Frame size Mongoose Teocali Elite 2009

awemac
awemac Posts: 5
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am in the market for a new 2009 (!) mongoose teocali elite. it'll be my first FSB. The choice is M or L. The retailer suggested I go with an M however a google search brought up a Teocali frame guide suggesting L(arge). The UK based retailer sits at the other side of the country. A test sit is out of the question. I have contacted the dealer but the advice is very guarded for fear of "being held responsible for an incorrect choice".
The teocali frame guide suggests M for riders 5.6 to 5.9 and L for those 5.9 to 6.1. that would suggest I should be more comfortable on a large frame. standover height is listed as M=746 and L=787mm respectively). I accept that preferences may vary, but as I cannot test sit I really need good advice as I will essentially buy blind. generally not a good idea but the price of the product allows its consideration.
my inside leg is a comfortable 78cm or 31.2 inch. I am 51, weight 84 kg and have fairly muscular legs. I come form a hardtail (19 inch rockhopper) and want to progress into all maintain use and perhaps mild (not wild) downhilling. I won't hold anyone responsible for advice given, but appreciate advice especially from those who know the Teocali frame.
Thanks and Diolch yn Fawr from Wales.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the reach of your rockhopper like, and how does it compare to the Teocali ie effective top tube length? Standover means little to be honest, as does listed frame size, as is so many measurements.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have a Teocali Elite. I am 5'9" with a 29" inside leg and ride a small 16". No problems at all
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is the reach of your rockhopper like, and how does it compare to the Teocali ie effective top tube length? Standover means little to be honest, as does listed frame size, as is so many measurements.

Hi, the teocali is listed as 848mm horizontal TT for M frame and 610 for the large with 90 mm stem . my rockhopper is listed as horizontal TT 615 and 75 mm stem. Not knowing much about bike geometry I would have thought it easier to chose a slightly shorter stem, say 70 mm for the large teocali frame if it felt a bit too stretched rather than a longer stem for a medium frame if cramped? My main riding will be trail centre based. I am currently riding Verderers trail at Forest of Dean focussing on flow and technique rather then speed and target to ride the Twrch trail in Cwmcarn following a recent skills day outing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is theer a typo in there 848mm TT?????

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Guessing that should be 548mm
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Should be 584mm and 610mm. I'd probably go for the M, as a shorter reach could be beneficial for a bike like this and intended use.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    Should be 584mm and 610mm. I'd probably go for the M, as a shorter reach could be beneficial for a bike like this and intended use.
    +1 good advice, as for stand over height, if accurate, large listed as 787mm, your inside leg 780mm, could be painful, you really don't want to be hopping about every time you stop :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • awemac
    Is theer a typo in there 848mm TT?????

Simon
    Hi guys, yes a "typo" it shoud have read 548 not 848 for the horiziontal TT. consensus seems to be to go for the M sized frame. thanks a lot for your helpful advice. :D
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    I am 5' 10" 31.5 inside leg and have a Medium Teocali, I wouldn't want it any bigger.

Good bike btw.
    Shot by both sides...
  • awemac
    Hi guys,
    just a line to thank you for your advice. I have now jumped the fence and ordered the Teocali in M.
    looks like I did iT just in time as the frame size is no no longer listed on the website I bought it from!

Does anyone know what is going on with Mongoose as a company? their website says they don't sell the teocali 2012 range in the US and no UK bikeshop seems to stock the current range (which I think looks very tasty)?!