New tyres needed for C456

Darryl_1983
Darryl_1983 Posts: 96
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been using Small block 8's for a while now, but there about wore out now, actually using a set of WTB Raijin Race Tyre on my off road wheels, and the small blocks to commute on (previously just used the small black 8's to do both on in the summer)

Looking for a set of tires for ridding my local trails (mainly sherwood pines, but also Cannock Chase) Peak District route, the CRC marathons, etc. So a bit of everything but nothing extreme.

On the list at the minute is Conti Mountain King II (Front) and X-King (Back) both black chili. Nobby Nics (either front or back of with a Racing Ralph back), Or maybe a set of Fat Alberts.

Not sure on which compound would be best with the Schwalbe, PaceStar or TrailStar both seem to be about the same price.

There to go on a Carbon 456 (quite new), I'll also probably go for quite a wide tire, maybe 2.4 front, 2.2/2.25 rear. I'm also fairly heavy compared to alot of riders at around 14.5-15 stone, tend to run higher pressurestoo, not sure if this is due to slightly heavy weight of myself or just a mental preference.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Seems whenever i make a decision on which tyres i want i read another bad review that puts me off. Guess i just need to know the benefits of each tyre and combo for the type of riding i'll be doing.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I found Maxxis Advantages worked well around Cannock, they deal with the polished pebbles very well, they were on my old Boardman though and only 2.1".

I've got 2.25" Nobby Nics on my C456, which I like, and with a bit of tweaking have (I think) addressed the issue of them suddenly snapping away from me under hard cornering. I can't remember what compound these are though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I have Conti X-King 2.2 on the back, Nobby 2.25 up front. X-King is a fantastic tyre. Nobby doesn't like wet roots very much but deals with most things ok. As bails has eluded to I need to play around with the pressure a bit. How are you running yours?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most tyres seem to grip,round Cannock, the daughters BF did it on crazy bobs..... I like Panarcaer Fire XC pro as a good 'do almost anything' tyre.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.