work scheme)
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For an extra £50, Genesis Aether 10 has long drop (57mm) brakes, clearance for 28mm + mudguards but no upper rear luggage rack eyelets (can be fixed with a seatpost clamp widget with threaded eyelets)
    http://cyclesolutions-shop.co.uk/p39015 ... -2011.aspx
  • paulus69
    Thanks for all of the advice, I have now ordered my bike. I went for the Specilized Secteur as there was more scope for mud guards.
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog